Seijo ni Uso wa Tsuujinai - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Gambler and Merchant

Contributor
Given the context (There ain't shrines.), I thought the first translation's “shrine maiden” was a poor translation of what was presumeably “みこ”, so it's interesting to see a different translation go with “sorceress”. Altho, after checking the raw, while I was right that it was “みこ”, I see that it used “神子” (god + child) rather than the normal “巫女” (medium/shaman + female). (Actually, that might be common for fantasy series. I don't know.) Is “sorceress” a good translation of that? I probably would not have gone with that without other context. What does the German say on Page 11 (10 in the other translation)? Could that be used? Or is it blocked by his fingers?

Also, I generally object to translating “聖女” as “saint” anyway (Should be “saintess”, as the other translation did.), but given that ye're translating “神子” as “sorceress”, seems extra bizarre to leave off the “ess”.

Last edited:
Group Leader
Given the context (There ain't shrines.), I thought the first translation's “shrine maiden” was a poor translation of what was presumeably “みこ”, so it's interesting to see a different translation go with “sorceress”. Altho, after checking the raw, while I was right that it was “みこ”, I see that it used “神子” (god + child) rather than the normal “巫女” (medium/shaman + female). (Actually, that might be common for fantasy series. I don't know.) Is “sorceress” a good translation of that? I probably would not have gone with that without other context. What does the German say on Page 11 (10 in the other translation)? Could that be used? Or is it blocked by his fingers?

Also, I generally object to translating “聖女” as “saint” anyway (Should be “saintess”, as the other translation did.), but given that ye're translating “神子” as “sorceress”, seems extra bizarre to leave off the “ess”.
Yes, believe it or not, I've probably spent a handful of hours researching regarding the translation of 神子 sorceress/shrine maiden, going back to other series that I have translated that used the term. Shrine maidens are a strictly Japanese cultural word associated with Japanese shrines, it would be strange for there to be shrine maidens in a medieval Catholic setting. The country this is set in was founded by exiled witches so I don't see any problem with the term sorceress.

As for saint, it ultimately comes down to my own preference. When I think of saints like Saint Teresa or Saint Catherine, it would just be silly to add an -ess to a word that has been fine as it is throughout all of history.

Contributor
As for saint, it ultimately comes down to my own preference. When I think of saints like Saint Teresa or Saint Catherine, it would just be silly to add an -ess to a word that has been fine as it is throughout all of history.
But you're losing specificity/meaning. “聖女” is specificly “female saint”. The Japanese wasn't “聖人”.

It gets blocked by his finger :/

Dex-chan lover
Very interesting premise. Thanks for your hard work on the chapter.

This intro reminds me so much of Temenos' story from Octopath Traveler 2, which also started as a murder investigation, and Erald reminds me of Temenos himself lol. Both Chloe and Erald seem very likable so far.

Users who are viewing this thread