Solo Leveling - Vol. 1 Ch. 106

Dex-chan lover
@ErenRathe that logic isnt very good tbh, alot of male targeted manga/anime use more female than male cast (for fan service but still xD)

@Kisa24 - Sung Jin Woo is literally the only fully developed character in this series. I'm not really understanding why you're feeling the need to bring this up here when that's pretty well established.
Mind if I ask why it's a problem for men to write stories meant to appeal to other men? I can understand that you don't particularly resonate with a lot of the female characters, but did you consider that a vast majority of men feel the same when reading female written portrayals of men in shoujo or josei? Where men are potrayed as an idealized version meant to appeal to women? In these situations I don't tend to see men coming around making sexist generalizations while pretending to be a victim. Although, I'm sure there's always going to be a bunch of overly-hormonal teenage dudes asking where the sex is. Sorry about that.
Here's my take when I encounter it: not everything is meant to be for me. I simply accept that perhaps, just maybe, an author just wants to tell a certain story, and that anything I find that doesn't click with me isn't a sign of some pernicious unconscious bias, but rather, their attempt to do so while also simultaneously keeping their core demographic engaged enough to continue without getting axed.
I'm not trying to come across callous or antagonistic, but I'm sorry, your post comes across a bit self-serving.

I hope you have a good night/day. Stay positive and enjoy life.

@Kisa24 You do realize that none besides Jinwoo is fleshed out, right? And that pretty much everyone who were strong got killed within seconds by the same ant that knocked her out?

@ErenRathe It’s not at all the fact that he has a lot of male characters that I regret (not at all) but the fact that the only strong female character is less emphasized, and has less importance than the others, while the author described it as one of the strongest, it is the one that we have seen less fighting (of course I remove the MC from the race, I compare it to the secondary characters) compared to others where we could at least discover some of their techniques. I thought it was to bring a little mystery then in the end in the only fight we had, it was the only S to have been knocked out in a few seconds, so I was a little disappointed. But of course it is only my purely personal opinion, moreover the story is not finished and it is because I really like strong female characters, I find it refreshing, it is not for all that that I'm going to stop reading and love this series (I didn't want to appear as negative, the language barrier doesn't help)

@Happily_Grim Yes I totally agree with you for the male characters written in the shoujo, in truth it's just double standards, and I find it sad that in the shoujo the man is seen as perfect, as much as I find it sad the fact that women are only there for the emotional side, and the feminine touch like the big breasts (which is not too much the case for this series and I really like this point) in the shonens. But in shoujo, men have a history and are developed (and sometimes even more than the female character who is often described as naive and stupid). But when I talked about history written by men (which is of course a big generality) I did not want to make a comparison between shonen / shoujo, but simply to show the different vision that we have of the other sex which is found in the characters, whether female or male authors (I just quoted male authors because here it has an example )

But I think more than that because I have a different point of view I find it a little silly to think that only men or women will read a certain type of story, as I have the impression that a lot of women read something other than shoujo. And I did not think that for the story to please men it was absolutely necessary that the female characters be nonexistent! (FMA is a shonen written by a woman with consistent male and female characters)

Finally my initial comments wanted above all to designate a personal opinion, because I really like strong female characters, and I find it unfortunate that there is little of it in the shounen / shoujo that's why I said it was the only negative point of the story (for me) but it's not a story of whether women or men should complain it's just me and my preferences that I wanted to share and of course the author does what he wants with his story and I'm not going to stop reading the story just because one of my criteria is not there.
I hope you understand me (English is not my language, sorry if passages were not understandable) and take my comment as another vision of things and not someone who tries to force his opinion on others...
Have a great day/night too

@kazu19 Yes it is true that in this story the MC is particularly highlighted, but I only compare to secondary characters of course!

Because we can see a lot of people put forward despite everything like all the leaders of the guilds and even if Chae is still vice-chief she is not put much forward (especially since she is considered the most strong with Go so I wonder why), well I don't even know what type of fighting style she really has except that it looks like a dance (even if in the book where this webtoon comes from it's a little more detailed) and especially that in all the really strong characters who are going to be introduced like the Chinese chief, the nation-level or even his father, they are only men, then I deduced from it that the only strong female character we were going to see it was Chae, suddenly I was rather disappointed.

Of course this is only my opinion, and this is only my opinion at this point of the history because it is not over and maybe I am seriously wrong

I completely understand what your saying @kisa24 and after reading the webtoon

I remember there was one strong female character towards the end, but she was also not fully exposited, nor did she have a lasting role in the story. Honestly, this Manwha is mostly fan service and does not leave room for much character development aside from Jin-woo, given its narrative direction. It's one of those things you go into without giving much thought and enjoy it. Until I read your comment I had not given the lack of female and ethnic inclusion any attention, so thank you for brightening my horizon and I hope it doesn't affect your experience

Dex-chan lover
@Glomoro I should have worded it better. People should move on from pettiness of their grudges. Discuss things properly instead of trying to egg on the side you have your disagreements or problems with. I know which one you're talking about. The manga is continuing still which is good and I imagine they will edit out the references to the war crimes

@Theblackwater I see ! I think I will follow your advice and enjoy this webtoon without thinking about it too much. And I think it's true that this webtoon is not necessarily the best to worry about the genre as everything is centered on Jin-woo, It was just me who paid much attention to this kind of thing in general :)

I wish the art match the storytelling , or character development. It's like the south park ninja epiosde. He's basically Cartman

Double-page supporter
@Kayriel Hahaha what was political about what I said? I just stated the truth, Japanese hate Koreans and Chinese and vice versa. True the Japanese only speak of it in private mostly, but the other two nations are REALLY open about it...

What just happened to the chapters until 122? Guess they werent the real ones but I was just about to open them and then they disappeared..(?)

Fed-Kun's army
Can't wait for them to talk! I want to see a comedic scene between muscle head Iron and cool headed Igris.

Omgomg i just realized, is the name of the author Bernard Werber ?? (Wer*beru*)???
If so that's amazing, it's my favorite book!! I don't know the english name but in french it's called Les Fourmis (litteraly meaning : the ants) it's such a good story but i didnt know i would find a reference to it in a manhwa lol wow! Excellent naming lol

Users who are viewing this thread