Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan - Vol. 2 Ch. 7 - French Fries

Omg March of the penguins! I watched it in theaters! I love nature docs and penguins, so it was cool! Tho some parts were sad

Double-page supporter
do you want potato sponges soaked in oil? because thats how you get them.
fry your potatoes like a sane person, then infuse couple tbsp oil with whatever spices and herbs and combine that oil with the fries.

That frying method does work, very well actually, but the bread flour isn't needed at all.

Fed-Kun's army
What is this heresy? First you heat up the oil, THEN you put in the potatoes, otherwise the fries will absorb oil like a sponge.

Dex-chan lover
They should have watched "Chocolat". Or, being Japanese (although her cooking seems mostly European) "Tampopo".

Fed-Kun's army
The putting the oil after is probably so the herbs do not burn themselves into charcoal and give an awful taste, but if the kitchen heats quickly enough irt will not absorb that much oil.

@nightwatch25 yea gotta agree with you normally it would soak up with oil. Ayari adds bread flour to the potatoes, so dunno if this affects whether or not the potatoes soak up oil.

If it does prevent oil from soaking up then there benefits from cooking this way: As the oils heats up it can blanch the potatoes and then crisp up the wedges. For most home frying without proper equipment, temperature regulation is difficult for large batches, but if there are potatoes slowly heating up with the oil then temperature will be stable. Also since temperature is stable, there is no need to cook in small batches, all the fries are done at the same time. That means they can enjoy the fries and not worry about cooking more while watching the movie. But of course all these benefits are assuming that it doesn't absorb oil.

I've had the best at-home results with oven-baked fries, personally. Toss with a light amount of oil and some seasonings, and bake at a high heat for a short time and you get crispy outsides with nice soft insides, and you don't have to deal with anywhere near as much cleanup after.

Fed-Kun's army
I tried this fries recipe today, and it worked really well. I'm from a place where the standard is, fiirst in not-so-hot oil to cook through, then in really hot oil to crisp up, but following the instructions, the result was really crispy and nice and not oily at all. The herbs didn't add much, though. Also, 12 minutes instead of 15 is enough.

But I've fried fries for over thirty years and I never believed the from-cold method would work, but it did.

Users who are viewing this thread