Second Life Ranker - Vol. 1 Ch. 21 - <English version>

Dex-chan lover
what's the point of releasing chapters that are already out when there are series no one is translating?

Group Leader
@toastedguy well, from my point of view, nobody else is translating this series. Someone is posting new English chapters of it, yes; but the quality is so low that they cannot even be considered translations. But it's just my opinion, everyone is free to read the one he/she prefers; and, on the other hand, we're free to translate whichever series we want to translate, since we don't translate series for money, views or stuff like that. We like this series and we translate it in English. That's all.

Dex-chan lover
@Ou_KI

I enjoy the series that your working on. But I’m asking this question with respect in mind. How bad are these other translations (this is coming from a person who know little to none about the translation, and typesetting process.)

Group Leader
@Xzayer okay, this is the situation:

TRANSLATION
1) On one hand, there's a group who spends a lot of hours in order to provide the best translation possible. And that's us. We double-check the translations even with the light novel; if you read our last chapters, there are even notes that explain when something is different in the light novel. The light novel has got way more information; so, we have to read very long chapters just to check a single chapter of the manhwa. Moreover, we spend a lot of time even after the chapters have been released, because we keep improving the translations, fixing errors and everything else even after days.
2) On the other hand, there's another group who's doing speed chapters. This is good for a lot of readers that only want to read the chapters fast. They're not so bad that they're completely wrong, I'm not saying this. They're just "fast". Sometimes you cannot even grasp the situation through their translations. And while what I'm saying could be considered "not objective", everyone can just compare the chapters and see if I'm wrong.

REASONS
1) We picked up this manhwa for a very clear reason, and we did state it several times: because we though that Psycho Play was being too slow. This is a weekly series and their releases had become monthly; we waited for them to fix that, but they didn't and we did something about it. Was is a snipe? Yes, it was. Is sniping always bad? No, it's actually never bad. No group owns this series; we all illegally translate it. Only the authors have rights on it.
2) The other group picked up this manhwa even if we were releasing it very frequently. They basically sniped us. But what have I just said? Sniping is not bad in itself. They were free to do it. We don't blame them for it. What we do blame is what they said when they began releasing it: they implied that our chapters had been machine-translated. And that's what made us really angry. Our translator works for free, unlike many other translators that get paid; saying that his translations are Google Translations is very insulting. Since they started this "your translation is bad"-war, here I am, saying that their translation is bad. But while they just said "your machine-translate", we did state why their translations are bad. Our proofreader explained it on Discord, on Mangadex and basically everywhere. No one of them has ever answered her about it; if they think they're doing good, they can just address the issues she found in their chapters. But they won't, because (except one guy, who came to speak with us very kindly; I do thank him) they chose to ignore us, since they've already accomplished their goal of attracting the majority of readers. This isn't our goal and that's why we won't stop translating it.

CLEANING
1) We use the same cleaning method that most famous groups use for webtoons. I won't divulge it here. If someone wants to know about it, just DM me. And the Russians guys, whose scans we're using because we cannot buy raws (not accepting donations nor asking for them), use exactly the same method. Basically, it involves using a software to remove JPEG artifacts that usually come with the raws. We save images in PNG-24, because we don't want to lose any details with lossy formats like JPEG. The files are big, but we split them in 20, so that every file is 3 MiB maximum.
2) On the other group's scans, you can even see JPEG artifacts. Probably, they barely clean them. And they save the images in JPEG, that's always lossy even with maximum quality. They do it because they split the chapters into very few images. This increases the size of the files dramatically and makes the loading time (especially from phones) a pain.

FINALLY
We thank whoever still reads our chapters. Don't worry, we won't stop from doing so!

Thanks for the translation, I'd rather wait for your higher quality translation than read the other one.

Users who are viewing this thread