Sensou Kyoushitsu - Vol. 6 Ch. 17.5 - Side Story

Dex-chan lover
Some nature vs nuture shit, where I cant tell if the Garland is actually psychotic trying to emulate empathy or if her detachment towards life is a coping mechanism so she isnt burdened by the guilt of mass genocides. Since her "father" is the one trying to raise her as a nuke that feels no remorse I'm leaning towards the latter. I guess it could just be her moral compass actively getting molded so her views on whats right and wrong are changing non-stop

Dex-chan lover
Welp, looks like her Dad stomps out any inkling of empathy in the Garland before she can even begin to understand how to process it. No wonder her moral compass seems to be way off.
It's weird though. He says he doesn't understand her (which does not mesh with my previous understanding that he made her this way) and at times it almost looks like he does give her space to feel something in responce, like with those two Rami holding hands while dying. There's definitely more going on here, but I can't quite grasp it right now.

Dex-chan lover
thanks for the TL. Even the volume extras n side story are detailed and long af, how has the author n artists not cracked yet lol

Reactions: le3
Dex-chan lover
I will be honest... I want these two dead.

Ignoring the obvious complex nature of whatever happens in their heads... their kill count is already too far up that they can be allowed to live.

The girl has a power that should not be allowed to exist, and her dad... should not be allowed to educate someone like her.

And this talk about "soldiers can kill whoever they want"... I don't care what era they live in, I don't care the value of life their society has... what I care, about is that people like them should not be allowed to go around, even less with the powers they have.

I understand that our motley crew isn't much better in the head... but at least they aren't killing people for pleasure and giggles.

Dex-chan lover
He says he doesn't understand her
What i can get from this chapter is that Garland-chan isn't a psycho at all, but daddy is.
And since she's a child, she's mimicking her parent's behavior, which results in that ruthless, deranged persona we see most of the time. But again, she isn't a psycho, so as hard as she tries, she can't become fully desynthesized to the violence around her, so when she's met with the overwhelming violence, her mask briefly falls.
Dad is likely trying to egg Garland-chan into becoming more like him, but can't make heads or tails of her behavior because, while she may be cold and detached most of the time, these occasional displays of compassion make it hard to tell if his plan is working or not.

Dex-chan lover
Some nature vs nuture shit, where I cant tell if the Garland is actually psychotic trying to emulate empathy or if her detachment towards life is a coping mechanism so she isnt burdened by the guilt of mass genocides. Since her "father" is the one trying to raise her as a nuke that feels no remorse I'm leaning towards the latter. I guess it could just be her moral compass actively getting molded so her views on whats right and wrong are changing non-stop
Genocide is always a "mass" thing. Either use "mass murder" or "genocide". Mass genocide makes no sense.
In her case, it is genocide. Which already is the ultimate crime against a population.

Dex-chan lover
For the curious, this extra chapter was in fact published in the month between Ch 17 and 18. That is, the authors spent their precious monthly spot to put this on the magazine itself before it even got compiled into the volume, so you bet they did it with some intent.

It's weird though. He says he doesn't understand her (which does not mesh with my previous understanding that he made her this way) and at times it almost looks like he does give her space to feel something in responce, like with those two Rami holding hands while dying. There's definitely more going on here, but I can't quite grasp it right now.
To be exact, in the raw text the father says he doesn't understand her [ツボ] Admittedly since "tsubo" can mean so many things it's hard to figure out which one's applicable here, but I think I finally got it: "pressure point", what gets a reaction out of her.

That is, given that the father's customised method for killing both Rami was what made the Garland burst out in laughter, he was basically saying he "doesn't understand what pushes her buttons she gets a kick out of". Might I have the right idea, @blueherozx1 ?

Supporter
Garland is a really interesting character
But her dad is the opposite, we dont see how he >actually< wins fights and he's shallow, barely says anything and when he did (this chap) It was Just to fool a child
Like i hope he gets, something? Because the way he is right now is Just a "villain of the week" writing

Dex-chan lover
Garland is a really interesting character
But her dad is the opposite, we dont see how he >actually< wins fights and he's shallow, barely says anything and when he did (this chap) It was Just to fool a child
Like i hope he gets, something? Because the way he is right now is Just a "villain of the week" writing
This is the man who is declared a Zoe-level threat and can kill off other powerful Rami, no way he wouldn't get anything

Supporter
This is the man who is declared a Zoe-level threat and can kill off other powerful Rami, no way he wouldn't get anything
I hope he isnt Garlands actual dad, so we pretty much have the same plot on both sides but with different approaches
And would be a better way to justify How he treats her (aka as long as she explodes something shes Fine)

G-P

Dex-chan lover
Should our antagonists have a compelling backstory that shows just how much hardship and unfairness they had to endure so that the readers can understand why these two fucks ended up as something even below human trash? Nah, just make them murderhobo trash who kill for the sake of it, no one cares lmao.
:facepalm:

Should our antagonists have a compelling backstory that shows just how much hardship and unfairness they had to endure so that the readers can understand why these two fucks ended up as something even below human trash? Nah, just make them murderhobo trash who kill for the sake of it, no one cares lmao.
:facepalm:
I'll never understand the mentality some people have that every villain has to be sympathetic and/or redeemable or its a failure in writing. There are times when that kind of development works well but not always. Honestly after seeing how psychotic these two are if we got some tear jearker backstory it would fall flat on its face as there is really nothing that justifies this behavior. I am interested in how they came together and why the father is so strong but idc how tough the genocidal lunatics upbringing was tbh.

G-P

Dex-chan lover
I'll never understand the mentality some people have that every villain has to be sympathetic and/or redeemable or its a failure in writing. There are times when that kind of development works well but not always. Honestly after seeing how psychotic these two are if we got some tear jearker backstory it would fall flat on its face as there is really nothing that justifies this behavior. I am interested in how they came together and why the father is so strong but idc how tough the genocidal lunatics upbringing was tbh.
I've not used "sympathetic, redeemable, tear jerker" or any other loaded words. Stop putting words in my mouth you lewd harlot. The author made an extra chapter focused on those two and instead of showing us how they ended up where they are or give them at least a bit of depth, we got this pointless bonus chapter of them killing and basically fucking shit up cause yolo. Talk about a wasted opportunity.

Dex-chan lover
I hope he isnt Garlands actual dad, so we pretty much have the same plot on both sides but with different approaches
And would be a better way to justify How he treats her (aka as long as she explodes something shes Fine)
Personally, I'd say they're meant to be like a contrast of Lucas and the Pope's relationship. Specifically, both senior figures want to groom their mighty juniors.
The difference with Lucas is that as much as the Pope seems to want him as a successor, he's been giving Lucas plenty of room to exercise his own thoughts and respects and approves many of them, while the Garland's bloodthirsty "father" is continually twisting her thoughts and values.

The author made an extra chapter focused on those two and instead of showing us how they ended up where they are or give them at least a bit of depth, we got this pointless bonus chapter of them killing and basically fucking shit up cause yolo. Talk about a wasted opportunity.
Speaking as a reader who caught this chapter at the original time of release, my guess at the authors' intention is to build up our villains a bit more Lucas' party most likely collides with them. After all, the Garland is one of their targets on this campaign, and the father is now on their tail.

Users who are viewing this thread