Since I Became a Commoner, My Engagement Was Broken! - Vol. 1 Ch. 4

I wonder if Anette really is a saint, or if she's just like her parents and brother.

The MC is a bit dumb and useless, but she is trying to become better, she just seems to run away from what she's scared of confronting(and it's easy to judge when you're not in her place).

She knew the parents would throw her away as soon as they knew, but she was scared of knowing how her brother would react, because in her small world, he was the only one who showed her kindness, and now she knows it was only because he thought she was his sister.

Everyone saying the way he acted is completely right(I understand being disappointed with her, but just saying "gtfo ugly" as soon as he knows the truth just shows he didn't really care that much about her) is really weird. If you learned you were adopted, would you immediately abandon the parents who raised you and transfer all those feelings to your biological parents? There have been cases of real babies being swapped, the families don't just swap them back and pretend the other child never existed when they find out years after it happened. The fact that they can immediately abandon her even though they were with her for 14 years shows that they never cared about her to begin with.

Dex-chan lover
They grew up together, he's known her since childhood, how is she supposed to be responsible for anything that happened? Yes, she knew about it but it should be obvious that a baby has no say in the matter, which means that she got the information only after it already happened. If one of my brothers suddenly revealed that he's not my real brother I'd try to figure out what happened but I wouldn't suddenly hate him. I like him because of the time spent together, not the shared DNA. And revealing such a secret, especially towards your own family is never easy. Especially if you can't be sure that they won't kick you out.
It's all about the betrayal feels that the brother have.
I have been in the brother position. I've been deceived for 3+ years by the person i trust the most. The only thing that person said was she afraid to tell the truth. 10+ years of friendship just make the pain of betrayal worse. I didn't even want to have anything to do with that person anymore

It hurt more to find out about it yourself rather than hearing it from the person.

I can forgive everyone around me that make a mistake or do me wrong almost instantly when they tell me the truths and apologize. I might be mad for a moment but i always forgive them and find a solution together

I just can't understand why would someone decided to do something like what the MC did when the results would be 1000% worse if they keep quite and deceived someone. Rather than telling the truth

It's all about the betrayal feels that the brother have.
I have been in the brother position. I've been deceived for 3+ years by the person i trust the most. The only thing that person said was she afraid to tell the truth. 10+ years of friendship just make the pain of betrayal worse. I didn't even want to have anything to do with that person anymore

It hurt more to find out about it yourself rather than hearing it from the person.

I can forgive everyone around me that make a mistake or do me wrong almost instantly when they tell me the truths and apologize. I might be mad for a moment but i always forgive them and find a solution together

I just can't understand why would someone decided to do something like what the MC did when the results would be 1000% worse if they keep quite and deceived someone. Rather than telling the truth

I think you're forgetting how old she is. She's a child, combine that with the fact that she feels there's only one person that really loves her.. Ofcourse she's going to be to afraid to tell the truth.
I don't know how and why you were deceived so I won't speak on that, but this girl had literally everything to lose. Her home, her family, the only person that really cared for her. What would she do if the brother responded badly? She would've been thrown out in the streets. She'd be homeless and alone. That's a pretty big pressure for a child to deal with.

Contributor
This is angsty forced drama oh woe is me crap. Author was trying for deep moral conflict and betrayel but doesn't have the skill so everyone seems bipolar. it was an iffy follow two years ago and I was surprised it got picked up again but now dropped.

Dex-chan lover
I think you're forgetting how old she is. She's a child, combine that with the fact that she feels there's only one person that really loves her.. Ofcourse she's going to be to afraid to tell the truth.
I don't know how and why you were deceived so I won't speak on that, but this girl had literally everything to lose. Her home, her family, the only person that really cared for her. What would she do if the brother responded badly? She would've been thrown out in the streets. She'd be homeless and alone. That's a pretty big pressure for a child to deal with.
Still an idiot for trying to cover it and ended up deceiving the family.

If she's just tell her brother what she know from the fairy she won't take all the blame, the fairy would take the majority of it. Cause it was known that the fairy are whimsical piece of shit and can do anything just for fun and the brother opinion of her wouldn't be so bad and there would be a possibility that the brother would keep her until he found his real sister because she have the information and can help him to find his real sister. Even if she ended up getting kicked out. The brother would give her something to help her get into her feet rather than just throw her away.

But by keeping quiet like that the brother would think she's a despicable person that tried to deceived his family and take his real sister place.

Even the fairies know better. That's why he keep remind her to come forward. Heck she can even use the fairy to convince the brother by telling him the exact location of his sister

Dex-chan lover

If she's just tell her brother what she know from the fairy she won't take all the blame, the fairy would take the majority of it. Cause it was known that the fairy are whimsical piece of shit and can do anything just for fun and the brother opinion of her wouldn't be so bad and there would be a possibility that the brother would keep her until he found his real sister because she have the information and can help him to find his real sister. Even if she ended up getting kicked out. The brother would give her something to help her get into her feet rather than just throw her away.

But by keeping quiet like that the brother would think she's a despicable person that tried to deceived his family and take his real sister place.

Even the fairies know better. That's why he keep remind her to come forward. Heck she can even use the fairy to convince the brother by telling him the exact location of his sister
The point is that while telling him would have no doubt been the most logical option, people don't always behave logically! Especially if everything that they know and hold dear is on the line. Ignoring change and hoping that it will somehow turn out okay is stupid but it's also what humans do. We've had proof that climate change exists since decades and to this date people don't want to change the way they live their lifes. You can't expect a teenage girl that grew up in a dysfunctional family to take the most logical steps just because they seem obvious to you as an outsider that has no stakes in the matter. If humans were that simple we would live in a different world right now

You're making a lot of assumptions that everything would've been better if she would've just told them the truth. The thing is we don't know do we? We don't know if the brother would've helped her out if she told him earlier, that's all speculation on your side. Besides, it's really easy saying that from an outsiders perspective.. But again, she's a little kid that's scared. She isn't a f(*)&ing Vulcan acting out of logic. :ROFLMAO:

Dex-chan lover
Did I miss something? This has got to be a bad dream, like her worst nightmare scenario.
It makes no sense for MC's parents to run up to a stranger, announce she's their daughter because she happens to be blonde, hug the stranger (both parents have been very hands-off and cold to their only two children up till this point), and leave MC standing in the snow as they walk away.
That's not believable at all, it's totally out of character for the parents and it's not how rational people act.

Dex-chan lover
Oh geez, are they seriously going to blame a 15 (I think) year old child on why she didn't want to say she's not the "real" daughter? When they're already distant? I can't blame her, not really.
After she was neglected, if not abused, most of her life at that.

I remember reading spoilers for this series a long long time ago.

(what i can remember of mid to late story spoilies for the novel):
if I'm remembering correctly the parents(both sets!) and siblings(again both sets!) continue to blame her for not being the other girl. (which by the way, I don't think the other girl was bad, she just wanted to go back to the family who raised her and really really loves her younger siblings and mum.)

It really disturbed me how fast mc's family, especially her brother turned on her back around the time i read the spoilers. Emotionally of course someone would find it hard to tell their family or be in denial over it. Even an ADULT would find that especially difficult. I really can't imagine reading these stories as someone in an adopted family tbh. Bc a lot of them portray the bonds as rather easily broken.

I dont remember a lot of the very ending spoilers to be honest, bc it kind of recked me emotionally thinking about your entire family turning on you like this and being booted into a just as hostile new environment esp with the author making it as painful as possible. But iirc she meets a sweet dude and gets married and for some reason forgives her non bio big bro for completely rejecting her enough to invite him to the wedding.(goodness knows i dont know how i would)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
After she was neglected, if not abused, most of her life at that.

I remember reading spoilers for this series a long long time ago.

(what i can remember of mid to late story spoilies for the novel):
if I'm remembering correctly the parents(both sets!) and siblings(again both sets!) continue to blame her for not being the other girl. (which by the way, I don't think the other girl was bad, she just wanted to go back to the family who raised her and really really loves her younger siblings and mum.)

It really disturbed me how fast mc's family, especially her brother turned on her back around the time i read the spoilers. Emotionally of course someone would find it hard to tell their family or be in denial over it. Even an ADULT would find that especially difficult. I really can't imagine reading these stories as someone in an adopted family tbh. Bc a lot of them portray the bonds as rather easily broken.

I dont remember a lot of the very ending spoilers to be honest, bc it kind of recked me emotionally thinking about your entire family turning on you like this and being booted into a just as hostile new environment esp with the author making it as painful as possible. But iirc she meets a sweet dude and gets married and for some reason forgives her non bio big bro for completely rejecting her enough to invite him to the wedding.(goodness knows i dont know how i would)
Dear lord, the spoilers sound miserable.

Dex-chan lover
Dear lord, the spoilers sound miserable.
I also bring spoilers.

- MC gets together with Tsundere Fiancee.

- Annette is not a biatch. She is equally as shocked as MC when she saw how fast her real family dropped MC. She especially admonishes Blonde Onii-sama for dropping MC especially fast despite growing with one another.

- Annette and Tsundere Fiancee get engaged against their will. Both do not love each other, so they agree to a plan where they get engaged for now but will break it off once they graduate. Tsundere Fiancee agreed to this because his parents stop him from having a relationship with MC because of her status. Annette agreed to this because she is actually in love with another noble man.

Dex-chan lover

If she told her brother earlier, it'd end up exactly like it did here: Her family would kick her out and go collect the other girl, her brother would turn on her and leave her in the dust after finding some way to blame her for the situation, and she'd be out on her own with nobody but her fairy friend to turn to.

This chapter showed us the family's true characters. We already knew about the parents, but now we see that the brother didn't really care about her either. If she had come clean to him earlier, he would not have provided her with any kind of support after she got kicked out. No parting gifts, no behind the scenes looking out for her, no helping her land on her feet, none of it. After all, the moment she told him he would realize that she's not his "real" sister, and so he would no longer have any reason to care about her.

Dex-chan lover
Everyone blaming the main character, the goddamn VICTIM in this scenario, I'd love to see you throw away every single one of your possessions, down to everything but the clothes you're currently wearing, all in a vain attempt to do what's "right".
Do it, no balls, you pansies.

Dex-chan lover
Sigh. I feel bad for her but she was struggling with an identity crisis. Annette too seems to have been hinted at for over a year.

Users who are viewing this thread