Shimeji Simulation - Vol. 2 Ch. 20 - Earth Donut

Why a four-year-old child could understand this chapter. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it.
(apologies to Groucho Marx)

Dex-chan lover
Is Shimeji Simulation slowly growing a larger fanbase? This chapter has the most comments I've seen so far.

Double-page supporter
Hm, that kid was used as a representation for God in the tower of Babel bit, and now, after the main characters fall into the abyss and appear in her room, they walk on water, bop the teacher with the fixing stick, and cure her depression. I agree with all the suppression and depression analogies being made from this chapter, they seem right. I guess the largest questions I have are what Shijime's sister is trying to do and the not quite dream sequence involved with it, the implications of cat girl Jesus are, and what donuts mean.

Dex-chan lover
You know, I love this manga and this chapter undoubtedly awesome, on par with dream one and even better, but what I think is that it doesn't need all that symbolism to be awesome. Its maybe even better this way. This chapter doesn't necessary have any hidden meaning, maybe it is just what it is and nothing more. It's pretty often the case with such works. Yeah, readers\watchers always tend to search for hidden ideas even if author themselves says there aren't, like it was with Evangelion. Well, It's not bad thing of course.

@Mikhail
Some chapters just get more attention and have a lot of fuel for discussion.

Fed-Kun's army
I love the world design of this manga. It seems like the earth is somehow hollow in this world.

Dex-chan lover
...so their world just has a space under in which a girl lives to do...stuff we don't have any idea about besides Shimeji-chan's dream. Which begs the question of what was even that dream back then. Pretty interesting stuff, even more considering what the...original work? prequel one-shot? was.

A bit late to the party but i think "holes" represent Lack/Desire in general in a Lacanian sense.
Teacher was always making new holes -> striving for smthg to do / purpose.
Because she felt like these were improper she repressed herself leading to an even bigger lack hence the big hole.
When the machine was made and the hole was "completed" she fell apart from no longer having desire/purpose/will.
Mute girl struggles with motivation and admired teach for her resolve in spite of absurdity.
In the end she lets herself make new holes (desires) recognizing that she needs them despite them being maladaptive/improper for a teacher (like alcohol).

welp.... that's my take.

(also something about escapism i dunno..)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread