Semelparous - Vol. 1 Ch. 4

Group Leader
Hi, translator here to shed some light on the discussion going on here. Don't worry, I won't spoil anything.

If you remember, back in chapter 1, it was mentioned that all Bastioners come from families that have fought Kaijuu for many generations, so it stands to reason that these families have ties to the organization that handles the protection of Earth. I would think that it's the reason why the whole thing hasn't gone public yet. Also, remember that there are only VERY FEW Bastioners, if we were to judge by the number of people in Youko's company (there are only 8, and four of them aren't even professionals yet). There are seven companies, so if we assume all of them have around the same number of soldiers, that would only bring the number to around 54~60, and that's for the whole of Japan. Not to mention that since civilians know basically nothing about the operations of the organization, it's gonna be hard to convince the public that anything shady is going on behind the scenes anyway.

EDIT: Though I would admit that Ogino-sensei could have made this a bit more clear instead of relegating all this information to a single infodump.

Double-page supporter
@afkeroge Even so it's simply implausible the true state of affairs wasn't common knowledge within the Bastioner families - "kith and kin" tend to be among the first people veterans unload to (there's no shortage of surviving correspondance from any number of wars where soldiers - some appalled, some cheerfully indifferent - describe all manner of atrocities they have witnessed and/or participated in to their families). It's also duly nonsensical that the children of those families would not be raised to accept this unpleasant necessity; doubly so if people who actually qualify for (and are any good at, which is inevitably going to be an even smaller number) Bastioner duty are a scarce asset to begin with since if that's the case the powers that be seriously can't afford to keep losing scores of them to easily preventable ragequits.

Dex-chan lover
@afkeroge The numbers of Bastioner have to be higher. In the first chapter there was a whole class of "potential" new Bastioners candidates and it is as you say a family business. To have a stable gene pool and to replace losses over a substantial time frame there has to be a much bigger pool to replenish troops from, especially if you have retire rates high as suggested. Also if you can kill your relatives "indirectly", since they also can be transformed to Kaijuu, it has to be higher. Not to mention maternal leave, for mothers of said families. Lulz.
So if every of this regions pulls every year a class full of recruits it would be around 20 students times 7 region times 25 or 30 year of average Bastioner life or whatever. So for Japan it would be like 3500+ people for combat purpose + their relatives and the military infrastructure to sustain all the logistics. Dunno about infrastructure rebuilding in the inner wall, or why there are buildings in the first place. But excluding some construction jobs doing this shit, we still talking about maybe 10000 people engaged in this ongoing struggle.

And as @RNDM1 is pointing out, if it is your duty and you are raised to "protect" you would be initiated with the necessity to fulfill what is your faith.

Group Leader
Hey, even I don't know much about what is being built up to in this manga, so I'm reserving my judgment for now. Even with the knowledge that I have about the next chapter, it all still seems like a we're not getting the full story. It's up to Ogino-sensei to deliver on the things he has hinted on, and only time will tell if it's all worth it.

EDIT: There's also the issue of how the title of this manga relates to everything. Still absolutely no clues on that front. If you're curious, just google "semelparity."

That being said, Chapter 4 was a real pain to translate, what with all the pseudo-science and shit. I hope my translation was easy to follow.

Dex-chan lover
@afkeroge Thx for TL. Dunno where this is heading. But I like to know more. So keep up the good work.
It has some weak points. But non or less that is also what makes a story. To have some wiggle room isn't to bad.

Side note. I have the impression the front cover body suits/clothing get more and more "desolved" the more chapters come. Maybe it has some sort of clue to it. Or it is just for the aesthetics. Just wanna throw this out there. I quite like these alot.

@Monpetitlys I completely agree. It is the one thing that always bothers me with ecchi manga. They look absurd and it completely takes me out of the moment.

Dex-chan lover
@MoonlightFairy
Same issues with previous Ogino manga (Gamma),
The Yuri could be done in much better way but considering how it was forced, might as well not having any.

This manga should be roughly end with 3-5 volume or something,
I honestly don't see much potential from it, but I'll see how it will turn out for now.

@afkeroge
Appreciated for the translation.
Ogino Jun story is rather enigmatic from what I have read so far, Gamma and The Bones of an Invisible Person.

Since this one is similar to Gamma, Gamma story was kind felt way worse on how the last volume pulled.
I hoping the early Yuri here won't affect the pacing much later especially how Protagonist already making up (at least by determination but not yet mutual feelings of romance).

I assume next chapter (5) is already volume 2?
Author definitely need something else to spice the story mainly the shortage of characters and the random pseudo science it tries to dump.

@Monpetitlys
They're like a balloons tits more than anything LMAO. (Because they're jumping around, running etc)
If you ever read Author works i doubt it can be stopped, best to ask is how it could be drawn without making it looking absurd or ridiculous.

Dex-chan lover
So... it's Attack on Titan but set in the modern day and with terribly drawn boobies.

Thank you but NEXT. XD

Dex-chan lover
thank you for the upload this is an enjoyable series. May this series be long and prosperous.... on a side note still waiting for a yuri version of the Record of the Ragnarok manga. Three thoughts regarding this series, I hope we eventually get some elite or officer types of Kaiju capable of speaking or interacting with each other so we can get a better sense of what the other world's agenda is, because based on what we know of the setup/connection premise so far their invasion plan seems rather self destructive/mutual destruction based since even if they make it through the wall there's a fairly decent shot the invading force may end up wiping itself out sense members comprising each incursion attempt has a doppleganger living in the city they are attempting to breach into and we haven't seen any foreigners being reported as affected by the assaults on japan's sections of the wall. At some point will our protagonists have to deal with Kaiju being piloted by their dopplegangers or the doubles of other bastioners and what happens in those situations since it seems... somewhat self defeating. I also get the feeling they may end up encountering a kaiju so powerful that they have to make the choice of either continue to flail against it and risk it getting through or sacrifice its pilot's double to put it down or the double finds out about the war and sacrifices themself etc. Looking forward to seeing future developments in this series.

Dex-chan lover
Calling it now,one of them is going to be forced to kill the other when their kaijuu suddenly attacks

Does this mean they can also kill themselves if their body appears or does it not work with Bastioners?

Considering the way they tell the story, I’m more leaned towards the former theory, and if that’s the case, I am going to be depressed...

Dex-chan lover
Ch 4 and people still complaining about boobs, maybe if you keep repeating the same comment, next vol things will change!

I'm actually very curious about that link, this defense force knows who the person inside the invaders are after examining their bodies, but I wonder if their behavior changed in the normal world the moment the link started... is really hard to pinpoint when or who will be the next but there could be wild camera footage somewhere.

I really like all except that some things are predictable... like for example "aaahh she got 2 friends now!" and then next chapter "random people die when u kill a kaijuu" .... like.... reaallyyyyyyyyyyy.

And going into psychopath mode, if you can recognize a person in the normal world behaving abnormally, if you kill that person, the kaiju dies without a fight.....

Double-page supporter
i-need-a-bigger-monitor_o_3176429.webp

Users who are viewing this thread