Sensou Kyoushitsu - Vol. 6 Ch. 17 - The War Diocese

Dex-chan lover
I think you hit it on all points but the last. Zoe isn't using any special ability to manhandle Tem. People tend to forget that Zoe is a very athletic woman who is physically bigger than most men in her era. She's just butch and Tem is a small, skinny boy in comparison to her; plus he's already bleeding to death. Basically, the imperials let her walk out waiting for her to use up her powers, not realizing that she could just grab Tem and stop him the normal way.
I do think she has good physicality.

I said that mostly because Lucas seemed to think she may have done something, and with the clear hint that she is close to blooming I do think her interpretation of her power will expand.

If Zoe's ability is to take "strength" from her future selfs, there are a lot of possible interpretations.

The mirror ramus stopped needing mirrors the moment she bloomed because her ability's interpretation expanded its reach to probably consider the very "surface" of "space" as a reflecting point, allowing her to do the crazy shit she did.

I think Zoe was so unphased about all the teleporting because her "temporal coordinate" already is accustomed to shifting which made her able to quickly adapt.

Reactions: le3
Dex-chan lover
People tend to forget that Zoe is a very athletic woman who is physically bigger than most men in her era. She's just butch and Tem is a small, skinny boy in comparison to her; plus he's already bleeding to death.
I think that was a very funny way of defeating him. It looks like he doesn't even think of getting out of Zoe's grasp, he probably thinks Zoe is using her power too. Even the threat of power has power, as they say.

Reactions: le3
Dex-chan lover
Time weaving + starlight = …. Feel like the theme here is that the Rami we’re familiar with are just scratching the surface of their powers conceptually. The fact he’s controlling light and the orientation of stars ( it’s probably not an illusion but he’s actually moving celestial objects), conveying that information selectively and through audio signaling is just a mental limitation he’s artificially created. Like the mirror chick who was limited by manifesting her transdimensional abilities using mirrors

Dex-chan lover
hi, former translator of the manga here. noticed a lot of questions/points being made, so i'd like to respond to them. just to provide some context, i had to "retire" as a translator due to graduating soon and becoming overall more busy. anyways...
i agree with everything Gamria said! i can understand why "emperor" became "mikardo", because the way its written in the raws make it seem that "mikado" (that is how it is written, transliterated) could be the name of a character, but its meant to be the emperor, just written in katakana instead of kanji. usually, you'd expect it to be written in kanji. that's why i am a bit more understanding of this error.
the other two errors on pg 33 and pg 52, i don't understand. assumedly the translation was rushed? i'm sad it happened, but i'm sure the translator will appreciate that this is being brought to light! and of course, thank you for pointing it out!
Ah, it's an honour that my points have met your approval! And thanks for your hard work all this time, I too understand about not wanting to overload yourself, having served as an amateur proofreader one time for a scan group in my later university years.

@ThreeWolfMoon @Toaster
you are absolutely right, what lucas actually says is "Does his branch give him superhuman strength?!", which is indeed almost exactly what Toaster suggested.
Proposed tweak, maybe "Some kind of superhuman strength ability!?" to more closely match Lucas' tone. Choosing "ability" instead of "Ramus power" to save on space and repetition.

@mrboxeater @alacaelum @sssr
This manga is too creative at killing people using all these unique powers lol. Zoe is too cute wonder wuts her blossoming powers going to do and how did she escape without using her powers?
With the corrections I pointed out in my previous post in mind, what Lucas and Demi are thinking on Pages 52 and 53 is that Zoe too has become stronger without needing to access her power, possibly a sign that she too is gradually getting closer to Flowering... and hence, is somewhat mentally maturing, even with her current state.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Time weaving + starlight = …. Feel like the theme here is that the Rami we’re familiar with are just scratching the surface of their powers conceptually. The fact he’s controlling light and the orientation of stars ( it’s probably not an illusion but he’s actually moving celestial objects), conveying that information selectively and through audio signaling is just a mental limitation he’s artificially created.
If we're talking about orientation of stars, the Garland who can pull in meteors may as well be doing that already.

I will say that from what Volume extras I could find, the Pope assesses from experiments that Ryuka doesn't create actual lights when he uses his powers. These lights are in fact illusions, perceived by those who hear his music. Genjutsu pretty much.

If I were to guess at Lucas' true capabilities, it'd be more than military commands, doesn't necessarily require his bugle as a medium and can mind control entire city populations into doing what he wants and they will like it. Would match my impression of the Pope grooming Lucas into a successor.
It being named "Starlight" is perhaps a reference to how since ancient times people have looked to the stars for guidance, be it for astrology or navigation.

Dex-chan lover
I will say that from what Volume extras I could find, the Pope assesses from experiments that Ryuka doesn't create actual lights when he uses his powers. These lights are in fact illusions, perceived by those who hear his music. Genjutsu pretty much.
What are the volume extras like? Are they in the printed manga, on twitter or something?

Dex-chan lover
What are the volume extras like? Are they in the printed manga, on twitter or something?
I don't know the rationale, but the authors have posted volume extras on their Twitter account.
https://x.com/sora_toumori

Most content there are either extras, in the form of "Daily Routine Notebooks" showing the lives of the characters, or what appears to be their old one shots. It's harder these days to navigate, what with the "no sign in, no chronological order" thing going on, but it helps that their post count is relatively short.

For instance, Notebook 4 below shows them experimenting with Ryuka's power
https://x.com/sora_toumori/status/1580876899567702018

Notebook 7 has the Pope, Lucas and Miura playing Uno. Yes you heard me, Uno. According to the Pope, pretty much any information can be put into the Tower, from religious text to candy recipes to efficient training methods to card game rules
https://x.com/sora_toumori/status/1596780270459711488

Notebook 9 has Cora explain that because her power to transfer wounds/diseases requires it to first be transferred to her being, if she doesn't currently have a corresponding "location" on her body it cannot be conducted.
https://x.com/sora_toumori/status/1603744728197234688

Notebook 20 is a scene from the Mirror's past. Even after giving birth, she's so strong that there's no point in other Rami fighting with her
https://x.com/sora_toumori/status/1681192423706468353

Notebook 27, which appears to follow Ch 17, has Udo explain that there's no formal process for a Ramus to attain a title. In many cases, probably including his Bloodtying Ramus title, it's pretty much having people call them one thing or another until something settled. In a sense, it's proof of their activity and accomplishments.
(There are of course those who come up with their own titles, but Lucas thinks that's lame)
https://x.com/sora_toumori/status/1760847696498405657

There are many other neat stuff among the Notebooks, but because they appear to have posted up to Volume 6 content (up to Ch 19?), caution is advised if you don't want to be spoiled.

Dear Wizard Scans,

Thanks for another instalment of this series as usual. However, with all due respect, perhaps it's due to having a different Translator and Proofreader, but I noticed this chapter's text is overall clunkier than those before, with some dialogue even being incorrect.

If I may, I'd like to point out the most important ones:

Page 33
https://mangadex.org/chapter/cc6b5408-7c9d-437a-a591-f5b24144d7ee/33

開花が近い枝憑き means "Ramus who is close to Flowering". Demi's explanation here ought to be:

He's probably close to 'Flowering'. / Among Rami who approach Flowering, / there are times when their bodies become stronger in order to put up with their power.

Page 48
https://mangadex.org/chapter/cc6b5408-7c9d-437a-a591-f5b24144d7ee/48

ミカド / "Mikado" here is mostly likely 帝 for "Emperor". Which given they are the Empire of Erin, makes sense their ruler would be an Emperor.

In turn, Tem/Temu's 恩返し/"repay a favour" here is likely to be a positive thing. So his last words ought to be:

Just when I thought / I can finally pay back the Emperor's favour...

And as an aside, based on Ch 11, the name of the captured "weight-manipulation" Ramus is Sara/Sarah. A future chapter confirms it.

Page 52
https://mangadex.org/chapter/cc6b5408-7c9d-437a-a591-f5b24144d7ee/52

Please adjust Lucas' lines here in accordance with my clarification for Page 33. Furthermore, Demi's last 2 speech bubbles here need to account for 精神, or "mind/spirit/soul".

'When a Ramus' mind and spirit have greatly matured' / appears to be the case.

精神 is fluid in whether it refers to the mind and/or spirit in different situations and we Asians are used to it, but the important thing here is it does NOT include the body and the physical. Your current translation being so general on what is "maturing" risks misconception that it includes the physical, when only the mental is the case

Accordingly, please amend Lucas' first remarks about Zoe on the next Page 53 too

--

I hope your team will find this useful
Hey, I was the new translator here. Thank you for your comment and very in-depth explanation of some errors made, my apologies! I'm still new to translating so I hope everyone is patient with me :' ) I'll try to triple-check and improve my translations!

Dex-chan lover
Hey, I was the new translator here. Thank you for your comment and very in-depth explanation of some errors made, my apologies! I'm still new to translating so I hope everyone is patient with me :' ) I'll try to triple-check and improve my translations!
I'm sure translating a series like this must take a ton of effort, so thank you for your work.
I hope you don't mind one more thing: I feel like sometimes you're trying to stick to the original word order too much. Like on page 50, Zoe saying "My power, I didn't use it". I'm sure it sounds fine in japanese, but in english just say "I didn't use my power".
Also, "Carl-senpai" stuck out to me, since all the characters are european (and honorifics have never been used before)

Thanks for being receptive to suggestions!

I'm sure translating a series like this must take a ton of effort, so thank you for your work.
I hope you don't mind one more thing: I feel like sometimes you're trying to stick to the original word order too much. Like on page 50, Zoe saying "My power, I didn't use it". I'm sure it sounds fine in japanese, but in english just say "I didn't use my power".
Also, "Carl-senpai" stuck out to me, since all the characters are european (and honorifics have never been used before)

Thanks for being receptive to suggestions!
:meguuusad: Yeah, I noticed that this was a bad habit of mine and i'm trying to change it! Thank you for the suggestion!

Dex-chan lover
Ah, tis an honour that my explanations reached you, glad to have met your approval!

Everyone starts somewhere, so I understand that errors happen. I also had my share of mistakes when I was a proofreader a long, long time ago. But the fact you're open to feedback shows you will be able to improve, so keep at it!

:meguuusad: Yeah, I noticed that this was a bad habit of mine and i'm trying to change it! Thank you for the suggestion!
Your guess is correct in that the Japanese sentence syntax is different from English so it's not always for the best to stick with it.

That said, from my experience, untangling a long foreign string of nouns, adjectives, verbs and adverbs and trying to figure out what is attributing what and how they're linked can be a very frustrating and tedious process, in a way that most who've never tried it just cannot fathom. So it's a good idea for the initial translation to first stick to the original syntax and get the meaning and author intent right, then localise to sound English afterwards. Get the basic foundations down before building on them.

The heavy work is why I believe good proofreaders are helpful: not just to grammar check, but also to polish the translation further, and to act as a second eye to see if anything from the original Japanese text were missing or misinterpreted.

Dex-chan lover
Oh, before I forget

@Iambonsai @blueherozx1 While I have you folks' attentions, hope it's okay for me to ask this: before you eventually move onto Ch 18, will you first do Side Story 1? It's just that Side Story 1 was actually published in the magazine in-between 17 and 18, and I was wondering if you intend on doing the same?

Alternatively, did Side Story 1 wind up compiled into say, the end of Volume 6? If so, can wait until after you're done with its chapters, might even work better content-wise.

Group Leader
Oh, before I forget

@Iambonsai @blueherozx1 While I have you folks' attentions, hope it's okay for me to ask this: before you eventually move onto Ch 18, will you first do Side Story 1? It's just that Side Story 1 was actually published in the magazine in-between 17 and 18, and I was wondering if you intend on doing the same?

Alternatively, did Side Story 1 wind up compiled into say, the end of Volume 6? If so, can wait until after you're done with its chapters, might even work better content-wise.
Are you talking about about the side story that happen in Hispania? If so yes the team plan to do it

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Are talking about about the side story that happen in Hispania? If so yes the team plan to do it
Yes that's the one. Pardon me if I was unclear, I didn't want to mention characters for the unacquainted

Group Leader
Yes that's the one. Pardon me if I was unclear, I didn't want to mention characters for the unacquainted
No no nothing like that, you're pretty easy to understand, it's just that I'm a new member of the team, and saw a folder named 17.5, was like maybe it's the chapter he's talking about, so I wanted to make sure by including a name we never heard of before

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
This series always has such cool and unique uses for what seem like really niche powers, crazy how a power that on the surface seems kinda useless hard counters what's basically limitless

Users who are viewing this thread