Shadows House - Digital Colored Comics - Vol. 6 Ch. 71 - The Invitation and The Welcome

Dex-chan lover
Is that Rosymary, her sister?
That's fucked...

Oh, seems like I mistook the sisters and this girl.

"The negative evaluation a manager receives is insignificant" - is this a typo? Or is it the case that the adults really don't care if more adults are made or not?

@thegiantpossum It is as such. I believe it's not that adults don't care about more adults being made, since it is implied Thomas got demoted due to too many failures. I think it's more along the line of they don't care that much about failures as long as adults are still made.

@HxHexa thanks, that makes sense. That works well with the info we got at the debutante as well, where Edward was praised for geting more children who passed, but told to be more strict on them as well. I didn't word that well, but with what you said it seems they care more about the volume of adults rather than getting every child to pass.

@thegiantpossum well they have plenty supplies of children from the village so no worry, but surviving the adult phase is much harder I guess so that's why too many failure in Adult's can easily get demoted?

To be honest I don't understand how Edward was so convinced that Kate is a dissident when all she did was keep quiet of her soot power. But I guess he did eavesdroped her after the debut.

Dex-chan lover
@HxHexa
@thegiantpossum
Without having read further, I think what they're actually saying here is that it's insignificant because they have this whole other plan. Normally having an adult fail is a major issue, because by that point lots of time and resources have been sunk into them. That's presumably why the "debuts" are meant to be harsh and "weed out the weak", with serious brainwashing and training after that and extreme pickiness with Invitations.

But Edward and co plan to gain cred and climb the ladder via a different method, the age-old "create and destroy an internal enemy" plan. And being brand new they probably can't get all the blame for failures yet. So a few are acceptable losses as long as it further's their plans.

Double-page supporter
Man, did that girl become a corpse? Is that why she smell horrible? Or it's because they haven't washed for a week.

Edward's assumption is a bit off. But, the way he thinking far ahead at the moment he knew Kate hide her soot power is really something.

He felt something odd about het when he was tester in her debut earlier. But, he couldn't form it in proper suspect until he eardropped her.

Also, curious as how Maryrose found out about the unification since not even Kate knew about it.

Judging from the conversation on page 11, it appears that Edward's trio personally met Maryrose as children. By extension, they have also met Barbara and Barbie, who are in the same debut class as her. I would be very interested in hearing B and B's opinion on Edward, since they knew him as both child and adult.

I have to wonder if the adult shadows retain the memories of both the faces and the shadow children. If so, I would have to say that the line shadow is killing the human is a lie. I would say it is the case that something different to either entity is emerging from that cocoon.

@Esasaeriri one of the adults was shown with an "unformed" shadow (let's call it a baby.) When robe-sama revealed herself, she was talking to Kate about how they (herself and Kate) retained their memories from before they took shape (became children.) it may be that Maryrose was a pet, and happened to accompany an adult and witness it firsthand? or she remembers the process of becoming a child, where there's a minor element of metamorphosis, and connected the dots after realizing adults were a singular entity? like seeing a "face" use soot powers?

@DerpyDragon that sounds plausible. It's also shown before the adult shadows bringing in village kids into a room full of morphs in order to let the morphs mimic them. Maryrose as a morph might have seen the adult changing their face at that time and happened to retain that memory.

Double-page supporter
@Swodaems I think killing a human in unification process is true, I mean no human can survive 1-2 weeks without food and water, neither do the shadow since they also have the same need. So the shadow forced to merged as a last resort to survive

and it's probably the shadow's memory of them meeting Maryrose as a children

Rereading Ch 36 (and few others after it), after reading this one raises many questions within me. When the members of Edward's trio address each other, they don't only use the names of the shadows, but also use names which I assume to have originally belonged to their faces. Also, when Edward orders the piano brought into the garden, Ellie describes the action as "a very Ed thing to do". While this is a just translation of the original line, It can be read as Ellie saying this action reminds her more of Ed, (presumably the name of Edward's face), as opposed to Edward. Maybe we'll get a reveal later that only Ed could play the piano, while Edward was tone-deaf as a child.

@Esasaeriri he wasn't particularly convinced of anything specific until he eavesdropped; Edward was/is angry at Kate for screwing up his plan for the Debut, since it was because of her that Shirely had a moment of contact with Ram. Edward tried to fail Kate for ruining his original plan, but she ended up passing the Debut anyways, which made him even angrier at her. His real reason for eavesdropping on Kate was that he wanted whatever pretext he could for undermining her; Kate actually being a dissident is more like an added bonus for Edward.

@sumfahg No, Edward was already convinced Kate is a dissident on the last page of Vol 4 chap 45 while he eavesdropped her on Vol 4 chap 47. He didn't blame Kate for Shirley and Ram making contact either, he blamed Patrick and Ricky for that, because they initiated the dance, hence why Edward dropped them a level. Only reason for him to be sus of Kate was because Kate hid her soot power while her report came back extremely normal as if she's being very cautious.

@sumfahg @Esasaeriri I just re-read this one so my memory is still fresh. I am not conviced that Edward eavesdropped Kate on the prior chapters. I think that's just a panel shifting quicky from Kate's room scene into Edward's place.

If you look closely Edward had just finished talking to someone while smiling. I suspect at the scene he just instructed Barbara to put more attention on Kate as a new manager, because the next chapters there is a starbearers meeting talking about put a guard on Kate.

He is insisted Kate is a dissident purely on speculation (like why hiding a power but her report is so normal) + mostly his grudges for choosing a wrong sacrifice. If he had known Kate's talent would blossom like John, even freeing herself from her cage at the debut then he could planned a counter-measure quickly.. that way his entry on the 3rd floor would have gone smoothly and he wouldnt think about Kate anymore. (But then again if Kate had shown her power at the debut, he could just switched the sacrifice on Patrick + Shirley)

@IjoDaun That's what I thought too but you can clearly see something was spying on Kate and Emilyko and whatever that was, slithered away out of the room, and most likely to Edward, as he had this "knowing" look on his face as he smiled

Users who are viewing this thread