Slime Life

Supporter
BE CAREFUL WHEN READING series is about vicious bullying to innocent contingent worker! Shop owner is cruel physical and sexual harasser!

Fed-Kun's army
Why do people angry about a bullying manga where we see how the bully suffer and like mangas like that schoolgirl one, where we mainly see the victim suffer?

Dex-chan lover
I saw the cover and description and thought it would be like "Slime Taoshite 300-nen, Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashit". I was way off but this is a very amusing story.

Contributor
@neorasp:

A few times so far this manga actually has come in the vicinity of crossing a line for me, so let me try to answer your question:

1. A different set of people (although I'm sure overlapping) are reading those two comics you're talking about, and with different expectations. I certainly don't usually read manga about bullying (Takagi-san is about the limit of my tolerance, and most would agree that's teasing much moreso than bullying). But I do read manga about cute fantasy creatures. That is to say, you most likely won't find me complaining about stuff in whatever manga you're talking about because I would never get anywhere near it.

2. Compared to some other manga, this one seems to somehow lack self-awareness that the protagonist is being abusive; in a way the sugar-coated bullying is much more alarming because it seems to say to the reader, "Bullying is just fun and games kids ^^"—which is, well, a bit disturbing. By contrast, in weird fetish mangas or whatever you're talking about, there is more often an implicit understanding between the author and audience that what's going on is not really okay, or at the very least not socially accepted (but that the author/audience enjoy it regardless, often as a guilty pleasure).

@banjomarx: As detailed above, I believe some of us are only half-joking. This manga is pushing it, slightly. Not so much that I feel totally rational making a fuss about it, and yet...

Contributor
@RadioForrest:

No, I just don't really like bullying and find some bits of this somewhat mildly off-putting. Explaining (or trying to, at any rate) exactly why I feel that way about this particular manga, which many others see as perfectly benign, is where things get a bit involved.

It's the time-honoured, mucky, oft-unsuccessful business of trying to explain one's own perspective to another.

this is too wholesome for my dirty eyes, i'm not worthy of such punyopunyo

Aggregator gang
Great find. Lucky me to find this. And I much appreciated to translator.
8hrAApD4_thumb.png

I'm finding really hard to get into this story when I don't agree with the central premise that the slime is cute.

The black mage is cute, but the slime is not. That's backwards you know.

Users who are viewing this thread