Sensitive Boy - Vol. 4 Ch. 31 - Date with Rio

Aggregator gang
I feel like there was no risk. She knew it wouldn't happen, 100%. She pretty much saw right through Seto from the beginning, even if she didn't know the details. What happened here was her plan, apart from not expecting such a reveal of personal history, perhaps. She's an adult and has had her own share of poor relationships, including love that didn't turn out to be love, so she has got the life experience for this.

She did exactly the right thing. Seto was being so stubborn that she was left with no choice but to choose this somewhat forceful approach. At least now she understands fully what is driving Seto to be so obsessed with "normal" love.
I dunno, I think an adult shouldn't ask for something similar to a kid, especially after a confession. There's only my opinion, though. As a parent, I wouldn't appreciate if my son happened to be in a similar situation, above all, even knowing the adult person has no ill intentions.

Dex-chan lover
I think we got our 2nd MVP contestant here.

She dealt with this in a sensitive way, she respected his feelings but wanted him to realize that it wasn't what he was really looking for.

If she turns out to be another supportive character and the only proper adult he can actually trust, then he will have won way wore than a simple romantic relationship. And maybe he can also give her some support too...

Dex-chan lover
That male middle school teacher is the kind of guy I want buried.

You know that "You're a lucky kid" comment wouldn't have happened if the rapist wasn't a "conventionally attractive" woman or a man.

Perpetuate the extremely fucked up mindset that young boys cannot be mentally/sexually abused.

Dex-chan lover
Someone needs to tell seto there is no such thing as normal just what we (and society) perceive as outsiders looking at only the surface level of other people relationships, and it's perfectly acceptable to not not be in one at his age.

Also that male treacher is scum

Dex-chan lover
I dunno, I think an adult shouldn't ask for something similar to a kid, especially after a confession. There's only my opinion, though. As a parent, I wouldn't appreciate if my son happened to be in a similar situation, above all, even knowing the adult person has no ill intentions.
I can understand your point of view, but I'd like to say this is only relevant for someone in exactly Seto's position, including Seto confessing to Rio and being insistent about it. If she had simply tried to argue against his feelings, like she already tried, it would have only hurt Seto more, due to his strive to become what he views as normal. So, Rio had to do it like this so that Seto himself would realise what's wrong about what he believed to be his romantic love toward Rio. That realisation had to start within Seto himself; Rio was unable to convince him.

Of course you could also say that none of this was any of Rio's business, so she might have even needed to simply fire Seto if their cooperation at work got too cumbersome. But apparently she was too warm and good person for that. At the end of the day, their first meeting was due to Rio noticing everything was not okay with Seto when he was standing outside the cafe. That's just the kind of person she is.

Aggregator gang
Canon event nearly complete. She a goat. She destroyed the rose tinted glasses and stated firmly “you see me as a homie, homies don’t kiss homies“

I feel bad for Seto, but he needs to step out of this self hating and pity stage. It’s not his fault. Rio help build up the scare tissue!

Dex-chan lover
While I am glad it worked out I still think Rio took a HUGE gamble doing this. You can have a heart to heart without daring the kid to kiss you just to prove a point.

What really hit me though was that last comment from the Japanese readers, really cut deep.

Maybe Kaede never becomes “normal” in that his sexual assault will loom every relationship he has from now on, but would that be a bad thing? Can you still live a fulfilling life even being dealt a bad hand?

Honestly, if we’re going that route , I would really respect the author for allowing for a world where the protagonist isn’t “healed” by the end but can still be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread