Shadows House - Digital Colored Comics - Ch. 173 - Solidarity

Dex-chan lover
Fire... let me introduce you to this here pot of gasoline... Now be friends.
So we are going to have a three-way struggle of wits. Now if Anthony were to liven thing up even further. This barbecue is going too be wild.

Dex-chan lover
OH MY GOD! They've already put in a background that nobody expected! So Candy is the same age as Emilico? She looks younger and doesn't seem to have a good personality, and she even ran away, without taking our Flower Garden (a one-sided friendship? poor Emilico)! Above all... how much is Christopher interfering?! The situation is becoming more and more suffocating...~:haa:💦
Thk you for the wonderful translation~

Dex-chan lover
This Candy character just suddenly coming out of nowhere and I don't what's going to happen next.

Heck, I don't even understand what is Anthony's objective. Is it aligned with Kate's or he simply wants to rule the house as his own?

Thanks for the chapter.

I didn't expect their brainswashing was undone already lol. How did they do it? Did they just discover it by themselves or it was triggered by something else like Anthony on the backscenes? I wonder. Well, that was indeed a twist I wasn't expecting. To think that there are lots of opposing factions and groups fighting inside the house is scary. Looking forward for what's gonna happen next! XD

Double-page supporter
Feel like stella/candy being from emilykos past is a bit cheap and BSy. Am definitely interested in where this is going
It feels like a hook, that makes no sense now, but will probably be well explained later. It would make more sense if they just thrown now that Emilyko knows here, and then explained where she know her from later, when they can give us a plausible story, instead of just mentioning it in passing as a talk Flower Garden and Kate had.

Tbh this chapter feels thrown apart, because (I presume) author wants to keep some stuff the MC's are doing secret until they happen, which is why we get jump cuts to action(with presumed flashback/summary of planning), but is also simultaneously trying to introduce new characters with connections to MC's, which would require showing the MC's discussion/thinking about the new characters, with possible flashbacks/summary of their past.

Doing it like this feels bad, because it's author trying to have it both ways.

Group Leader
A new power arises.

How many are there?

Kate's, Anthony's, Edward's, The Adults', and now Candy's. Still not sure whether she's independent or is part of Anthony's, though.

Her manner of talking reminds me of Maggie. That haughty and so mighty tone.

Last edited:
Contributor
I must've simply missed this or forgot, but "Candy" being another member of Emilico's circus troupe (actually the star acrobat and the one that Emilico admired) had me surprised.

Considering she went missing even before Emilico and the others got abducted into the manor, I'm puzzled over her entering the manor after Emilico did (including her presence in the school just before abduction, I really thought she came from that village), normally I'd assume she got abducted first.

And yeah, the biggest surprise for me here is that "Candy" is not merely Emilico 2.0... no sir, she's kinda sly and rather foul-mouthed by comparison which makes her rather interesting.

Feel like stella/candy being from emilykos past is a bit cheap and BSy. Am definitely interested in where this is going
It feels like a hook, that makes no sense now, but will probably be well explained later. It would make more sense if they just thrown now that Emilyko knows here, and then explained where she know her from later, when they can give us a plausible story, instead of just mentioning it in passing as a talk Flower Garden and Kate had.

(...)

Doing it like this feels bad, because it's author trying to have it both ways.
I agree. I think it feels out of place because Emilyko should've talked about this WAY earlier. It feels like Kate and Emilyko should already have lots of opportunities to talk about this, and talking about it in the garden instead of in their own room does feel a little off. I guess they're simply busy.

I must've simply missed this or forgot, but "Candy" being another member of Emilico's circus troupe (actually the star acrobat and the one that Emilico admired) had me surprised.

Considering she went missing even before Emilico and the others got abducted into the manor, I'm puzzled over her entering the manor after Emilico did (including her presence in the school just before abduction, I really thought she came from that village), normally I'd assume she got abducted first.
I was also about to say this! I mean, the "circus" is travelling, right? The circus isn't originally from the village in Soot Island.
So how would she actually be part of the troupe?
I can suspend my disbelief on this aspect I just asked about, sure. Let's say "Candy is someone Emilyko already knows for months because she's already part of the troupe".

Then how did she enter the manor? I can't believe she followed the "normal procedure" of being a school children in the village in this case, because if she's part of the troupe, it means she must have been missing from school for LONG periods of time since the troupe we're talking about is a "travelling circus" that normally visits different towns. That by itself would rule out her behavior being "good" in the eyes of the school, and I doubt she would enter selection that way if she's originally from the school.

You can't have both. She's one or the other. Either:
1. She's originally from the school and somehow she got roped in to be part of the troupe during the short amount of time that the circus is visiting the town (which doesn't explain how she's so well-trained to walk on the tightrope and is apparently Emilyko's mentor),

2. Or she's actually part of the troupe and didn't enter via normal procedure of the school selection.

I'm more inclined to believe the latter theory. Especially BECAUSE her brainwashing is undone, and even her own shadow seems to be scared / surprised at this relevation. If she knows something is amiss in this manor, then that explains both her entering the manor outside of standard procedure (like Kate does), AND explains why she could have her brainwashing undone in the first place (suspicion towards the manor -> avoiding the soot coffee, again, like Kate does)

Now all we need is just a motive. She is trying to protect a friend who she knows is going to the creepy manor one way or the other? Seems likely. It could be Emilyko, it could be someone else in the school who talked enough about what goes on in the village to make her suspicious. Either theories are still more believable to me than her being part of the school in this village.

Last edited:
Contributor
Then how did she enter the manor? I can't believe she followed the "normal procedure" of being a school children in the village in this case, because if she's part of the troupe, it means she must have been missing from school for LONG periods of time since the troupe we're talking about is a "travelling circus" that normally visits different towns. That by itself would rule out her behavior being "good" in the eyes of the school, and I doubt she would enter selection that way if she's originally from the school.
In Chapter 46, pages 9-12 where, IIRC she was first shown (being given the coffee with "Oskar" and "Mattie") it was made to look like she was from the village, gathered together with other village kids at the schoolhouse. Stella was happily chatting with Matilda before taking the coffee. A daughter of one of the men there got selected, so out of the 3 kids abducted it was either Stella or Matilda. Looking back, there's no further evidence she was their schoolmate or even from the village at all aside from her being there. It's interesting how that one scene made me assume things and connect dots that weren't actually there.

Did she just infiltrate that group similar to how Emilyko joined the others when it was their turn? This is starting to look more like your scenario #2: she was originally part of the circus troupe and somehow joined these kids on the day of selection but was not their schoolmate. That leaves a big gap of unknown activity between her leaving the circus and her suddenly joining the kids to be the next batch of abductees after Emilyko and friends.

Since she disappeared from the circus before "odd jobs" Emilyko got abducted, I'm not sure she even knew about her being taken into the Shadows House unless she was somehow watching from a distance. In that case, her motive for entering the mansion is also completely unknown to me - it's unlikely she's there for Emilyko. We'll need to wait for more details to be revealed.

In Chapter 46, pages 9-12 where, IIRC she was first shown (being given the coffee with "Oskar" and "Mattie") it was made to look like she was from the village, gathered together with other village kids at the schoolhouse. Stella was happily chatting with Matilda before taking the coffee. A daughter of one of the men there got selected, so out of the 3 kids abducted it was either Stella or Matilda. Looking back, there's no further evidence she was their schoolmate or even from the village at all aside from her being there. It's interesting how that one scene made me assume things and connect dots that weren't actually there.

Did she just infiltrate that group similar to how Emilyko joined the others when it was their turn? This is starting to look more like your scenario #2: she was originally part of the circus troupe and somehow joined these kids on the day of selection but was not their schoolmate. That leaves a big gap of unknown activity between her leaving the circus and her suddenly joining the kids to be the next batch of abductees after Emilyko and friends.

Since she disappeared from the circus before "odd jobs" Emilyko got abducted, I'm not sure she even knew about her being taken into the Shadows House unless she was somehow watching from a distance. In that case, her motive for entering the mansion is also completely unknown to me - it's unlikely she's there for Emilyko. We'll need to wait for more details to be revealed.
that's a good catch! I didn't even go back to re-read to try and spot when she's appeared in the past, but yeah I forgot about the whole selection panel that shows her.

Also yeah good point about her disappearing first before Emilyko even had anything to do with the manor. I guess she's there for someone else or for another reason!

Users who are viewing this thread