Sincerely: I Became a Duke's Maid - Vol. 2 Ch. 59

Nope still not into it... and now I need to rant. edit: now that I've posted it I realise this turned into an essay... so sorry 🤭😨
This story is such a struggle. I've teetered between liking it and dropping it ever since Ibee healed Alejandro.
And the reason is that Ibee has rubbed me the wrong way ever since.

There's a bit of the fact that the transition between her taking care of him as a charge and her liking him was badly mishandled (sorry I still don't see how she fell for him, there are only two valid reasons I find understandable, and they aren't really enough: he's super handsome, and she was actually so in love with him when he was a book character that she changed worlds. They could be enough, but she played a sister/mother/servant role to him for a good chunk of time and that was when they bonded the strongest and not in a romantic way. I can see the love, and I want to see the IN love, but I don't).

More than that though... I don't think Ibee has much character, she's incredibly plain. Now there's nothing inherently wrong with that, but a main character needs SOMETHING to draw the story. They are the focus and therefore they need anything that makes the reader want to know their story. If they are normal, as she is, then they need a solid goal. And ever since she cured the ML she has had none. As an example just look at everyone's favorite character: Lily. Lily is badass and she draws the attention. But all in all she hasn't done that much, a few clipped sentences, a dry sense of humor, all good things, but is it enough to get all that love? Maybe. But I think it's because all her actions are bent toward one desire, one goal. And that is to protect her chosen master's interests no matter what. She is unswervingly loyal to Alejandro and all her actions and words are bent on ensuring his interests are protected. And that makes her super cool, and it explains everything she does, including how good she is with her sword and the fact that she becomes the perfect maid to ensure she can help Ibee out of tough spots and jobs. All for the sake of Alejandro.

Back to Ibee. Her goal before the cure was for the ML to get through his ordeal with less pain than the book, to be his support until the book FL could save him. That desire grew until she eventually heals him herself. But after that... her "goal" became to not be a burden to him. Until she left with the aim to live a normal uneventful life... no story driving goal there. She's not planning on exploring this world she still doesn't know well, she's not planning on making new friends, she's not even planning on learning a new skill or trade, all things that made sense and could have been interesting she just sticks to being a maid in a different household (meanwhile Alejandro was doing everything he could to ensure he had the power and standing and education that would allow him to bring her back and protect her. I feel like he's putting way more effort here than she is, and that bugs me, but it's not super important I guess).
Then the ML brings her back, but there's still no outline of a goal, she's witnessing things, she's barely come to understand that she's going to be the duchess, but there's still no intent on her part to do something with it she doesn't seem to want that position except that it means she's with the guy she apparently loves.
Honestly I wouldn't care if she set a goal to make the duchy into a gorgeous garden. It would make sense if she was making plans on how to establish herself over the servants when she was once one of them (hell that's something she should be worried about at least, right? Whether or not they will respect her? After she was kicked out? Some of those who knew her should still be there I think, like the guy who liked her?). But no, she's just letting herself be swept up in Alejandro's plans (which he hasn't really talked about either) and is watching as the story unfolds and the events of the book are drawing nearer.
She just needs to want something, just have a goal, that will make me want to keep hearing her story, it really doesn't have to be big, it can even be very temporary, but don't give me a passive MC chapter after chapter. I always like noticing a character that is looking over events and essentially empathising with the readers, but it shouldn't be the MC.

My guess is that tension will build when the prince rediscovers her and it will amp the enmity between the prince and the ML to the point that a possible repeat of the original book scenario will be in the works, and she'll want to prevent that.
I hope it will be handled well because if it isn't done well, I can just see it turn into a dog fight with her as a piece of meat in the middle passively worrying about what is going to happen, trying to stop Alejandro for fear that he will die and therefore inadvertantly taking the prince's side, at which point the prince will swoop in promise not to hurt Alejandro as long as she goes with the prince, which of course she will agree to. At which point our poor ML will be hurt and betrayed and retreat in a wall of fury and make plans to steal her back no matter what. But Lily, ever wonderful will get herself hired as an exemplary maid so that she can bust Ibee out and return her to Alejandro just in time to stave off the killing blow (I'm not sure who would be almost dying, I'm just sure there would be a killing blow to stave off).
I can see the story going like that so clearly I almost want to put spoiler tags on it... As epic as the last scenes with Lily would be, the rest would suck, I really hope that's not how it will go. And please, please let the MC set a clear goal for herself, because right now she's useless in the plot as well as in the current fight (this last one only bothers me in the sense that she's done very little other wise, i don't actually expect her to suddenly know how to fight).
I feel a lot better after this rant, and if you have read all of it, I am impressed, and I thank you for your patience in getting to the end.

Double-page supporter
Ibee just sitting there an enjoying the show like the rest of us xD

@Kardelune

the transition between her taking care of him as a charge and her liking him was badly mishandled
You are right without question. I think it's amazing that from the premise the author was able to ruin this romance so badly. She is a mother to him and not a fangirl.

don't think Ibee has much character
More than that I do think that sometimes her character is beyond ridiculous. She even complained about the fact that she had to learn how to read and write... She said that she wouldn't need it anyways. Sorry but nobody from our time would do that. Did the author forgot that his MC is supposed to have modern values.

I do like your predictions for the upcoming events but I think that you are wrong. I don't think that this story will have "real" tension. For quite a while we got nothing but overflowing devotion towards the MC by every character in here and if nothing is going to happen soon I will drop this like a hot potato.

@Dragou Knowing you are safe with someone is one thing, actively enjoying what is happening is an entirely different matter. She could have been hiding in the carriage in a worried state and calm herself down by thinking about Alejandro and how she is safe with him. Instead, she is glued to the window watching the "action". There is no indication that she is blending out what's going on based on that.

So I'm not allowed to criticize the author until everything is said and done? I'm just supposed to like and accept everything thrown at us readers because it's their world and maybe perhaps possibly they might still resolve this in a better way?
(I'm aware of that but there are plenty enough who do and just listening to their groans and dying sounds should be enough for sheltered Ibee.)

A point against Ibee here is automatically a point against the author. The author fucked up by making Ibee act like a psycho because it goes against her character, unless this is meant to reveal that Ibee still thinks of everything as a novel, like these are not real people but just characters who are dying, which in turn would make her an actual psycho after all these years in the novel. As you yourself pointed out, she has lived there a long time and has accepted this as her reality and thus also accepted the people around her as living breathing beings. Which means that being so unconcerned with their deaths makes her a psychopath.

I'm saying all this because I've thought this through, unlike the author (unless once again, it's meant to showcase that Ibee still thinks of everything as a novel). Just look around this comment section and you will see that the majority comments on Ibee's unnatural reaction to the situation. Most people seem amused by it but there seems to be a general agreement that this is not a good reaction to have.

@Kardelune

I enjoyed your comment more than the actual chapter 🤣
Now I am really interested If this will go the way you described (but I really see it happening and also feel like what you've wrote was a spoiler)

Awwwww that chibi drawing of Ale protecting Ibee is so cute 🥺🖤

Dex-chan lover
@NoSoup What I say is waiting for this scene to be over and then complain about it. If you complain now without seeing the end of it, is premature. What is that she soon realizes/doesnt blend out the dead people in its fullest without be focused on Alejandro and Lily .... if she is still excitingly enjoying it, then it would be a great valid point, besides the fact that you never even hinted that you believe it as a break in her character, which would be a point against the author and not against the character AND NO not every point against a character is always a point against the author in its entirety. There is even a possibility that she feels bad for beeing excited seeing Alejandro fighting here after it is done, which could be used to fleshing out her character or character developement.

Others complain also mostly about parts that are already finished and that is ok, this situation isnt judged (yet), which is the better approach. We dont know if the author has any intentions behind it and therefore every complain, rant and so on about it, would be not well made. There are ways to make something good out of this situation, which maybe even could better the story overall.

@kardelune This is EXACTLY how I have been feeling ever since she healed him. She COMPLETELY lost her goal.. she might as well have disappeared from the novel world & things would be exactly the same. she does NOTHING & she is supposed to be the MC... an MC is supposed to be the one who pulls the story along but she has no personality to do that. She might as well be an otome game chara where the player needs to project their own personality. It's so frustrating cos she is actually just insanelyyy DUMB. She knows the whole story, she knows how it's gonna play out, & instead of using the information she has at hand to help out the guy she apparently "loves", she just sits around staring at everything completely spaced out & clueless af. The events of the novel are unfolding right in front of her eyes & instead of trying to figure out how to help Ale she is just saying nonsense like "oohh, the Ambrosetti ppl are here, lemme enjoy human slaughter!!" YOU DONT HECCIN SAY????

No one is saying ANYTHING, idek what is the point of this story any more cos nothing is happening. Ale is not opening his mouth about anything & he really heccing needs to because Ibe wont understand even IF he explained it to her because she is legit too dumb for that. Imagine with him saying nothing.. g o s h. The romance b/w them is so unappealing & non existent as well. He just loves her cos she saved him & she was looking after him like a caretaker & treats him like a child, where is the love there?? She only ever blushes about how handsome he looks now.
Ibe before the curse broke was so focused & hardworking & determined. You found yourself rooting for her. She also appeared to be efficient back then?? but after she decided to leave, she legit just became an airheaded & incompetent idiot that even a KNIGHT was a better maid than her...

And how dumb do you have to be to think Ale is STILL gonna fall for the original FL?? He would literally just fall for whoever was kind enough to break his curse, I think they made that pretty clear. & still she is probably gonna get all jealous & hung up over how Ale is gonna wanna be w the princess whenever he meets her. I am also 99.9999% sure the story will play out EXACTLY as you described it. If someone would be kind enough to tell me if you've read the novel, I would be grateful so that I can just drop this manhwa & move on.

And yes, Lily is literally my fav chara here... Ibe is impossible to love & Ale is way too clingy & cringey for me :'))

The rant also made me feel better xDDD & regardless of the vent, I highly appreciate the translation team for always being so dedicated & giving such quality translations qwq <3

@Rubbiccino the beliefs Ibe has about the initial FL gets me so pissed like do you seriously think he will fall in love with her JUST CUZ?? It’s like she forgot she read the whole story. Wasn’t the reason Ale fell in love with blonde girl bc she cured his curse and since Ibe already did that HOW THE HECK IS HE GONNA FALL IN LOVE WITH ELENORA NOW?? She doesn’t think straight even if he did somehow magically fall in love with Elenora for some other reason why would Ibe want that to happen if she knows his fate if that happens. Wouldn’t she want actually want to stop that relationship from forming since he only gets heartbroken and death at the end. Like this whole time I’ve been screaming at Ibe before she got with Ale WHY do you hope for him and elenora to get together you already know what happens Diego takes her away from him and he dies. If I was Ibe I don’t care if I burden him I’m fucking stopping him and Elenora from happening geez she’s seriously just an airhead she’s not thinking about anything just going with the flow lalaing around it’s annoying and painful to read. Oof sorry I just had to let this all out hehe

@Kardelune tbh idk if other people think the same probably not BUT IF a love triangle does happen between Ibe, Ale, and Diego like in the original book (just now instead of elenora it’ll be Ibe) I might as well drop this series a love triangle with tension is so unnecessary since her and Ale are already a set couple if Diego steps in it’ll just be cheating at this point and it always irks me how in most manhwas the mc/fl will have so many male companions but if the Ml just looks at another female it becomes a whole problem like same energy? Diego is also a very unlike able character his looks don’t even make up for it but even if he was attractive no joke no other character has pissed me off more than he has and I’ve read a shitload of manhwas, mangas, webtoons. Although I already have a feeling that they will use Diego maybe not soon but definitely to keep readers interested although it’ll be painful asl to read since Diego is not the least bit like able or interesting like dude I get villains aren’t always suppose to be like-able but geez they really made him a complete asshat with no sense of morals. Also the way they made him be connected with Ibe was strange....like is he a masochist or something? Idk it was definitely rushed

Users who are viewing this thread