shitpost here

Dex-chan lover
I guess you're entitled to your opinions, even if they're wrong and dumb and the objective truth is the entire prequel trilogy is a steaming pile (or would be, if I acknowledged its existence, which I don't). And then the mouse got his hands on the IP and made it all so much worse.

(I am prepared to die on this hill, just so you know.)
I won't try to change your opinion old timer that would be like arguing with a brick wall

Dex-chan lover
I guess you're entitled to your opinions, even if they're wrong and dumb and the objective truth is the entire prequel trilogy is a steaming pile (or would be, if I acknowledged its existence, which I don't). And then the mouse got his hands on the IP and made it all so much worse.

(I am prepared to die on this hill, just so you know.)
Six films from Lucas are the the official continuity. It's all from one guy's vision. That's what I think. The rest is some guy's fanfiction he wrote to piss off Star Wars fans that Disney found in a dumpster.

Dex-chan lover
Six films from Lucas are the the official continuity. It's all from one guy's vision. That's what I think. The rest is some guy's fanfiction he wrote to piss off Star Wars fans that Disney found in a dumpster.
[rubs hands gleefully]
The Holiday Special was canon (including the first appearance of Boba Fett and of Kashyyyk) before ESB was released, and was still canon until the mouse got a hold of the IP. Almost none of that beyond what was already in the original movie was from Lucas - he had next to nothing to do with the Special.

I am of the opinion that Lucas is full of shit if he claims to have had more than a few key prequel plot points and a broad picture of the greater universe worked out by the time RotJ wrapped. Note that a bunch of the expansion of the universe was done by the early book authors and then co-opted into the movies in one form or another.

As a side note, this allows me to claim that Jefferson Starship and Bea Arthur are canon, while Jar Jar Binks is not. I consider this a decisive advantage.

[Also, while I will gladly argue this until I've pissed everyone off several times over, I don't want to have that be confused with disparagment of anyone on the other side of the argument. You're all wonderful people, just impossibly wrong on this topic.]

Dex-chan lover
[rubs hands gleefully]
The Holiday Special was canon (including the first appearance of Boba Fett and of Kashyyyk) before ESB was released, and was still canon until the mouse got a hold of the IP. Almost none of that beyond what was already in the original movie was from Lucas - he had next to nothing to do with the Special.

I am of the opinion that Lucas is full of shit if he claims to have had more than a few key prequel plot points and a broad picture of the greater universe worked out by the time RotJ wrapped. Note that a bunch of the expansion of the universe was done by the early book authors and then co-opted into the movies in one form or another.

As a side note, this allows me to claim that Jefferson Starship and Bea Arthur are canon, while Jar Jar Binks is not. I consider this a decisive advantage.

[Also, while I will gladly argue this until I've pissed everyone off several times over, I don't want to have that be confused with disparagment of anyone on the other side of the argument. You're all wonderful people, just impossibly wrong on this topic.]
Alas I lack the knowledge and passion to properly articulate why I love the prequel films (besides phantom menace) as much as I love the original trilogy so sadly I can't and won't argue against people who think otherwise besides the basic "you're wrong and you can suck one if you don't think so" but at the end of the day as long as we both love the universe there is no need to discourage or harass a person from expressing their opinion in fact i quite enjoy seeing people who can and will enjoy debating people on why one trilogy is better than the other so long as they can articulate their points objectively and with confidence (even if youre wrong) because that just shows how much love they have for the series and a little banter here and there never hurt anybody as they say "if you can't take it don't dish it out" so even if you "piss people off" there is nothing wrong with that and i commend you for speaking out because if people stop speaking the franchise will eventually die off we all know how much damage Disney has done the last thing we need is for people to stop expressing their love for the previous trilogies (and the EU) cause then it would truly be the end of one the best franchises ever made.

T.L.D.R
You're good

Dex-chan lover
GKPtm3KakAATmRg

Dex-chan lover
Alas I lack the knowledge and passion to properly articulate why I love the prequel films (besides phantom menace) as much as I love the original trilogy so sadly I can't and won't argue against people who think otherwise besides the basic "you're wrong and you can suck one if you don't think so" but at the end of the day as long as we both love the universe there is no need to discourage or harass a person from expressing their opinion in fact i quite enjoy seeing people who can and will enjoy debating people on why one trilogy is better than the other so long as they can articulate their points objectively and with confidence (even if youre wrong) because that just shows how much love they have for the series and a little banter here and there never hurt anybody as they say "if you can't take it don't dish it out" so even if you "piss people off" there is nothing wrong with that and i commend you for speaking out because if people stop speaking the franchise will eventually die off we all know how much damage Disney has done the last thing we need is for people to stop expressing their love for the previous trilogies (and the EU) cause then it would truly be the end of one the best franchises ever made.

T.L.D.R
You're good
the prequels were unapologetically campy, which is what made them so enjoyable. they were Lucas's honest vision, and they lack self-awareness because of it. what we got weren't conventionally 'good' movies—they were movies with dialogue (and delivery) so quaint yet so brazenly written that it's still quotable today. they were fun because guys find a quad wielding droid general cool.

attempting to watch or judge the prequels through a professional lens will not beget great results (aside from the special effects and choreography, maybe). the movies aren't well-liked because of their narrative integrity or anything of the sort; they're well-liked because they're the product of one man's unfiltered autism portrayed on the big screen for all to see.

on the other hand, the sequels (movies 7-9) lack any degree of autism, which is why they are and always will be regarded as garbage films. they're films made to appeal to the lowest common denominator. add ESG awareness to their writing/production and what you get are movies with no visions (ESG shit doesn't count), no risks, and no soul. i'd rather read 10 volumes of some villainess manga than rewatch any of the sequels.

Dex-chan lover
the prequels were unapologetically campy, which is what made them so enjoyable. they were Lucas's honest vision, and they lack self-awareness because of it. what we got weren't conventionally 'good' movies—they were movies with dialogue (and delivery) so quaint yet so brazenly written that it's still quotable today. [...]
Which can be said of the first trilogy as well. There is certainly more of a common feel between the original movies and the prequels than any of the stuff that came after. Which raises the question, why am I so adamant about this?

I spent a bit of time last night (while drifting off to sleep) working through the reasons for my feelings on this topic, and a lot of it boils down to the lack of respect for the fan community Lucas exhibited during the '90's. I don't want to claim that the original version of the original trilogy was ever 'property of the fans,' because it's obviously not and Lucas and 20th Century Fox have very real legal rights to do what they want with the properties. But a couple of the edits Lucas made go beyond just 'cleaning up the prints' to the point of trying to whitewash and significantly change the original work. Not having Han shoot first subtly but significantly changes his character (and there's a good bit of evidence it was always Lucas's intention for Han to shoot first until well after the original movie was released). Yet Lucas was entirely willing to lie about this point in order to make the character 'more suitable for families' or some other bullshit.

I also think Lucas made a conscious decision to start using the films primarily as revenue sources some time in the '90's, when he made 'the last release of the original trilogy,' then turned around and edited the films and released those versions as well, fully expecting that 'true fans' would buy both sets... and then probably get another copy on DVD, when it was (eventually) released on that medium in 2004. All the while he was making minor changes to the films themselves.

Finally, having stood in line to try and see the midnight release for Phantom Menace (and having been too far back in line to make it into the theater and only seeing it the next night), the film itself was... kind of a let-down. It's a kiddie film. It has a cute(?) sidekick character. It's like Lucas took all the elements of the original film and chibified them, with an eye toward merchandise sales. Everyone knows Anakin becomes Vader, George - you can be a bit darker.

So the short version is that I don't like it when someone comes in and retcons a big part of my childhood, and then tries to sell it back to me at several times the original price.
T.L.D.R
You're good
:thumbsup:
i'd rather read 10 volumes of some villainess manga than rewatch any of the sequels.
:korone::wtf: I mean, I get it, but damn. You could have just said you'd rather walk out of the theater barefoot over broken glass or something.

Dex-chan lover
been watching some "to catch a predator" recaps/iceberg videos recently.
and damn, those guys really are dumb. but like, one question is always in the back of my mind and it's "are these dumbasses really finding kids attractive or are they just really into the power dynamic ?"
cause like, a 12-14 yo, doesn't even look that good and these people really go out of their way to get a piece of that.
the worse is when the ppl doing it are married. at which point its just like "dude you already got a wife, just tell her to do some roleplay or somethin"

Dex-chan lover
I spent a bit of time last night (while drifting off to sleep) working through the reasons for my feelings on this topic, and a lot of it boils down to the lack of respect for the fan community Lucas exhibited during the '90's. I don't want to claim that the original version of the original trilogy was ever 'property of the fans,' because it's obviously not and Lucas and 20th Century Fox have very real legal rights to do what they want with the properties. But a couple of the edits Lucas made go beyond just 'cleaning up the prints' to the point of trying to whitewash and significantly change the original work. Not having Han shoot first subtly but significantly changes his character (and there's a good bit of evidence it was always Lucas's intention for Han to shoot first until well after the original movie was released). Yet Lucas was entirely willing to lie about this point in order to make the character 'more suitable for families' or some other bullshit.

I also think Lucas made a conscious decision to start using the films primarily as revenue sources some time in the '90's, when he made 'the last release of the original trilogy,' then turned around and edited the films and released those versions as well, fully expecting that 'true fans' would buy both sets... and then probably get another copy on DVD, when it was (eventually) released on that medium in 2004. All the while he was making minor changes to the films themselves.

Finally, having stood in line to try and see the midnight release for Phantom Menace (and having been too far back in line to make it into the theater and only seeing it the next night), the film itself was... kind of a let-down. It's a kiddie film. It has a cute(?) sidekick character. It's like Lucas took all the elements of the original film and chibified them, with an eye toward merchandise sales. Everyone knows Anakin becomes Vader, George - you can be a bit darker.

So the short version is that I don't like it when someone comes in and retcons a big part of my childhood, and then tries to sell it back to me at several times the original price.
i do see what you mean. i think that Lucas' ideas were more reigned in during the making of original trilogy, which is why they lack the eccentricities (aka autism) of the prequels. once people saw what he created when given free reign to write or retcon whatever he felt, it made clear that he couldn't have created the original trilogies alone.

the release order is also important for how people distinguish the trilogies. when the overall 'best' part is released first and is all that we have to go off of when anticipating new releases, a distinction in viewer response is created between people who got into the franchise when the original stood on its own and people who got in after. i've seen this with things like attack on titan (pre-WIT to Mappa) and The Last Airbender (original series to Korra). it's less often that people distinguish two series/trilogies when watching them consecutively; instead they tend to view them as 'one work'.

anyways, i agree with you on the prequels and how they changed the franchise. 'what could have been' is more evident to those who were around before 'it already is', and i want that vein of criticism to have the recognition it deserves.

Dex-chan lover
been watching some "to catch a predator" recaps/iceberg videos recently.
and damn, those guys really are dumb. but like, one question is always in the back of my mind and it's "are these dumbasses really finding kids attractive or are they just really into the power dynamic ?"
cause like, a 12-14 yo, doesn't even look that good and these people really go out of their way to get a piece of that.
the worse is when the ppl doing it are married. at which point its just like "dude you already got a wife, just tell her to do some roleplay or somethin"
My friend's dad was on To Catch a Predator many years ago. Someone working on the show heard him speaking in a grocery store and must have thought he sounded like a pedophile, since they got him to do the voice overs for quotes or something.

Users who are viewing this thread