Something I want to say as a Chinese manga reader

N2O

Dex-chan lover
That's neat :meguupog: I think if you're taking this approach to learning then I'd advice against reading translated manga from China and Korea. In general you will find that the translation quality tends to be much higher on Japanese manga. Of course there are exceptions and sometimes you'll find poorly translated Japanese stuff, and there definitely are good translation for Chinese/Korean stuff too, but a lot of the translations are unnatural, mangled and sometimes downright illegible.

Not sure why this is. Could be that there are just less translators for Chinese/Korean, or maybe it's more difficult to translate? I know that in Mandarin for instance they tend to use specific similes and expressions that doesn't really make sense without knowing the cultural context-- I could see that being very difficult to deal with when translating.

Dex-chan lover
Your English can be understood, and that's very great, you should be proud of it. 加油!!! Good taste btw

Since you're asking for some replies, I'll give my opinion on language learning. Translations, and fan translations at that are not exactly something I'd recommend to improve your English. Your English will probably end up a bit weird due to it but if it works it works. Personally I prefer consuming media targeted at kids because it's straight with the dialogue, meaning if the character is talking about a ball, a ball will be on screen. From there, you can understand that a "ball" means the object on the screen even if you didn't know that word already.

*Note you should probably avoid the 中二 mangas, don't want to make regrets by letting those terminology slip in reality someday
ahaha i was wondering what the hell is chungni manga turns out its chunni

Dex-chan lover
Hello neighbor. I live in Vietnam. My life has been a lot about the Chinese culture. I like China a lot (if we disregard all those previous wars). I frequently read manhua, because in Vietnam we have a language system called Sino-Vietnamese that borrows a lot of words and usage from Chinese, therefore cultivation manhuas (manhuas, movies and novels in general) translated in Vietnamese are much easier to understand compared to manhuas in English. And it's funny you say "English is necessary and significant in China" because my father said Chinese tend to not use English because there are so many Chinese scattered throughout the globe that they are bound to meet someone who understands them. His work involves importing goods from China and then performing stuff on them. And he is travelling to China for the fourth time at the end of this month with his business clients. Good luck with your English-learning journey!
+1, its news to me that english is necessary in china. its a prevalent stereotype that chinese people are bad at english.

Users who are viewing this thread