Sort-by/Search for number of chapters (in your selected language) :rejected:

Man, I'm sick of searching for new stuff to read only to find something and get:

Notice: There are no chapters in your selected language(s).

Why is that shit even displayed in my search results? Clearly it does not exist in my selected language...

I'm equally sick of finding something interesting to read only to find it has only 1 or 2 chapters, sometimes I don't want to read it unless it has a 100+ chapters. I should be able to search for that, or at least sort my search results by the number of available chapters in my preferred language.

Dex-chan lover
@Rabcor
As per the sticky thread "READ FIRST: Planned and Rejected Features", any feature based upon counting the number of chapters in any language or combination of languages is rejected.

However, at such point as the "Last updated" time respecting your language filter is implemented, you'll at the very least be able to use that to tell if anything at all is available to read.

What? Is there a particular reason why this site rejects features that regard it's baseline usability? Honestly if this is how it is I'll probably just use another site.

To be honest it's the most absurd reply I've ever seen in any feature request for any site or software. A necessary feature for the usability being rejected out of hand? Get real, I'm outta here, the administrators of this site are fucking morons.

Fed-Kun's army
@Rabcor it's technical issues. To make it short, involving too many languages make it hard to be implemented as it will and already made the server crashed in the past.

Huh, if that's the case I apologize for my earlier statement.

So I take it either the servers can't handle it or the database isn't optimized enough for it right? That is quite a serious problem I suppose, there most certainly are ways to implement it right though, outright rejecting it because it's failed once is probably not the right way to go about it. (Wouldn't simple indexing solve the load problem? Index number of chapters per language for each manga up-front, then use the index file to give results when users search or sort? The index file doesn't even need to be updated in realtime, updating once every 30 minutes or so would suffice, and the index file doesn't even need to be generated by the server, a third computer's processing power could be borrowed for it to further reduce the performance impact)

Also although it wouldn't be quite the perfect solution, just being able to sort by total chapter count without accounting for language would be a lot better than nothing. That shouldn't be as expensive right? How about sorting the total chapter count based on number of chapters in the original language? That would be even better.

Fed-Kun's army
@Rabcor There will surely be attempts to bring this problem up, but I think they should wait until the long long waited version of MD comes out. Their hands are as full as they are right now I guess.

It's a shame it isn't open source, I could easily write an implementation of the aforementioned solution(s) for testing if it were. Wouldn't even take 10 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread