Shiyakusho - Vol. 1 Ch. 5.5 - Volume Extra

Contributor
Facking hell, I forgot to translate a subtitle in the newspaper
You guys saw nothing

Dex-chan lover
Holy crap. Mad props to the translators and typesetters for translating an entire newspaper article! It's a lot of work but it makes the world of the manga feel so much more lived in and makes the characters more realistic.

Your hard work is much appreciated! You guys deserve a medal!

mtt

Do Japanese media always show victim identities, especially younger ones?

Group Leader
@mtt
I don't think so, they're usually pretty big about protecting minor's identities whether they're the victim or the perpetrator.
but if they do maybe it depends on the crime and/or parental consent. Like I'm about 99.9% certain they would never out a child victim of sexual crimes, whether they're alive or not. When reporting they usually go with "girl/boy -insert random letter here-" when referring to them.

mtt

@gomichandesu
Yeah, I've read Shonen A.
I know it's meant to be sympathetic to the kids (and that this is just a manga), but I'm still surprised that apparently someone straight-up published a full-on autobiography of each of them.

@mtt @gomichandesu
It depends on the crime. Murders usually get full coverage, a recent example would be the murder of Uemura Ryouta in 2015, where the news published his name and the details just a few days after it happened. Here is the link for his wiki article: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%B7%9D%E5%B4%8E%E5%B8%82%E4%B8%AD1%E7%94%B7%E5%AD%90%E7%94%9F%E5%BE%92%E6%AE%BA%E5%AE%B3%E4%BA%8B%E4%BB%B6

And as you can see, the police only hid the identity of the murderers (A, B and C) in order to protect their family. The internet can be quite agressive towards them, sending death wishes to the family members because "a rotten apple comes from a rotten tree". There is a movie which centers around this plot, a detective needs to protect a little girl from the media after her older brother murdered someone and... yeah, people can be nasty. The movie's title is 誰も守ってくれない or Nobody to Watch Over Me if anyone is interested.

Dex-chan lover
Wow! That was an interesting article! I love how the author still expands the story even after the character's death!

Dex-chan lover
How can this man pump out feels and existential crisis and then drop funny extras like this?

Users who are viewing this thread