Shadows House (Official Colored) - Vol. 17 Ch. 184 - The Two Intruders

Supporter
Jesus fucking christ, she's THIRTY

Now there's a twist no one fucking saw coming.

But also.... All the big pants shadow apparently not giving a shit? Now that was suspicious/alarming....
They're all either underestimating what the children would be capable of, or they are already well prepared for this sort of thing. Scariest possibility I can imagine is that they don't care about doing an investigation because, if the children become troublesome enough, they are willing to just eliminate all of them and start over, not caring who the "troublemakers" are.

Dex-chan lover
Now that I think about it, is there any reason they put an age limit to be able to join the shadow house? Seeing how Candy easily break the mind control, maybe the younger they are, the easier to control?
Yeah most likely so their mindset can be properly molded to what's desired by the Shadow's House via indoctrination and coffee. Easier to do that to developing brains vs. brains that might already be more rigid. Adults would be able to see through the manipulations a lot more easily too as opposed to having naive trust in the system.

Dex-chan lover
This was a crazy reveal... it's unsettling to imagine what the upper managers are cooking up now considering how cutthroat we know the adult Shadows are. They might try to crush Candy with force and not typical manipulations which bodes ill for any of the kids that get involved.

Dex-chan lover
I've always been really curious about Joseph since he seems like the closest shadow to The Great Grandfather and is noted to be his advisor. But more importantly, to me, what sticks out is how he looks like he's the second oldest shadow after Grandfather. We've seen the others in their "human" form EXCEPT those two so far. Grandfather is expected to not be really seen until the last arc or so, but its been almost 200 chapters and Joseph is still a mystery compared to Sophie, Ryan, and Dorthy. Those 3 are pretty unhinged and sadistic in one way or another (Sophie did partially eat Thomas) but Joseph seems like the calmest on the outside. Maybe due to his age, maybe due to his personality. Either way, I'm pretty sure he sees through Edward's BS and doesn't seem to care for him from at all haha. RIP EDWARD.

I'm just gonna talk about SOME of my thoughts rn:
Edit: I was wrong about one detail about Anthony since I was misremembering things, thank you people in the comments for pointing it out! I will make the minor edit accordingly. I'm actually happy bc this forced me to do a rereading of the last ~100 chapters which I really needed.
  • Currently, we still don't know why the morphs flipped out in Kate's mom's timeline since they're usually docile, however her grandmother was certain someone (Grandfather in his youth?) set them loose on purpose in the mansion. I bring this up bc at this point, the current unification method wasn't streamlined the way it is now (seems like the morphs would jumpstart cacoon transformations by turning themselves into thread that surrounds victims but it produced poor unificiation results). I think it's definitely something they tried to refine the process of over a long time. Would the difference in the process further affect the power of the soot once unified? Are Grandfather (and Joseph?) on a completely different powerscale? Streamlining the process probably produces slightly more successful unification pairs in comparison to what we saw happen at the Mirror House incident, but IF it could affect a power cap by limiting something, it could assure Grandfather will ALWAYS be the most powerful. Or maybe it's the opposite, and he's actually the most unstable unification?
  • I think we still don't know how, or even if, shadows can die of old age. Grandfather should be closer to 100. It's hard to tell his age because of the gaudy outfit he wears (honestly it reminds me more of something a woman/Queen would wear....). Shadows like Joseph and Thomas are proof they do get to being middle aged or older, so I wonder how old Grandfather was when the Mirror House incident happened. A kid, teen, or adult? How long had he been scheming the downfall of Mirror House?
  • I would not put it past the Shadows House to groom some successful adult pairs (with repeated bad performances) into being fodder for Grandfather's vitality or something to slow down aging (if they're not immortal). The adults still needing to be super brainwashed would be useful for that (Currently, Barbara is who is single-handedly keeping the adult shadows from contributing a daily soot quota apparently).
  • Still wondering what Anthony's endgame is here and how he will fit into the plot in regards to how he plans to take over instead of freeing the humans and shadows. He's not an antagonist like the Shadow Nobles, but he's not going to be a true ally in this fight. He's def not interested in winning with numbers and steadily gaining a rebellion, otherwise he wouldn't have killed Margaret and Maggie, who the latter would have followed whatever he said. Where did Anthony even get "A Fragment of Favor," which enhances shadow abilities (at the cost of their life), when he's supposedly not a shadow? He was very cautious of the stuff which is how poor Margaret ended up his test subject.
  • He said Kate would beg to be his "pupil," like Lewis currently is, but if he IS human what makes him think he has any useful skills to TEACH Kate? Will this be the price paid to save Lou and Louise?
  • Also, would like to know what happened with Christopher since, as far as we know (it could still be a lie or something) Anthony claimed Christopher committed suicide but imo its up in the air if it was really murder. I can't wait to see their backstory and find out if behind the scenes Anthony was actually always cruel and made Christopher play up the generous kind star bearer act. Kinda how Stella and Candy have an opposite dynamic behind the scenes. Edward, Eilene, and Gerald, seem to still be very angry (and maybe feel betrayed?) about Christopher's outcome. IF Christopher is found to have been murdered, would they drop their ambition to target Anthony? I'm looking forward to seeing their faces look at Anthony's.
  • Maybe Anthony's so confident because he knows some kind of major secret? (Wherever, or whomever, he got the "fragments of favor" from). Or maybe one of the adults on the Third floor is already in his pocket and feeds him intel and supplies. I doubt it's JUST Lewis or Anthony wouldn't come off as confidently as he does. Maybe a small group of unbrainwashed faceless dolls helps him out. Either way, for someone who had to sneak around to survive in secret as a faceless doll for at least a few years(?), he looks GOOD. Like well fed, showers, gets his full 8 hours of sleep in, yknow. He didn't become malnourished. And he doesn't look TIRED. To me it's very suspicious.
  • In case Kate fails and there is a tragedy, would Louise sacrifice herself so Lou could live? Louis did have some interesting character development that made her more mindful of Lou and her feelings. She's had the little bits of development with Benjamin that were cute. I'm looking forward to seeing how this arc ends for Lou and Louise. The new manga cover with the focus on Lou's face with Louis in her pupils as she caresses Lou is so GOOD. It feels ominous. Last goodbyes? I'm so excited.

Last edited:
Supporter
They're all either underestimating what the children would be capable of, or they are already well prepared for this sort of thing. Scariest possibility I can imagine is that they don't care about doing an investigation because, if the children become troublesome enough, they are willing to just eliminate all of them and start over, not caring who the "troublemakers" are.
I think they also see a lot of potential and value in Kate. She clearly has the intelligence and cunning to rise up to the 3rd floor, but as she’s not yet an adult, power-wise, there’s nothing she can do to hurt them

Supporter
This was a crazy reveal... it's unsettling to imagine what the upper managers are cooking up now considering how cutthroat we know the adult Shadows are. They might try to crush Candy with force and not typical manipulations which bodes ill for any of the kids that get involved.
I think they’re just enioying the show and probably taking bets on how far her rebellion will go

Dex-chan lover
I think that the shadows don't care too much about the origin of the faces. Candy might be a concern to them with her age, but Emilyko isn't. They just use the selection process for convenience. Also anyone who observes Kate and Emilyko closely can tell that Emilyko isn't the brains by a long shot.

Double-page supporter
Now the question - do they not believe him or not care?
For the first option, since all these "proves" he presented are basically his words and suitcase he supposedly found himself... it is all way too easy to fabricate and he did lie in the past. So I don't think he can archieve more than slight suspicious toward Kate and even more toward himself.
For the second version, nobody said that they only want to take the children from the island. Heck, they actually mentioned that in the future they plan to reach to the outside world and create shadows from people there. So even if someone sneaked in, that seems more like oportunity to test it, rather than problem. Remember that all of them believe everyone is under the influence of coffee so they should not remember their past - plans previous to entering mansion should not be relevant.

Contributor
The plot continues to thicken and I like it very much. Exciting.

Of all manga I did not expect Shadows House to feature a "lolibaba"-type character in it. Granted, "Candy" is only 30 and technically not a true baba (granny) but given that she does not seem to age, she'll get there, eventually... if she doesn't get herself killed at some point. Man, now I really want to see Candy & friends join Kate's group. She's just that interesting.

The 3rd floor shadows have themselves to blame for these "intruders" entering the mansion since it was them who selected these two girls out of the many others being presented. But they don't seem to be very concerned. I had thought it would alarm them and start some measures to be taken immediately, but no. They were more concerned about Candy's real age over the fact that there are intruders infiltrating the kids. (Great Grandfather and Joseph aside, don't tell me the other three are just simple idiots...)

Edward is not wrong about Kate wanting to start a rebellion, but boy is he wrong about her being somehow influenced by Emilyko. It's funny how it seems like Joseph has a distaste for the ambitious Edward's arrogant and overconfident way of presenting himself. He couldn't have been more obvious about trying to ingratiate himself with his superiors. Joseph's seeming lack of interest in the "bomb" that Edward thinks he dropped could indicate they know something else he doesn't and they don't really feel threatened about the possibility of a "rebellion" by the children.

"GO BACK." :dogkek:

Users who are viewing this thread