Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie - Vol. 2 Ch. 23

Dex-chan lover
@Drwhocares

I commend you for your staunch opposition and understand that "ara" is nonsensical in english. However Imma try to convert.

The closest translation to English for the nonsensical word is "Oh my!". And there obviously is no translation for honorifics in english. Also the closest translation for "onii-chan" is "brother".

Now "ara" is usually repeated (ararara) to stress amusement, michevious or surprise similar to how "Oh my" would have its syllable stretched however this is rare as Western culture rarely has michevious older ladies in its writings/irl and even rarer use "Oh my" for it(they only use it for amusement or suprise, instead replacing it with a sly smile). Personally only heard 60+ elderly use this in movies.

Now repeated syllables can project different effects to stretched syllables.
Take "Lol" And Muwahahaha"

You can't have lol intensifies but you can have mwahaha instensifies. "Looooool" in its own right sound fun to yell out but "Lolololol" is more silly and fun to say as well you can breathe whilst saying it, making it possible to say for a very long time,(think demonlord laughing fade outs, they dont stretch out mwuhaha but go mwuhahahahaha), "arararararara" can also be done in this way for grand entrance into an amusing scenario. Note: this is not possible with "oh my"

The point I'm making is that due to their cultral difference, it is not a perfect translation. It is not possible to fully replicate connotations with the English language. Similar to how some translators have alter jokes or puns(kudos to them when I see the tl notes about these jokes. Gekkan Shoujo etc had rewrote a joke so that the word looked like "love u" and "idiot" at the same time).

Honorifics as you know are great to communicate different levels of respect and self esteem the charcters has. Especially when you have "ara" type characters smiling with blood Lust at their husbands (the change from sama to just san is scary).

Weebified words like "Moe, ara, doki." Either deal with specifics
Sad vs melancholy or are language concepts that are foreign to English. (quotation marks weren't used in either Hebrew or ancient greek, don't remember which).

But the most important part of all is that "Ararara"sounds cuter than any English equivalent. The word "brother" is extremely difficult to say cutely, Mister is easier but thats usually only used for gold-digging thus less cute. Onii-chan may still be used for those truely innocent and sound cute at the same time.

Tl;Dr "Ara" is better than "Oh my".

Maybe it's due to the point @primrosea said of me not being a native english speaker, but honestly getting so worked up over a simple word seems redundant. I am pretty sure it is not a common word used in the japanese language and in the context of anime/manga it is used as a character trait for a certain achetype. When you hear a character say "ara" you pretty much know right away what kind of personality you can expect from them while hearing them say "oh my" doesn't really give you much as it can be used by anyone.

Nevertheless, regardless of anything, you guys are taking this way too seriously.

Fed-Kun's army
Everyone is talking about fucking ara ara's and ignoring the actual plot and that MC is probably gonna get laid soon if she's this aggressive so soon. I mean unprotected handholding the second time shes at his house, the first time alone with him?

Group Leader
cat wants in on the action lul

I like the development, but it feels too fast x-x they've been in a relationship for like, a year now?

Why is daily life so bad compared to this T^T Btw I think that I might have developed diabetes, too sweet

Aggregator gang
The cat has a face that screams "Help me!" as he gets crushed between these two lovebirds. Gave me a good chuckle.

Also, Izumi is getting bolder by the day.

Dex-chan lover
Wow page 8, I see it's her pushing him down instead of the other way around. Lol

Contributor
I belatedly find myself wondering whether she doesn't have more testosterone than the average bloke.

Contributor
Tom%2BPritchard.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread