Semi-colon on Manga

Hello, guys. This is my first time here. I just want to know if you put semi-colon in manga; and if not, then what do you use as an alternate? Is it em-dash or en-dash? I need advice because I just write and my partner would draw. Be gentle with me guys. God bless you

Dex-chan lover
The writing in manga (and indeed comics generally) is typically not sophisticated enough to require deep thought about the use of semicolons or the various dash types. Nonetheless, if you want run with the erudite cool kids, I would recommend the Chicago Manual of Style (subscription mostly required, but some users may have institutional access), but there are other free systems out there too like the Wikipedia Manual of Style.

Dex-chan lover
Hello, guys. This is my first time here. I just want to know if you put semi-colon in manga; and if not, then what do you use as an alternate? Is it em-dash or en-dash? I need advice because I just write and my partner would draw. Be gentle with me guys. God bless you

The semicolon is rarely used these days, so you probably won't need it. The two most common uses for semicolons in contemporary US English are...

1) To separate items in "and/or" lists when some or all of the list items contain commas.
⬇️
My favorite foods are shellfish; tart desserts, like lemon ice, red currant cake and rhubarb pie; and roasted vegetables, especially brussels sprouts and broccoli.

2) To join two independent clauses, each of which could be a complete sentence on its own, without the use of a conjunction.
⬇️
You've got nothing to worry about; it's a done deal.
I just want to know if you put semi-colon in manga; and if not, then what do you use as an alternate?​
⬆️
The use of a semicolon in this sentence, for example, is incorrect because you are using a conjunction ("and") to join the two clauses. You should use a comma instead.​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread