Sora wo Matotte - Ch. 19 - Thoughts on a Moonlit Night

Dex-chan lover
We definitely do appreciate it! Thank you very much for the scanlation as always.

I'm curious now about Gao's true motivations and aspirations as for why she paints (also curious if she had any education, looks like she's completely self-taught), it's clear she had influence from her mom, and she truly appreciates the proccess and result of giving people joy from it, but I'm curious to see what else there is from her backstory, and now where her dad fits into the picture. Also, good of him to find his daughter, the way she was living by herself after running away is actually quite dangerous!

I hope after her arc is complete she either sticks around or visits often, her dynamic with Haro is quite fun (though I do feel it may change significantly soon. Also that she studies a bit more with the old man, I'm super eager to see what kind of works she'll make after developing some solid fundamentals and an interest for more material subjects.

Dex-chan lover
We're so back, thanks for the TL!

its-been3000years-pokemon.gif

Dex-chan lover
We definitely do appreciate it! Thank you very much for the scanlation as always.

I'm curious now about Gao's true motivations and aspirations as for why she paints (also curious if she had any education, looks like she's completely self-taught), it's clear she had influence from her mom, and she truly appreciates the proccess and result of giving people joy from it, but I'm curious to see what else there is from her backstory, and now where her dad fits into the picture. Also, good of him to find his daughter, the way she was living by herself after running away is actually quite dangerous!

I hope after her arc is complete she either sticks around or visits often, her dynamic with Haro is quite fun (though I do feel it may change significantly soon. Also that she studies a bit more with the old man, I'm super eager to see what kind of works she'll make after developing some solid fundamentals and an interest for more material subjects.
I think it is kind of evident based on how she refers to her mom and dad (dad is present and mom is past). I think her mom died in a hospital and since then she has been painting aimlessly because her mom found her art beautiful.
I am sure her motivation is going to be the love towards her parents and trying to make her mom proud wherever she is.

Supporter
Thank you for the TL, kinda sad my issue with this manga continues, MC is shallow, so shallow that we got the POV switched entirely to the wild girl lol, like i wonder if the author has a male MC because yuri wouldn't sell, every women present so far has been a masterpiece on who she is, went through and want she wants. MC is just the guy that drawn those people nude

Actually it's pretty poetic if you think about it, MC is shallow because what matters are the content of the paintings not the painter and that's why the models get so much development until they accept being naked

Thank you for the TL, kinda sad my issue with this manga continues, MC is shallow, so shallow that we got the POV switched entirely to the wild girl lol, like i wonder if the author has a male MC because yuri wouldn't sell, every women present so far has been a masterpiece on who she is, went through and want she wants. MC is just the guy that drawn those people nude

Actually it's pretty poetic if you think about it, MC is shallow because what matters are the content of the paintings not the painter and that's why the models get so much development until they accept being naked
The MC is a flat character, and that isn't necessarily bad. He's already at the peak of his character development, for the most part as he's still learning to be a better artist. The MC knows what he wants and how to get it and with that knowledge he teaches other characters how to improve themselves and achieve their respective goals. That is essentially what flat characters are meant to do.

Aggregator gang
Many Thanks for the new chapter @princess_daphie, it is very good to see this series again.

(I will get around to providing comments on Chapters 14-18, I got waylaid by other matters to post them when the releases first came out.)

It's interesting and neat that Rei Kamio gave Haro the painting she did in Chapter 5 for him to keep. I thought she left it with the Igarashi Family as a gift to Miina and Ichizo.

There's a major grammatical typo on Rei Kamio's second speech bubble on Page 23, I think this may be a typesetting format error, but I think you meant to have Rei say here: "the villa, you can use it as you please." It was really glaring to see the missing and disordered words in that bubble.

Keep up the great work. (y)

Dex-chan lover
Started going on the raws cause the story + art is so enticing. I am really looking forward to the next 2 chapters. Glad we're back atleast!

Dex-chan lover

The protagonist isn't shallow, he knows what he wants so we don't need to learn that about him. He wants to paint the most beautiful nudes the world has ever seen. He's driven to because of a painting he saw when he was a child. His motivation is established, so we don't need to find it. But that doesn't mean he can't grow, and we've seen him grow in skill, insight, and ability to interact and empathize with others.
That groundwork is what allows the manga to function; his quest of self-improvement and artistic expression goes through finding the beauty of the people around him. The reason every woman is so well developed is because only through knowing those things can the protagonist paint a true expression of their beauty.
It's also not fair to just look at the male/female angle here, either. The mentor and rival have clear and strong characterization for who they are, and they play their roles perfectly.
If the manga was entirely about learning the motivations and story of the protagonist, this whole thing couldn't work. He couldn't work as a device to explore people's lives, he'd be hogging the stage and others couldn't take it. By establishing his motivation so solidly so early, the manga is able to move him off to the side and let their characterization of his subjects take center stage.

Dex-chan lover
The protagonist isn't shallow, he knows what he wants so we don't need to learn that about him. He wants to paint the most beautiful nudes the world has ever seen. He's driven to because of a painting he saw when he was a child. His motivation is established, so we don't need to find it. But that doesn't mean he can't grow, and we've seen him grow in skill, insight, and ability to interact and empathize with others.
That groundwork is what allows the manga to function; his quest of self-improvement and artistic expression goes through finding the beauty of the people around him. The reason every woman is so well developed is because only through knowing those things can the protagonist paint a true expression of their beauty.
It's also not fair to just look at the male/female angle here, either. The mentor and rival have clear and strong characterization for who they are, and they play their roles perfectly.
If the manga was entirely about learning the motivations and story of the protagonist, this whole thing couldn't work. He couldn't work as a device to explore people's lives, he'd be hogging the stage and others couldn't take it. By establishing his motivation so solidly so early, the manga is able to move him off to the side and let their characterization of his subjects take center stage.
Thanks you for being able to express why this manga is so good. The people who say the MC is shallow are not actually reading. I was going to make my own rant, but you beat me to it.

Dex-chan lover
Dad looks like the type to end a lot of his sentences with the phrase "or I'll sink you to the bottom of Tokyo bay!"

Users who are viewing this thread