Sora wo Matotte - Vol. 1 Ch. 5 - A pact with the witch

Dex-chan lover
Many Thanks @princess_daphie for the new chapter. There's a typo on Page 9 that got overlooked; the last word bubble: There's too much it doesn't know yet.

I also find it a bit low-key hilarious that Haro is so caught up in the artistic merit of touching Rei's face that he is not acknowledging the fact in-and-of-itself that this is the first girl whose skin he is getting to touch in this manner, something most other guys his age would be going crazy over.

Rei lifting Haro's chin in the first 2-page spread was also very sensual and beautifully rendered as well.

Dex-chan lover
Don't underestimate drawing hands bro.

There's a reason why they are famously one of the biggest walls for new artists.

Dex-chan lover
I genuinely gasped when I saw her painting. Rei gets it. She turned a simple exercise into art with that little drop of blood, enough to spark interest and curiosity. We can't help to be engaged in the view and wonder 'What happened?'

I keep being very impressed by this manga. The art in itself is already stellar, so it should be difficult to make the paintings pop out but they're always striking, making the whole premise land, as we're as mesmerized by them as the protag.

Plot-wise, even if that frames the story nicely and gives him a nice goal to strive for, it's a bit of a shame that they have to part and that her lessons are already over. I hope the training arc for him to be worthy to paint her will be quick!

And thanks Daphie for translating this gem!

Dex-chan lover
Did anyone notice that Rei-sensei actually pricked her finger for the drawing challenge? It's noticeable on page 12.

Supporter
Didn't she cheat? The challenge was to draw a hand, but she drew her fingers.

Dex-chan lover
I used to ask my students "Where's the blood?" trying to get them to see the value in taking risks, forgetting about perfection, and learning to see how interesting mistakes could be.

Rei's painting contained a narrative, but it doesn't feel like it took a ton of risk. Where's the blood? That pin-prick is precious.

Haro's painting has space and uses the page, but it's got no content. A good painting if you have a hand fetish but don't have any hands. He's all sensation- head empty, hand full.
subjectively, her art's kinda shit
All music is shit to God.

Supporter
Their dynamic irks me a lot for some reason. Can't say why though. I wouldn't mind never see her again until the last chapter.
It’s her mollycoddling tone bordering on condescension. It’s clear that she thinks he has potential however but people who behave like that would irritate you usually.

Users who are viewing this thread