Shimeji Simulation - Vol. 5 Ch. 49 - 🍄 🍳

Dex-chan lover
Were there any hints as to where or why the simulation was being hosted? I know some people were guessing the simulation was in the world of Girl's Last Tour, but nothing concrete.
We don't and shouldn't get that because it isn't important.

The simulation might be hosted in the Girl's Last Tour universe. It might be hosted in our reality. It might be hosted in some other place. It might very well be hosted nowhere, simply existing as a self-perpetuating algorithm.

But it isn't important. We shouldn't know because it should be capable of being any of those.

Double-page supporter
I wasn't ready for it to end so suddenly, but what a fascinating ride it's been...

Dex-chan lover
And here I've spent the last few months bracing myself for a tragic ending... Not complaining!

Dex-chan lover
Sweet that they could find themselves together and not fearing becoming one again, instead just letting their selves find themselves again after it and enjoying that fact.

The saddest part is people not always being able to have others besides them now, but hopefully with time they can find ways to unite with others, just like Shimeji and Majime have.

Dex-chan lover
It was a pleasure reading this manga. I can’t honestly say that I understood all of the story, but it was thought-provoking and touching. I will go back and read it again in the future. Than you to the translation team for all your hard work!

Dex-chan lover
This feels like a bad ending but at least our couple finally reunited. Hope there's extras that keep the story going 10/10

Man that was beautiful, I'm really looking forward for his next work

I can't believe we got a somewhat happy ending out of all of this.

I'm gonna miss this manga a lot, but I hope Tsukumizu enjoys a well-earned break after all of this.

Dex-chan lover
That was a nice ending. Also, this reminds me a bit of Otherside Picnic Vol. 8.
Both stories have a black haired protagonist (Shijima and Sorawo) who isn't aware of her attraction to the more obviously gay blonde woman (Majime and Toriko) that confesses her love to the protagonist frequently. Majime also has an egg as her identifying trait while Toriko has the kanji for bird in her name, which is pretty funny. Both couples had a really bad first time having sex, with Shijima and Majime having it a lot worse as Shimeji runs away in terror, where it was just really bad sex for Sorawo. However, when they combine again through surreal, extradimensional means, it's different how they end up.
Sorawo and Toriko end up fully becoming one unit. They are their own people, of course, but trying to discuss one without the other is pointless. There's no way to describe them, not partners, accomplices, lovers, wives, spouses, friends, nothing. No single stock character dynamic could perfectly fit them. They're just Sorawo and Toriko. In Shimeji Simulation, they give each other a little part of themselves, but never fully become one unit.
If you clicked this spoiler without reading Otherside Picnic, I'll recommend it again. It's more concrete than Shimeji Simulation, as it's set definitively in Japan and draws from early 2000's Japanese creepypastas for its horror. While I'm sure this may have you a bit doubtful, it's done incredibly well and is explained in a way that just engaged you even more. The entire series is, even more so than Shimeji Simulation, built around the relationship between Sorawo and Toriko, the two most important characters in the series. I hesitate to call them both main characters, because while Toriko is incredibly important, the only POV we ever see is Sorawo's, and she has a very strong narrative voice. The book is written in a way where there's not too much character in the narration that it obscures event, but enough that you can still easily tell Sorawo is the one narrating. You can read through, think about what Sorawo is describing vs. how it compares to her interpretation of it and tell "Huh. She is definitely biased on this." For example, Sorawo constantly thinks about Toriko and how attractive she is and how she must have so many friends. In reality, she's pretty antisocial and barely more social than Sorawo, but Sorawo is just constantly thinking "Oh she's so incredibly attractive she probably has a ton of friends and is super popular," so you never really notice. Also they don't talk to other people too much. I'm pretty sure there are only ten named characters that appear in multiple volumes.
TL;DR: Read Otherside Picnic, very good book series. Read light novels first, easily the best way of enjoying the story. Then manga, if you feel like it. Still pretty good. Then maybe the anime, but it reorders the first volume and a half to fit into a conventional 12 episode anime season, which really doesn't do well when there's eight volumes out and probably at least one more.
I really enjoyed this manga. I like how it approached other people influencing you. Trying to stay purely yourself isn't necessarily a good thing. You can't really trust or learn that way. I still cook largely the way my father cooks. Whenever I don't know how to pronounce something in German, I default to how I think my grandma would pronounce it. I'm not entirely myself, I've got a bit of other people scratched off onto me like a mark on stone. And I'm glad. Even when someone leaves your life, whether it's falling out of touch, having a falling out, breaking up, moving away, or them dying, you can still remember the good parts of them through what you got from them. Surrendering yourself and becoming wholly what other people want you to be isn't good either, of course. But it's alright to be a little bit someone else.
Of course, tkmz's art style works with the story amazingly well. The relationship between Shijima and Majime is adorable and incredibly well written. Back when they were having sex, Shijima was terrified of becoming one with Majime, but now they've found a way to give a little bit of themselves to each other without completely losing themselves. A kiss would've been nice, but actually seeing Shijima happy (or something close to it) in the last panel of page 18 is also adorable. It's nice to see Shijima calm for once, rather than apathetic (pages 17-18). And, of course, knowing that the two of them will live quietly and happily together is nice. They actually will live happily ever after, now that I think about it.
This is a really good story. Of course I'm sad it ended. But more than anything, I'm happy it was here. I'm happy I got to read about these two and about everyone else in the story. I think I'll carry this for a while. If you read all the way through this comment, I hope you're doing well. If you didn't, I hope you're doing well all the same.

Double-page supporter
I'm so happy for them!! Thank you for the translation

That was the sister's girlfriend. I think her death is what started her on the whole strange inventions path.

Oh, right. I forgot the name she used was not "Shijima", Shimeji's name. Even so, that leaves me with more questions but none of them are important-

Dex-chan lover
That was stunningly beautiful. After GLT i'm really glad about this ending. Maybe it's not quite happy one for everyone in this new "universe", but Shimeji and Majima and hopefully Yuu and Chito are more or less found their happiness. Even if it's just simulation inside computer drifting in space. After all it doesn't really matter what real and what not if you can't distinct between them. I'm not sure about Shijima's sister situation though.

Anyway, this new huge world populated with plushes is honestly pretty nice place for our MCs to live. They definitely won't get bored managing the lives of all these cute little guys. It's maybe won't be easy, but it's definitely will keep them occupied. And girls always can just leave for couple of hundred years to take a break and relax with just two of them. They are gods after all, gods don't need to overseer their people constantly

This manga is exactly the type of stuff I love reading. It's so full of hope and love. Humanity persists no matter what, and that's so wonderful. Tsukumizu's writing never fails to make me feel all sentimental and soft ^^

Fed-Kun's army
Finally all caught up. I think I'm too small-brained to really get the deeper meanings in works like this or at least I need more time to think about it as I binge read through half of it. I see the simulation they live in as a metaphor for the real world, commentating on how the real world is also unstable yet we try to live our regular lives in it while playing around with the concept of us becoming godlike. Very interesting and wouldn't have minded the manga being a bit longer either. I really enjoyed it for the surreal take on slice of life, the artstyle and the memorable cast. Thanks for the translations and hosting them here.

This is a bit of prose that I was moved to write based on their reunion. I hope it’s not too indulgent to share it here. Thanks so much for the translation! What a journey :)

For a moment we almost became one, but then split up again. The soft light of a half moon through glass coated the old classroom with silver shadows and I closed my eyes as our bodies merged together. We could feel each other’s outlines with unusual clarity. Neither you nor I made a sound as the wind outside continued to sing in the darkness. Over a long time we traced ourselves back to one simple wish, and might have found it - something that granted us our own shapes, and the reason for us being here. We exist inside one another, but right now we’re properly separated. The wind had calmed down and was replaced by the distant gentle tapping of rain from above. It was time for us to leave the classroom and enter the world. I wasn’t scared this time as I opened my eyes to gaze back into yours and I let myself believe for the first time that maybe we were alright.

Users who are viewing this thread