Sigrid - Ch. 61

Dex-chan lover
Nyaaah! I want Morris... Why does it had to be Veramude.... I don't hate him, but if i had to choose, i really would like it to be Morris...

Dex-chan lover
The emperor is kind of a poorly written villain. The author should explain more what prevents him from murdering the current crown prince, since he had done so previously with his first (and by that time ONLY) son of "unparalleled" talent and heir to the empire. He doesnt need to go through all this schemeing. a sword through the chest is enough.

Also it should be elaborated what kind of army or otherwise military backing he has. With the current system, staging a coup could be done by a retard.

Double-page supporter
The emperor is kind of a poorly written villain. The author should explain more what prevents him from murdering the current crown prince, since he had done so previously with his first (and by that time ONLY) son of "unparalleled" talent and heir to the empire. He doesnt need to go through all this schemeing. a sword through the chest is enough.

Also it should be elaborated what kind of army or otherwise military backing he has. With the current system, staging a coup could be done by a retard.
I agree partially.
As is said the king has a lot of power and so far the prince was not a threat.
But now the king feels the need to reinstate his personal guard that just follows his orders without question and start a purge.
It looks like a simple plot but if you look at history of medieval era ,killings siblings was quite common in royalty and the planing of such things was very far from a super villain plan.

Dex-chan lover
So, the emperor became power-crazy because his mother stripped him of his authority when he was young, then sought revenge, and eventually turned into a paranoid ruler who even killed his own son? Totally sounds like what a villain's backstory that is.

For a brief moment, I felt sympathy due to his power-hungry mother, but his actions quickly reminded me of the extent he went to.

Dex-chan lover
I agree partially.
As is said the king has a lot of power and so far the prince was not a threat.
But now the king feels the need to reinstate his personal guard that just follows his orders without question and start a purge.
It looks like a simple plot but if you look at history of medieval era ,killings siblings was quite common in royalty and the planing of such things was very far from a super villain plan.
It's not that he kills his family members or people who threaten his authority. The emperor is basically hyper-paranoid and tries to kill everyone whom he suspects if threatening his power. Unfortunately, that means basically anyone even remotely competent at their government-related job, and their supporters. Hell, he even executed the then blindly loyal Sigrid.

Also, with the whole medieval ruler sibling killing, it varied greatly between different places. IIRC outright killing all your siblings after getting the throne wasn't really common.

Dex-chan lover
The emperor is kind of a poorly written villain. The author should explain more what prevents him from murdering the current crown prince, since he had done so previously with his first (and by that time ONLY) son of "unparalleled" talent and heir to the empire.

It's possible that he regards having done so openly as a mistake, something that damaged his authority instead of increasing it. If so, then he is a dangerous villain ... because he's the kind who can learn from his mistakes instead of repeating them.

And perhaps Sigrid is not the only one around who remembers a version of history that hasn't happened yet.

Dex-chan lover

You've got me thinking about the nature of the story. So far the emperor is a background character. We've not been shown his thoughts. We get outside perspectives from other POV characters. He's more like a setting than a character with agency. This is a story of Sigrid trying to redo her life with different values, so the emperor only needs to be an abstract menace to foil our hero.

It could make a deeper analysis of power, court politics, etc. But it could also just be about Sigrid making the best decision based on limited information. Last time she chose loyalty to power and it got her killed. This time she's choosing loyalty to friends. We don't need to know why the emperor acts this way, we only need him to threaten Sigrid's friends to force her to act. I would be satisfied with that.

Dex-chan lover
It's possible that he regards having done so openly as a mistake, something that damaged his authority instead of increasing it. If so, then he is a dangerous villain ... because he's the kind who can learn from his mistakes instead of repeating them.

And perhaps Sigrid is not the only one around who remembers a version of history that hasn't happened yet.
This is a good perspective. I hope the second part is not true. To be honest, I see this to be some sort of conspiracy by the outcast mages and proper mages, former urging the emperor to his actioms, latter being responsible for the time shenanigans (maybe not purposefully) - and I dislike these type of "puppet master behind puppet master" stories. They do not feel realistic at all. So youre probably right that there exists at least another person with the same knowledge.

Might need a reread, but the emperor did try to kill the crown prince right? Only this time around Siri was there to help them, maybe the emperor is waiting for another chance now.

In the past the crown prince & veramude were heavily injured and the wive died, i guess that was enough to weaken him without outright killing him.

Dex-chan lover
Maybe the reason she regressed was because she didn't actually live the first time around. :thonk:

Users who are viewing this thread