She Likes Homos, Not Me - Vol. 3 Ch. 13

lfb

Fed-Kun's army
This was a nice last chapter. Thanks so much for translating! I'm amazed that the releases were so timely too!

Good riddance to that Makoto guy. What a complete creep. I couldn't even sympathize with Andou being in love with him. Seemed to blow off his concerns every time they came up, so he could have fun with his own child's replacement. Wound up giving the story an average rating due to how many questionable and frustrating elements it contained. Hoping Andou fares better in the next place and exerts better judgment with the people he meets.

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if Sae and Jun are having long distance relationship. Also I'm glad that it ended this way, it gave the feeling of relieve and justice in some ways (well, not for the chunni Mr. Farenheit). I'll be glad to see the afterstory of Jun and Sae back together in a Slice of Life story.

I started reading the sequel (thanks so much for translating it!) and bless Mr. Kobarin 🙏🙏

Also
boyfriend?? whomst??

I'm having trouble putting into words what i think about this ending. I'm happy that Jun is starting a new chapter in his life without hiding. Miura and him are still in contact and on good terms. Although i find it a shame they had to break up but it was the natural conclusion. I might've missed what happened to Juns wish of having a family and kids but I'll probably catch it on the reread. Excited to see what is left to tell in the sequel! Thank you for the translations

Thanks to everybody who worked on this for introducing it to the community.

Sooo...prequel manga featuring Mr. Fahrenheit when?? LOL That scene of him sleeping under the stars is just begging to be illustrated.
Mr. Fahrenheit was by far the most interesting character in this manga for me, dude maxed out his charisma. Jun can call him a chuuni all he wants it was still Jun paraphrasing his lines that Sae fell for.

Does this story make anyone else feel gross? (I'm a lesbian btw) I kept reading it because I expected jun to eventually realize that his "relationship" with miura wasn't good to frame as romantic, expecially considering the story talks about how it's unhealthy for gay men to fixate on becoming normal. I also disliked how it didn't clearly show that there is something wrong with Mr. Farenheight's relationship (what the FUCK, a 15 year old with AIDS????) And while it did eventually show that Makoto was disgusting, it never addressed that jun seeking relationships with older men wasn't healthy. Reading this was exhausting and I might edit it later but jfc .

Wow this was really obscenely badly paced
There's a lot left unresolved in a way that doesn't seem like it's supposed to be open ended, just "we didn't have the money to draw the page about this part"
Everything that happened because he was outed won't just not happen in a new school, so is the point that it's sequel bait for more misery?
It feels quite insulting that it brings up something as interesting and controversial as the age gaps in gay relations then just sort of dribbles out a conclusion that says very little, to say nothing of the classic "just cut all ties and move to a place where everyone isn't homophobic lmao"

Really though, the entire first volume has about as much happening in it as a single chapter of the second or third, who thought it would flow well?

@chillmr I agree, the only gay relationships depicted in the manga were mired in incestuous pedophilic grossness. Jun's fixation on old men is really weird and unhealthy and even though it was implied that he's like that because of daddy issues the manga never actually acknowledges that it's an issue. The age gap between Jun and Makoto was never portrayed as a problem, the only real issue was the strain and distance Makoto's double life was creating in their relationship. Super frustrating to read.

Aggregator gang
I had to stop myself from commenting on this work until I read the end. I feel like nothing I could say would be justified until I read the entirety of this manga in full and I just have so many mixed emotions. about a lot of things because this is such a messily made manga (or adaptation really).

First of all, I don't like Miura. yes, she's cute, she's fun, and quirky. but she's also??? I don't even know like I read the ending and I was just like bro this manga is okay at best but a lot of what was surrounding her was done cartoonish-ly. like elements in this manga that I really disliked were centered around her because she is just a selfish person. first of all she outs Jun to the entire school, and not only out him, but like tells everyone in the school the specifics of their relationship and what he has done to her (ie kissing makoto during their date and etc). and not even that when they’re arguing instead of saying stuff like “you cheated on me” she goes to say “are all you homos like this? Having affairs and deceiving women who can’t help but fall in love with you because it’s how we’re biologically hardwired to feel” like UGH I UNDERSTAND WHY SHE SAYS IT BUT ALSO WHY DOES SHE HAVE TO PHRASE IT LIKE THAT because it perpetuates this kind of homophobic rhetoric that gay and queer people are predators to straight people! and just ugh

and then tries to continue to pursue some type of romantic relationship with him EVEN though she fully understands he's gay and EVEN though she knows how he feels she keeps on putting him in these strange situations like when they see mr. fahreniet's mom she still introduces jun as his girlfriend like why not say you're just his friend here for moral support

and what REALLy irked me was her recommending such unrealistic BL to jun like i can only imagine that by doing she was trying to say "look liking guys can be natural" and because you know jun is her friend and she wants to share her hobbies with him!!!! but her recommending a series called BL planet where the only reason why men are attracted to each other is because there is a decline of women in the world population and also people can begin consenting at age ten LIKE BRO it just goes to show exactly how much she fetishizes gay men and doesn’t see being gay as more than a biological thing?

Like there’s good yaoi and then there’s like bad extremely dehumanizing yaoi (the kind where authors forget that gay men are humans too) and it’s so bizarre to me that Miura, even after experiencing her gay friend attempt to commit suicide, even after seeing that a middle schooler successfully committed suicide because of a situation that stemmed from his homosexuality and relationships, even after seeing how people in her community treated the gay people around her so violently, still chooses to dehumanize and fetishize gay men in the same way she did before. That’s probably my biggest grief with her character.

Because my biggest problem with her character is that she doesn't really...develop. She's not trying to learn anything from this, she's still writing extremely fetishizing yaoi (openly about the people about her, and about people she knows are homophobic). She's not trying to learn more about what it's like to be gay, she's not really trying to understand Miura's struggles as a queer person she doesn't even become a more aware and sensitive person! It’s like! What was I waiting for? It’s been acknowledged Ono will never understand what it’s like being a “homo” but Miura still doesn’t either???? As far as she’s concerned being gay in real life isn’t a big deal.

I feel like I could nitpick with her character and arc. From that little novel excerpt though it can definitely say that her characterization probably suffered the most from this adaptation. I think the way the artist portrayed her in the manga made her character lose the most nuance. Forget Ono and his “questionably homophobic ass” you don’t need nuance to understand he was a homophobic jerk, but with Miura, all her lost nuance really damaged her presentation as a character here. As I said before, I had to hold off writing any comments about the series because I really wanted to know what the author/artist was doing with Miura and I wanted to see the complete picture before I wrote anything.

That being said, Jun grew a lot as a character. I’m very satisfied with the ending he got. I think his recognition of his relationship with Makoto was…satisfactory. At least he got out of the relationship, even if his fixation on dating older men…was never brought up but given how the rest of this was written I DIDN’T EXPECT MUCH IN THE FIRST PLACE. I also don’t think he has to announce her sexuality with the class the way he did, but knowing that he decides to not live in the closet is very comforting? Like we know that even if he has flaws, and even if he does struggle with his sexuality, he is able to live with it comfortably.

This series is not a perfect one. There’s a lot of messed up shit in here (subject wise), and it’s not the greatest thing, but I can see where the author was trying to go with it. Do I like this story? Not really. I think a lot of what happened was extremely dramatized (like what the hell was this series from chapter 7 to 10/11ish like that was just awful not in an emotionally painful way but in a really edgy cringe way that was so unrealistic and so dramatically different in tone from the rest of the series). I do think that a lot was lost here from the adaptation, but I’m not such a big fan of the story that I’d want to watch the drama or read the novel. I appreciate what the author tried to do, but it totally could have been done in a better way.

Don't get me wrong, there are hundreds of things wrong with this series. Just as everyone below has typed out that I could spend hours just talking about how this series fails so miserably in focusing on the important themes and morals it's portraying (like all the emphasis on Mr. Fahrenheit committing suicide as a CHUNIBYOU OF ALL THINGS and not about the fact that he was in an incestous, pedophilloic relationship that gave him AIDS/HIV) but then that would just mean that this story wouldn't be the one that the author wanted to tell. And that we'd have a different story entirely. And probably that story wouldn't even be story in a manga/ live action format, because no one wants to focus on the dark realities of that some of us queer folks have to face, because they'd rather focus on the straight fujioshi girl instead.

Dex-chan lover
Pretty good, it might gotten too soap opera dramatic in the last 2 volumes that made me laugh, but its alright, since its ending anyway and not dragging for years.Not sure if he ended up telling he is a homo in the new school but I guess that would be easier for all.

i'm really trying to put my thoughts together while i type this so, for the first thing to get off my chest:
thank you to the translators, fantastic work.

while this story had its pros, there were so many cons. i feel as if the author tried incredibly hard to portray a boy coming to terms being gay, but did so in such a terrible way. at many points in this, i just sat here and cringed. reading this from my perspective, as a guy into other dudes, i was just so entirely turned off by so much.

miura's character in general rubbed me wrong; she was a straight girl who fetishized gay men in every aspect, and it was gross. from the very beginning her character was awful. i never saw any growth from her outside of her 'interest' in 'homos', and after the chapter where she outs jun, i was like. "this is it."
i can acknowledge a character having flaws and growing, but from her flat-out oversharing and outing jun like she did was completely over the top and disgusting.

i adored jun's character and i appreciate the fact that he grew from how he was in the beginning and felt comfortable with himself towards the end. i can relate to his character a lot, and i can give the author points back for that. he struggles as a gay teen and the things he goes through can happen. he is deeply flawed, he is not black and white. some of the decisions he makes are terrible, but he definetly grows from those mistakes to better himself and become more in tuned with the people around him.

i can't even really bring myself to comment on makoto's character.....he was a literal p*dophile and i don't like how that's not shown to be an explicitly bad thing. from being with jun knowing he's either 16 or 17, to even admitting to jun later on that he felt an attraction towards his son. it really grosses me out seeing how it was simply glossed over in the name of love or whatever. through and through, he was an awful person and took advantage of a young gay teen.

mr. fahrenheit, i feel so bad for him. another issue i have with this writing...he was engaged in a incestuous relationship as a minor and then caught a disease. i feel so fucking bad for him and i hate how his cousin he deemed his "s/o" was basically redeemed and shown to be a good figure ?DFkijfieofk like it grosses me out so much. he was also a p*dophile and incest freak. i don't understand why these older men in here are basically seen as good people with minor flaws and not dealt with correctly. so sososos gross.

this story was a lot. it had a lot of potential in the beginning, but continued to falter so much. it's so depressing to read how it unraveled the way it did. the idea of being lgbt in this story felt like a joke at times and some fujoshit fueled mess and i just simply can't get behind that. i find it so hard to really hit down on everything i found questionable and downright terrifying, and even the positives become hard to talk about.

Thanks alooottt scanlator-san! I love your choice of works, it's always different and more importantly attracts the attention to an important topic.

Also, ngl but the comment section has more opinions and stories than the story itself. Thanks to you guys too for the time you invested in quoting out such detailed comments 🌸

Dex-chan lover
Uh wait last page, “Shoujo Ai”? I thought it’s Shounen Ai?

Edit: thanks for translating and scanslating this!

thank you very much for picking this title and translating it
good quality in translation and the notes for detailed explanations and the quick update
thank youu

So many thoughts.

"God is a fujoshi" is my favorite line ever.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Makoto's desire for his son. When I read that in the first volume, I thought "Are they not going to expand on that?!!"

I still find the auditorium scene in Chapter 10 fantastical and I don't understand it. Miura's painting did give context to why she might speak a bit about her story but... Why would you reveal so much about someone in such a public way? Why did they need to kiss? Why did Ono yell "Be a man!"? Like what did he mean by that? To run to her? But why? What did everyone else in the auditorium want? Can someone please explain to me their interpretation of events? Well, maybe I will just have to hold this scene as a incongruent when I evaluate the manga in my head.

'Homosexual' does have a negative connotation in English as apposed to 'gay.' I had wondered if the word 'homo' was translated with this in mind. I don't know Japanese but if it's not too much trouble, can anyone tell me what the original Japanese words were? I just want to google it. Man, I wish I learned Japanese when I was younger.

I heard of so many Queen's songs because they are used so much in pop culture. But I never listened to a song in full. I always thought of Queen as 'older generation music.' How did I never realize how good they were?! I have gained a newfound appreciation of them. I listen to "Don't Stop Me Now" and dance alone in my room on those days when I really need something uplifting.

Hm, I don't know if I really need a sequel to this story, it's positive open-endness matches with "Don't Stop Me Now" perfectly.
I am kinda curious about the author though. I don't know if the author has any public information out there but I'd love to know if anyone has found anything. Do I sound like a stalker?
Thank you translator and your team! 😘

Group Leader
Thanks to the translators! Great job, great work.

It was an emotional ride, and while I do think that this work could have definitely continued with some of the loose end topics, it's also fine to end it here. I'm glad Jun seems to be in a healthier place by the end with a lot more self acceptance and a bit more confidence in himself.

I hope the sequel has more from Miura's perspective because I feel like her character arc is entirely incomplete and falls a little flat. Miura is the classic example of a person who only gets to know and empathize with lgbtqa people through a medium like BL, quite possible because she doesn't know any in her life at all (except for Jun). This is the only thing she has to have even an inkling of an idea of what Jun might be going through, and while it's horribly incorrect, it's a start. The biggest growth I saw from Miura was from her thinking that there was no way any gay person existed around her into acknowledging that BL is a fantasy and can only exist in a fantastic world far removed from reality (the "BL star"). It has absolutely nothing to do with gay people in RL. She still has a long way to go, but it's good to see that she has begun her journey into being a better alley. There's a lot she has to learn (and unlearn).

I do wish that this manga had more to say on the vulnerability of lgbtqa youth and how the lack of support from those around them can drive them to seek out dangerous adults who can accommodate them. We see this in Jun and Mr. Fahrenheit, who both sadly fell in love with adults who were supposed to be more responsible. I've seen this pattern in some memoirs of lgbtqa people as well, it's incredibly sad and disheartening.

I understand everyone's frustrations with chapter 11, and tbh I think it was supposed to read as frustrating. Who knows if anyone even believed Miura's story...the whole point was to put on a show for the school to overwrite the memory of Jun's suicide attempt. A fantastical story complete with redemption, a happy ending and a kiss to satisfy the audience....it was just missing the ending credits and canned laughter in the background. It's frustrating to think that people would rather be comfortable in their ignorance than have to face the discomfort of examining their hurtful actions. Ultimately, I think this is why Jun leaves.

I definitely want to check out this sequel since I'd like to see if the author has more to say on some of these barely touched topics, and I want to see if Jun continues to improve (PLEASE don't start a relationship with a teacher.....😭). Thanks once again!

@chanana
"because no one wants to focus on the dark realities of that some of us queer folks have to face, because they'd rather focus on the straight fujioshi girl instead"
How can you say this after having criticized the straight fujioshi only and ignoring all the shit Jun did and just complimenting his arc. That is just as bad. He made awful decisions and also hurt other people. They all had their reasons but that does not negate the effect and consequences.

thank you for translating!
this story had some good things but also many bad things.
I am a bit confused on whether Jun is in love with Miura. If he is, he could absolutely still kiss her, and the kiss they had after the (badly executed) stage scene would have been acceptable. The only issue is that he can't get it up, right? There's also the entire thing where Jun can't really tell if she's attractive or not. So my understanding is that Jun is 100% gay and only likes her platonically.
If so, this story is an okay way of showing the struggles of self-acceptance and struggles of being gay.
I'm sure we all understand that the strange acceptance of pedophilia here is not okay; and how the issue is basically lampshaded rather than actually talked about. I wish the story clearly established it as wrong rather then basically let the reader decide. Pedophilia is not love.
The characters have little to no development; but given that the story is trying to show struggles of being gay more than self development it could be okay.

Users who are viewing this thread