Sounan desu ka? - Vol. 6 Ch. 78 - Let's Learn Various Things

Aggregator gang
Rays are part of the shark family and have denticles on their skin that makes them feel like sandpaper. Please ladies, don't put sandpaper on your thighs, ass or junk.

If what I did is somehow inappropriate or disrespectful to the current ind/group who currently handle this series, I do apologize.
1. It happened since I got spare time like before/previous time I released 2 chapter for Aho-girl. And this series has caught my attention.

2. It's been more than 2 weeks since ch 77 released, raws' already there since a couple months ago, so maybe let's help by releasing the last ch. of vol 6 to wrap up the volume.

@imatakavin Don't give too much thought about it. There are always people who appreciate such jobs like what you have done, and who don't care about scans pride and defenders... There's no rule beyond all of this being already illegal in Japan since always, so no one has the right to complain about early scanlations.

Fed-Kun's army
@kleiner

... so no one has the right to complain about early scanlations.

Just because you don't have a problem with getting repeatedly kicked in the nuts doesn't mean no one else is allowed to complain when it happens to them. You are allowed to enjoy rushed, low-quality scanlations. Others are allowed to not.

@rebel16 In a sense, you are entitled to complain about anything. Complain about not having one trillion dollars, about your parents not paying your expenses your whole life, about not having a perfectly translated free scan right in your lap. Just because you are allowed to doesn't mean you should. Or at least the translator working for fun shouldn't give a thought about someone whining while requesting for a thing that's illegal since always and not forced on anyone.

Fed-Kun's army
@kleiner

It turns out that just quietly accepting lower standards results in lowered standards. It's happened with numerous other manga, where someone jumps in with rushed, low-quality scanlations, resulting in the original high-quality (or even just decent-quality) group dropping it (because of course they have limited resources and would rather direct them toward manga no one is working on), and then not infrequently the newbie then also drops it, leaving it to hang without further updates. By insisting that no one should criticize people who do this, you are actively making everything worse for everyone. Hint: That's not an achievement one should be proud of.

There are plenty of series hanging out there with no recent updates, or that haven't been picked up in the first place, for new scanlators to cut their teeth on, places where they would be welcomed because their updates would be the only updates those series have had in a while.

Or even better: So many of the currently-established groups are in need of help. Why not encourage new and aspiring scanlators to join them to help out, and learn the skills of the craft in the process? Many of the teams have stated that they welcome suggestions for new manga to add to their repertoire, so it's likely the newbie would still be able to work on a manga that interests them while also getting tutored, or at least being exposed to direct examples of what quality work looks like.

So yeah, your characterization of people complaining about "not having a perfectly translated free scan right in your lap" is wildly inaccurate. Rather, it's a complaint that resources are being poorly allocated in a way that can cause bigger problems. And following my suggestions here addresses your complaint, too: If new scanlators stopped jumping onto series already being scanlated with rushed, lower-quality entries, no one would be complaining about it. Win for you, win for me, win for the scanlator teams getting more help, win for the new scanlators getting more help. And win for everyone getting to enjoy better-quality scanlations.

@rebel16

All of those arguments are not new to me, I was for a short time a scan translator myself, I know these "challenges" a scan group faces. Yes, low-quality early scan chaps demotivates the "main" group "responsible" for a particular manga. Yes, it's better to join hands than divide resources and double the work. But, there's a lot, A LOT of "buts" in these arguments. Sadly, I'm not fond of written public discussions, lot of time wasted not only trying to convince the other participant, but also trying to reach all readers of the debate, and the general refuse to concede when found himself not entirely right. When talking more personally, in private, those debates flow way better. So, I will give only a couple of counter-arguments and hoping to not elaborate further in future posts, sorry in advance.

First of all: there is no responsible groups. There is no "law" governing the scanlation world. Of course there's a lot of gentleman's agreement and general understanding that the first group to regularly scan a new title is expected to maintain it. But all this work is illegal to begin with. That's a fact no one can refute, period.

That said, there are people who do not care much for perfectly translated and edited scan. There's a lot of people who don't care. A lot. A- LOT. So, there are many happy guys all over the world who appreciate this work, shitty as may be considered by other many fellows. And the fact that anyone can do a "meh" work (since the fact that there 's no rules concerning it) is per se a "valid" motivation, beneficial for both parties directly involved (the early translator and the happy readers).

Other point is that many times the loner simply doesn't want to be bound to a group, or is simply trying to test himself if he can do a good job without having to wait for an OK of a group who maybe won't give a sensible feeedback. Such loners feel much more motivated to enter a group later when his confidence is high. Sometimes they already know the group responsible and didn't like the management. And sometimes they simply want to share the manga ASAP with as many people as possible. There are dozen of motives, and all comes back to his freedom to do so, since there's no rule concerning it.

I could elaborate much more for reasons why a loner may continue to do whatever he/she wants without even talking to the "main" group first, but I'm gonna stop here. I've said to much already and I frankly do not wish to continue the debate this way, productive as it could be for both of us. Sorry again!

I know you are trying to show all of us the "big picture": the scanlation world could be a better place with more cooperation and less competition. But this special world has different people with different needs. And anyone should complain if a group goes after its own interests in detriment of the rest, since there's no rule to somehow prevent it (the whole point of this discussion).

I don't wanna make it worst, I just point out my view.

I do understand that part if someone release a scanlations of a chapter of the series who already has a group to handle that might demotivate them, and the group might has a slight consideration to move on to other series if there is someone else doing the job. But I think, if the group thinks the chapter was in a bad shape, they should've just keep releaseing their own work as part of morale responsibility to the readers for picking up the series in first place. Thoughts to drop the series should be never cross in their mind, unless of extreme reason, like the resource is really tough.

That part of lack of confidence, and not want to be tied to a deadline, or the management are totally me. I can work on a scanlation but cannot spare my time enough or make a commitment like those guys in the group. I know this is a hobby, but in every team work you still need to act professionally, such as meet the deadline.

I share my work purely to make those people who appreciate a non-perfect scanlation work could be happy reading the series, and I challenge myself too for improvement, reading those critics & comments. And since the beginning I already ask an apology so those part of people who couldn't accept a non-perfect scanlation could let it go.

Especially for this series, I stepped in because it's already 2 weeks since the last chapter, and months after ch 76, and I already ask the new scanlator if he's doing the coming up chapter or not, and the answer is no. That's why I release my scanlation.

I hope this will clear the condition here. Thank you. Whether it's A or B, I do believe you guys in the very end just want to protect this world, and that's amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread