Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie - Vol. 2 Ch. 23

it may not look like it but his mom just saved that poor kitten's life from being crushed

Group Leader
@primrosea
Because it's nonsense. Absolutely nothing of value is gained. It's complete and utter nonsense. No nuances are saved and nothing about it is untranslatable. There is always, always, an acceptable, if not perfect translation for it.
Appealing to weebs by leaving it untranslated is just, by far, the greatest sin a translator can commit.

@MarqFJA87
There is no idiosyncrasy of "Ara". It can always be translated. Plenty of other things cannot be. Like most honorifics, or certain other phrases. Most phrases that are more complex, and lack a perfect translation, (unlike "Ara") can be translated successfully in a way that is natural and makes sense to any English speaker without making the character seem like some sorta alien.

@stef Don't leave "ara" untranslated, ever.

Dex-chan lover
How can people hate "ara"? Leave it be, it's great to see some ara ara here and there.

@DrWhoCares
Dude, chill the fuck out... why are you nitpicking for shit when stef is just a fan translator. Sure, in terms of professionalism, leaving translatable stuff untranslated is a great sin. However, none cared a fuck leaving weeb slangs untranslated, only you.

stef is just sharing stuff for free, s/he's not paid nor working as a translator here professionally. Go bother the MTLers with your "professionalism" rant

@stef , mate, just do whatever you want, don't let an attention seeker dent your passion.

Group Leader
@Shiikun
There's plenty to criticize about stef's releases. However, it clearly falls on deaf ears. Regardless, one thing I cannot stand, is untranslated "ara".
There's no viable argument for "stef is just a fan translator." That does not exempt them from being critiqued. Just because you don't agree with the criticism, doesn't mean you should act like that.

@DrWhoCares
Okay, my bad for the asshat-ish attitude earlier.

Still, I stand to my point of view. stef isn't providing stuff to be paid nor s/he was paid to do said stuff. Hence, s/he's not here as a professional. So, s/he freely create what kind of quality s/he releases, it's just free stuff. If one doesn't like the quality, he or she can just leave, nothing of value or money was lost, only a bit of time, I guess. Of course one can still offer advise tho

However, if I or someone paid stef to do this stuff or bought this stuff from stef, and if the quality that I or that someone paid for doesn't meet the expectations, that changes the game. I have the right to criticize stef for that, I paid for him/her to do it professionally.

Sorry for this lengthy explanation, and hope this clarifies everything.

ah goddamnit. cockblocked by your mom. now where have I seen this before? -__-

Group Leader
@Shiikun
Just because there's no contract/payment/etc. doesn't exempt it from criticism. Someone could cut my hair for me for free, but if they do a fucking abysmal job, I can still tell them how fucking awful they are.
A lot of people seem to have this prevailing thought that because you got something for free, the provider is 100% exempt from any criticism. Often followed with the argument of "well, if you don't like it, you do it better!" which is just deflecting and not an argument at all.

You yourself even said, "Go bother the MTLers with your 'professionalism' rant". Are the MTLers not also exempt from criticism under your same argument? Because their quality is worse, and you criticize them for it, they are suddenly the exception to your argument? That's hypocritical, and causes your argument to collapse.

Not to mention, all scanlation is illegal in the first place, if you're going to steal someone else's work, you had at least do a good job at it. As I said, there's plenty to criticize about stef's releases. Unless you're fluent in Japanese, it's hard to even say that stef doesn't MTL. You'd never know.

You should reevaluate your argument, or change your opinion on the matter.

Dex-chan lover
@DrWhoCares: The fact that you're using "weeb" as a genuine insult speaks a lot about you.

There's plenty to criticize about stef's releases. However, it clearly falls on deaf ears.
Maybe because you're making a mountain out of a molehill, and assuming that your subjective opinion automatically equals to objective fact.

Group Leader
@MarqFJA87 @Dracoville
I never said that my subjective opinion is objective fact.
It's my criticism, and stef is free to listen, or ignore it. I could scream at clouds all day, but it won't make them go away, should I want the sun to stay.
You're free to disagree with my criticism, but to attack my criticism as worthless, simply because you don't agree with it, isn't how you should handle any sort of disagreement.

EDIT:
Ah, and @Dracoville I forgot to mention, not everyone here "enjoy TL's work." I don't. I enjoy the story, and I tolerate the scanlation.

@DrWhoCares
I give up, you won the argument mate, too tired for this shit.

First things first, I really applaud that glib tongue of yours, honestly. That smooth transition from one thing to another is worthy to kowtow to.

Second, I never implied nor said MTLers aren't exempted from critiques, if I don't like quality they provided for free, I'll just leave or offer bits of advice if they're really passionate 'bout they're doing. As I said, nothing of value or money was lost. However, If I paid for the stuff and didn't get the quality I expected, then that's a different game already. I have the right to criticize the guy, I paid for him/her to do it professionally.

I guess you took the subtle gtfo in that comment as part of the argument.

Lastly, I said nothing of value or money was lost, so the haircut example is a bad one...

Since you already won the argument, let's just stop here, alright? Continuing this shit is pretty much pointless anyways.

Dex-chan lover
@DrWhoCares: Your openly condescending self-righteousness and insistence on repetitively at-mentioning your same demand time at the TLer time and again says otherwise. That is what makes me deem your "criticism" as "worthless" as you put it (your words, not mine), not the fact that I disagree with parts/all of it.

Group Leader
@Shiikun
I took your comment:
"stef is just sharing stuff for free, s/he's not paid nor working as a translator here professionally. Go bother the MTLers with your "professionalism" rant"
As saying:
"Stef is doing this for free, and is not bound by any sort of contractual obligation, nor do you lose anything by not reading their releases. Stop complaining about trivial shit in good releases, and go complain at people who actually make shitty releases, like MTLers."

Your argument about how if you were paying for it, it's a different matter, I entirely agree with. However, I don't agree with the opposite end of that argument. Being that if it's free, and not up to your personal standards (my personal standards, in this case), then the criticism doesn't matter. I have to reiterate this point, because although you don't explicitly state it, your argument can only come to one logical conclusion:

"If you pay for the work, you can freely criticize it as much as you like."
"But if it's done for free, your criticism is either unwarranted, or unwelcome."

I simply cannot agree to that. My comment was never directed at the other readers of this series, it was directed at the scanlator, the translator. Yet, instead of getting a response from the scanlator, I receive a response from the fans, admonished for my criticism, on the believe that it's unwarranted, and unwelcome.

That's entirely why my argument with you is not about the untranslated "ara", it's about how you decided to make a comment to tell me your opinion on my criticism. You made the conscious decision to message me, to @ me, and to attack my criticism's worth. I'm not saying you're unjustified in doing so, quite the opposite, as that would undermine my entire argument. I'm just saying, I believe what you've done, and the reasons you gave for doing it, aren't the way you should approach these situations.

You could have attacked my manner of extending my criticism, focusing on my delivery, but you didn't. For whatever reason (the reason being unimportant, but usually personal beliefs), you instead chose to attack my right to criticize, telling me to leave. There's really only one thing that can mean:

You don't believe that my criticism is valid, and because it's not valid in your eyes, it shouldn't be expressed.

Dex-chan lover
let's popularize the use of "ara" and "ara ara" and so on until english dictionary have it on their entry just like kawaii
by then it won't need to be translated because it's already on english XD

Users who are viewing this thread