Sousou no Frieren - Ch. 129

this feels like The Girl from Random Chat all over again, popular manga translated by small scan group gets shutdown by "official translation", freezing all new ch, only to start from ch.1 with 1 ch/week, essentially killing any fandom

Contributor
Seems sus that they start with the current releases rather then from the beginning.
VIZ has always done that. They begin with the latest releases and later start compiling the earlier chapters.

If you're familiar with how they release, it's not sus.

It looks like Viz have been releasing them digitally as well for a minute. I think Mangadex just decided to add them now

XGTQM8T.png

lmao ok boomer

Dex-chan lover
this feels like The Girl from Random Chat all over again, popular manga translated by small scan group gets shutdown by "official translation", freezing all new ch, only to start from ch.1 with 1 ch/week, essentially killing any fandom
Frieren is waaayyyy too big for this to meaningfully affect the size of the fandom.

It looks like Viz have been releasing them digitally as well for a minute. I think Mangadex just decided to add them now
This is happening for a bunch of different series. Seems that Viz is finally leaning harder on Mangadex?

Dex-chan lover
Frieren is waaayyyy too big for this to meaningfully affect the size of the fandom.

This is happening for a bunch of different series. Seems that Viz is finally leaning harder on Mangadex?
Fandom may be quite large, but if they now return the manga page to the first chapters, it will be similar to having to replay your favorite game in which you have gone incredibly far.

Dex-chan lover
Ah yes, just like how every time I buy a book in my language I have to make sure I get the one licensed for my country.
In order for them to sell in your country... yes. That's how it works. If it's the original publisher, they can publish wherever they want (as long as the country doesn't have authorization laws), but if any company wants to sell their work, they need the rights to do so in every market they sell it in, and that generally costs money (because there's always the option of a different company that focuses on those markets to come in later and license it for that market so publishers will generally not hand out "worldwide" distribution agreements easily).

You can always buy from a foreign retailer and have it shipped to your country assuming the import laws are not super restrictive, but they can't sell it retail within your country without licensing. There's some grey area about reselling (buying from the licensed market, reselling domestic) but that can get fuzzy depending on where you are.

Digital media it's the same deal, but in order to maintain that they are complying with the market restrictions that their contracts state, they need to take "reasonable" measures to ensure that people outside of those markets cannot buy from them... in other words, region locking.

Dex-chan lover
In order for them to sell in your country... yes. That's how it works. If it's the original publisher, they can publish wherever they want (as long as the country doesn't have authorization laws), but if any company wants to sell their work, they need the rights to do so in every market they sell it in, and that generally costs money (because there's always the option of a different company that focuses on those markets to come in later and license it for that market so publishers will generally not hand out "worldwide" distribution agreements easily).

You can always buy from a foreign retailer and have it shipped to your country assuming the import laws are not super restrictive, but they can't sell it retail within your country without licensing. There's some grey area about reselling (buying from the licensed market, reselling domestic) but that can get fuzzy depending on where you are.

Digital media it's the same deal, but in order to maintain that they are complying with the market restrictions that their contracts state, they need to take "reasonable" measures to ensure that people outside of those markets cannot buy from them... in other words, region locking.
Cool why is there a need for a intermediary company when I can literally download a file from any server in the world from any location on the planet? Oh right, because the US has slightly more money per capita so they mark the price up accordingly, but that would be too obvious if you sold it all from the same site.

Digital just makes this financial shell scam even more transparent.

Double-page supporter
Same crap as allways. A manga is translated in mangadex, gets a lot of popularity since is in english. Greedy fucks go "oooh there's money here" BAM .
You got popular for free and got an anime you assholes and now you lock it by region ???

Dex-chan lover
Same crap as allways. A manga is translated in mangadex, gets a lot of popularity since is in english. Greedy fucks go "oooh there's money here" BAM .
You got popular for free and got an anime you assholes and now you lock it by region ???
Uhm, you realize that mango getting popular "for free" means the authors don't get a cent from that, right? Unlike from the licenses that local publishers buy?
I've nothing against piracy, but you're just sounding entitled to the fruits of the others' labour without repaying them in any way.

Double-page supporter
Uhm, you realize that mango getting popular "for free" means the authors don't get a cent from that, right? Unlike from the licenses that local publishers buy?
I've nothing against piracy, but you're just sounding entitled to the fruits of the others' labour without repaying them in any way.
Not entitled to anything dumbass.
I would gladly pay for good content or see it in a site with ads to give to the AUTHOR.
But this is restricted to regions.
And that doesn't remove the fact that all these mangas get a free translation from its original language bringing it to a huge audience ( the publisher doesn't even bother to do that ) and when the see it is good they block it.

Dex-chan lover
I would gladly pay for good content or see it in a site with ads to give to the AUTHOR.
Newsflash: publisher licensing fees make it into the authors' wallets. What a surprise, right?

And that doesn't remove the fact that all these mangas get a free translation from its original language bringing it to a huge audience ( the publisher doesn't even bother to do that ) and when the see it is good they block it.
It is of course absolutely shocking that a publisher would try to block a free pirated translation.
Not entitled at all to demand free stuff that leeches off the authors' efforts, either.

Users who are viewing this thread