Shirley - Ch. 19 - Fabric accesories

Aggregator gang
Thanks to Elsa, Gangsta Cromwell and Leo-Chan for their help getting us delicious cake.

also, sssr, the word Shirley uses in her PTSD panel is "Kurou", which can translate as hardships, but literally means BLACK. You can not get darker than black, can't you? Let's say that the life of a turn-of-(past-)century orphan in England was... already dark enough.
But we already knew that, is not a surprise. And yes, it could be worse. Shirley had the luck to land on an orphanage run by an actually caring person. I guess Mori-sensei couldn't bring herself to give her a full-blown Oliver Twist backstory.

Dex-chan lover
damn I was lucky to see this in front page else I won't even knew this is continuing

thanks for the translation! shirley is my most favorite of all mori-sensei works but somehow I never follow it on MD until now lol, maybe because I never think it would continue at all

Dex-chan lover
Thanks to Elsa, Gangsta Cromwell and Leo-Chan for their help getting us delicious cake.

also, sssr, the word Shirley uses in her PTSD panel is "Kurou", which can translate as hardships, but literally means BLACK. You can not get darker than black, can't you? Let's say that the life of a turn-of-(past-)century orphan in England was... already dark enough.
But we already knew that, is not a surprise. And yes, it could be worse. Shirley had the luck to land on an orphanage run by an actually caring person. I guess Mori-sensei couldn't bring herself to give her a full-blown Oliver Twist backstory.
Kurou 苦労 is not 'black'; that's kuro 黒. Kurou is 'hardships, difficulties, the kind of thing you have to struggle through and endure'. Kuro is a native Japanese word; kurou is made of two Chinese loanwords - they're only coincidentally similar.

Aggregator gang
Kurou 苦労 is not 'black'; that's kuro 黒. Kurou is 'hardships, difficulties, the kind of thing you have to struggle through and endure'. Kuro is a native Japanese word; kurou is made of two Chinese loanwords - they're only coincidentally similar.
She doesn't use kanji. She uses hiragana (くろう) to call atention to the phonetic part that 苦労 and 黒 are almost homophones. It's not us making the play-of-words, it's Mori herself. Or at least, that's what Elsa (our translator) thinks.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you translators. Your work may be riddled with typos and grammatical errors, but it is so nice read another Mori Kaoru maid story.
Hi-5 (*'')/

Dex-chan lover
A shirley chapter! So it was something like that, huh... she's a kind child to not want the good people in her life to worry. But goodness...

Thank you for the translation, and the wonderful translation notes!!

Dex-chan lover
She doesn't use kanji. She uses hiragana (くろう) to call atention to the phonetic part that 苦労 and 黒 are almost homophones. It's not us making the play-of-words, it's Mori herself. Or at least, that's what Elsa (our translator) thinks.
Seems like a stretch to me, TBH; I'd only think it was a wordplay if the actual kanji 黒 was involved (like as ruby or whatever). There's a lot of reasons to just use hiragana, and 'being young and unfamiliar with a word' is definitely one possibility!

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the chapter. I will say, the font chosen was a little hard to read sometimes, but you all did a fair job.

I'm glad I followed, I never thought I'd see another chapter. Thank you and Mori-sensei for your hard work

Dex-chan lover
I super appreciate the work done and and am super happy to get more of mori's work and can tell the amount of effort that went into this scanlation but I would just suggest you might want either another editor or like a good english writer cause some spots are a little rough and reads a bit like direct translation and not natural english like "I run a small orphange. Shirley, she's a child that grew up in our house." is very stilted language. And the sewing explanation "She's a girl and she really needs to know how [to] sew." with an awkward Bennet which leads me to believe she's saying something more with the message that women should know how to sew. I just am so critical because I can tell how much effort went into the scanlation and this will likely be how basically every english speaker ever reads this work if they do.

Aggregator gang
Sadly, our little impromptu group won't be able to make any more scanlations - including future Shirley chapters.
Good bye "Gangsta Cromwell", you were a real pro at typesetting.

Users who are viewing this thread