She Doesn't Know Why She Lives.

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@criver
1) Parental/friend support is orthogonal to exercise - so no, one is not an alternative to the other.
My bad. I phrased that wrongly.

2)Obviously, but my point was never that you exercise so you would look nice after you are dead. The point is that exercise is beneficial in order to avoid a mental state leading to suicide, or even just dying from purely physiological causes having to do with your lack of physical activity.

3) There are very few people that actually "have no time for exercise". In most cases it's just wrong priorities. And the context in which I brought this up, concerns fictional characters having more than enough time for exercise. Even taking into account your comment about "black companies" - nobody can overwork you except yourself, the most a company can do is fire you.

4) The fact that there are people that get "enough" physical activity throughout their working day, but are depressed nevertheless, doesn't disagree with my point - they would be worse off without the exercise.

2) My point was that giving them a reason to live is a better option

3)Yes. There are probably only a few people that have "no time to exercise" my advice is mostly targeted to those people. Also companies firing you is a serious matter. For example, my shitty ex-job for one pays me $1000 a month. If I am some unlucky sap living alone that needs to pay rents and bills out of my own pocket, the total would be approximately $800, leaving $200 for food. The cheapest food option is $5-10 per meal. So let us say i get 'fired'. Do you think I would be able to find a new job before I starve to death?

4) Maybe they would be worse off but I doubt we should be expecting them to get MORE exercise on top of that.

I recommend very heavy exercise where you simply do not have the option of thinking about work. You simply don't have the option to think about trivial stuff while weightlifting at your body's limits, or as mentioned rock climbing.

Sure. I will try that the next time I am depressed (pre-requisite), not needing energy for other important things (in case I 'urgently' need to do something physically demanding), and not already dying of fatigue (because i'd be lying down on my bed unable to get up). Weightlifting at body "limits" that is. Whereever those limits might be since I did try some lighter weights before (so says my father. Light will do, won't tear your muscles). At least that seems somewhat accessible.

Yea, i should have probably gone for heavier weights. Could suffer more that way (which fits with my then suicidal intentions)

Dex-chan lover
@Nep

2) First, I do not believe you can "give" somebody a reason to live - you can't make somebody's life meaningful if they decide there's no meaning in life. At most you can try to help, and I do not discount that. But ultimately it's up to that person to find meaning in their life. Note that this also assumes there's a person out there for everybody that that can and would do this, which is unrealistic. Also as mentioned - those are orthogonal notions. One doesn't substitute for the other.

3) I am glad that we agree that people on average have more than enough time for physical activities.

4) I never implied that they should. My point was that physical activities help alleviate or even "cure" depression, if you already get enough, you obviously should try the next best thing for you. And my comment was specifically in the context of the fictional character here that coops herself inside and feels tired due to that most of the time. As paradoxical as it may sound, not having much physical activity is actually tiring - people that train (note - not overtrain) have a lot more energy and are "less depressed" on average. Then again if I had to choose I would overtrain any day of the week rather than go a week without training.

Also don't postpone exercise for the next time you get depressed (it's likely you simply won't bring yourself to do it if you're in a deep depression) - do it before you get depressed, so hopefully you will not get depressed in the first place. It doesn't matter if a weight is heavy/light, it matters whether it feels just heavy enough and you can perform the exercise with correct form. If after you finish your sets you can do another set without trouble, that's when you know it was too light. Also it gives a nice sense of progression and accomplishment. It doesn't need to be weightlifting either, but it has to be something that's demanding enough to take your mind off mundane problems.

Nep

Dex-chan lover
First, I do not believe you can "give" somebody a reason to live - you can't make somebody's life meaningful if they decide there's no meaning in life. At most you can try to help, and I do not discount that. But ultimately it's up to that person to find meaning in their life.

Yeah... Well thats what I call 'giving' since its impossible to help those that refuse to help themselves. Not like you could cure someone else's depression by exercising or counsel people who aren't listening either. It doesnt even have to be the 'deciding factor' of depression curing. Anything that even makes them think 'If I want to die, lets not do it today but some other time' means that much more time to actually cure their depression. Thats already a win to me.

It doesn't need to be weightlifting either, but it has to be something that's demanding enough to take your mind off mundane problems.

An impossible task. My accursed brain wouldn't stop thinking of mundane problems. 😅 I even tried meditation once. You know, those things about emptying your mind and think nothing? I think i was a lost cause for that one hahahaha.

Fed-Kun's army
Jesus, this is just "I'm in this picture and I don't like it": The Manga.

I'll praise it for being realistic in some ways, but BOY does it hurt to read some of the time.

Dex-chan lover
wait that was the end?

what a fucking ride man, volume 1 almost made me cry but vol 2 just made me really happy god damn

thank you exor for translating this

Fed-Kun's army
this manga makes me feel about sumi the way i think my parents probably felt about me. i pity her, i'm frustrated with her, i worry for her; sometimes, when she does something good for herself, i'm impressed at how tough she is. it's an imperfect, uneven manga, but it definitely captures something real.

good luck, sumi! do your best.

edit: thank you very much to the translators!

never before have i found something so relatable. there are so many times in this where the text echoes my own thoughts. i believe i started reading manga with the intention to find a way to understand my own situation, to find a way out of it, to know if my situation was relatable or if it even had a decent reason behind it, and after reading this it feels like i've finally found everything i'd set out to find. an absolutely outstanding work

Dex-chan lover
Oof, this manga really hits me. I was mentally and physically hurt because it's so true
hashtagrelatableoof
, some made me almost cried. Sometimes My stomach would feel weird and I had to stop reading for a few minutes
It's a good manga, but i wouldn't recommend it to my friends. I don't them to think "So you want us to comfort you?" or something similar like that. But I would love to find someone who find this manga by chance/coincidence so we could talk about it.
9.5/10
I also want to see how other characters' perspective/what they think of what they think about each other or about themselves
bonus points if her family appeared. Oof, that would be harsh (and hopefully heartwarming/wholesome)

Dex-chan lover
Great read, the feeling is unparalleled when you look back and wonder what the hell you were even worried/anxious about.

Dex-chan lover
I connected with this one on a deep level, felt pretty much the same way she does at the start when I was 17 all the way until I was 23

Users who are viewing this thread