Sensei ni wa Mada Iwanai - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Uwaaah after many year i read in pixiv, finally!!! Thank a lot to translate this series!!!

Group Leader
Good for a first effort!
A few things, though:
1. You need to work on your phrasing. Don't try to match how you write your translations to the Japanese sentence structure because English grammar is drastically different from Japanese grammar. Work with the target language in mind more than anything else. You can revise the lines to make them sound more natural in the language you're translating to. For example, for page 8, you could have worded the teacher's dialog as "I'm a bit busy because the term is ending." instead.

2. You need to get better fonts. Wild Words is okay as the standard dialog font, but using Manga Temple is a no-no. A common technique for panels with shouting is to just use your main font, but make it bold. It does wonders for your consistency. As a rule, if the original Japanese text doesn't switch fonts, neither should you.

3. Text in parentheses are there to serve as the "reading" of the Japanese text that overrides what's actually written in the bubble. No need to translate both, just the one that works better for the situation.

4. Don't try to fill up the whole bubble. A little white space will give your text breathing room. It's also important to keep your main text as consistent in size as possible within a page. You can deviate from this standard by +/-2pt, but only if there's too much or too little space in your bubble.

Good luck in your future releases, @KingSnowman8!

Group Leader
@afkeroge Thanks so much for your feedback!!

Yeeah as I was reading back through it a few times after I posted and I kept thinking at spots, "this could sound better..." I'll keep your advice on that in mind for the next chapter!

Actually the Japanese text does indeed use multiple fonts which is why I matched those switches. (4 seperate fonts even!) I may still stick with matching those but I'll look into different fonts and try and do away with MangaTemple (if you have any reccomendations please let me know! 😊)

I'll try and make the font sizes more consistent and give those bubbles some breathing room as well like you suggested!

Thanks a ton for the advice!

Group Leader
@KingSnowman8 You can try reading this for some basic tips: https://mangadex.org/title/43627/anonblack-s-typesetting-guide

While that covers most bases, some fonts work better than others. Experience factors in a lot with how you choose fonts as well, so just keep practicing and you'll definitely improve.

Dex-chan lover
I don't know how is it that I was following this series, but I'm so glad I did so I could see this update.

Thank you so much!

Having said that, never say "I'll see this to the end" it brings bad luck!

Group Leader
I read this manga in pivix one time but i didnt understand anything xDDD THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS
for be your first time, i think it was well :DD practice is the key i guess. I'm same too. So, keep forward :D

tips:
I use this page for download sources: https://www.dafont.com/es/
and use:
Augie for out-of-balloon conversations
New Wild for thoughts and balloon text
Showcard for actions
Smack atrack for the text in the boxes
Zap ray gun for the screams
DigitalStrip for everything that is cell phone text

At least I like the way it looks visually and is useful. Hopefully it will help you

Group Leader
@AracelyADC Thanks for the suggestions! I'll grab those and play around with them and see what I like when I start typesetting chapter 2.

As you said practice is key so hopefully the quality of my releases will evolve with each new chapter!
Thanks again! 😁

Users who are viewing this thread