Solo Leveling - Vol. 1 Ch. 40

@reu
Everything is like a game. Its been stated that way since it all began. So going off that logic as lvl 20-30 you find something that is OP as in this case the gloves. You get to lvl 60+ those same gauntlets that was previously OP is now no longer viable in late game content, regardless of ability. Think about it as a video game. If you were in late game content say lvl 100 would you still use something that is lvl 25? Personally no i wouldn't mitigation of dmg is never better then not getting hit. Take hardcore leveling for example. (Webtoon) A rusty dagger at lvl 1 is useless but with the right effects on it it can take down a lvl 100 but only if its used correctly. Gear can always be changed.

@reu If you look at the wording on the gloves, it doesn't say that he's immune to damage, simply that he's immune to hand injuries.

So essentially he was just taking the hit head on with his damage reduction from perseverance, and catching the blade, but he was still hurt.

From what I understand of it, if he were to take say, a 100 damage hit from a knife normally, it would cut him, and do 100 damage. But blocking with his gloves means he'll take 100 damage, but no physical cut would be present.

So we won't be asking why he's not using his invulnerability gloves, because he didn't really have invulnerability gloves to begin with.

reu

Dex-chan lover
@AliceOfThorns
I said that the item was invulnerable, not that it made him immune to damage. To clarify: He can block anything with his gauntlet, if he can't put the gauntlet between himself and the stabby bits the he will still take damage
If what you say is true then there would've been some indication that he took some damage from blocking the blow from the guy that, seconds prior, was absolutely murdering him - the hp bar tanking or his arm breaking. As there has none I can not agree with you

reu

Dex-chan lover
@Bloodoath
"You get to lvl 60+ those same gauntlets that was previously OP is now no longer viable in late game content, regardless of ability"
That exactly what I meant when I wrote "from here the manhwaka(?) can only go down"
If a low tier low level item has impenetrable defence then what godly powers will his late game items possess? What's above OP?
Answer: probably shit writing (hopefully not I was kindof enjoying this one)

reu

Dex-chan lover
@SilverbladeUY
Calling it now, these B tier gloves will save his life when the S tier brother of the team leader he killed comes to take his revenge
I hope I'm wrong, if I'm not then it's another dropped manhwa

@reu it not showing an HP bar is no indication that he "didn't take damage". Take from Chapter 39 for example, when he first gets hit after Ignis removes his weapon, he says "I guarded that hit but it still feels like I took about 500 damage", when he blocks with his arm (specifically right under his wrist, which is definitely in the region covered by his gloves). So there's precedent for him blocking with his gloves and still taking damage (as well as for it NOT updating us on his HP via actually showing the bar, as the ONLY indication his HP went down during Ch39 was that line, and the fact that perseverance triggered)

And his arm WASN'T wrecked BECAUSE of the glove's effect, it prevents hand injuries.

It's most likely that he's simply got too much adrenaline to react to the damage through perseverance + his damage reduction effects, but the gloves themselves simply allowed him to catch the blade without his arm being destroyed by what damage he did take.

What if MC get enough items that give him 100% physical reduction? Then he would only get damaged from the impact of a force.

reu

Dex-chan lover
@AliceOfThorns he clearly wears diferent equipement on his right and left slots - page 16 chapter 38
In chapter 39 he blocks with his right and is clearly injured by an unarmed strike
In chapter 40 he catches a greatsword blow with his left hand and, not only isn't blown away by the stike, he doesnt show any outward signs of damage

"And his arm WASN'T wrecked BECAUSE of the glove's effect, it prevents hand injuries." - Crazy amounts of reaching right here but let me put it in no uncertain terms
right hand - archer set - takes damage and is blown away by a punch
left hand - knight set - catches a greatsword blow without even flinching - all of a sudden its weight is as nothing - his gautlet is a perfect immovable shield

@reu I'll admit I missed the archer glove vs knight glove detail, though I will comment on one part of your response, which was the "takes damage and blown away by a punch", just with the fact that he was actually grabbed and thrown against the wall, the punch itself didn't knock him back in Ch39 pg12-13. So comparing the flinching when tossed into a wall + no chance to gain proper footing to brace for the attack, vs no flinching when catching the attack is a difficult argument.

And I'll admit the different glove would explain why he's visibly marked with a wound on that hand, because you're 100% correct on the different gloves part for that first unarmed strike.

But overall at this point I feel we'll have to agree to disagree. I simply can't see the glove as making him immune to damage when you block with it, but don't feel either of us will really budge from our stances.

Regardless, was a fun discussion, cheers~

looking at the item effect I bet he is going to have 100% physical damage reduction at some point

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@reu
Racial slurs, no matter if you use symbols to replace the letters that spell them, are not tolerated on MD. Take a couple days off from posting and consider how to post constructively in the future.

You can view our rules, especially 5.1, Be Civil, here: https://mangadex.org/rules

@Bloodoath @reu What's with all this talk about item's levels? So far no items have shown any level requirement/restriction, the items only have ranks. It doesn't matter if he obtained a B rank item while he was low level, the item will still be B rank even when he gets to level 100, for example. That also means that even if he gets another B rank item on the future, at a higher level, the item stats will be equivalent to the item he got now, as a low level, because the item's rank will be the same. The items he get on the future will only be stronger than the ones he currently have IF those item's RANKS are higher, his level doesn't matter on this. :eek: ~You guys are overthinking things too much. lol

Users who are viewing this thread