Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 11 Ch. 103 - The Time for Punishment

Dex-chan lover
He was respectable fellow in the end. He was actually trying to understand people in his own twisted way but it's an uphill battle to go against one's nature. Yet it is interesting that he lacked the pettiness to hurt his old master and those bystanding civilians in his end as if he learned something even if it wasn't what he was looking for.

He was respectable fellow in the end. He was actually trying to understand people in his own twisted way but it's an uphill battle to go against one's nature. Yet it is interesting that he lacked the pettiness to hurt his old master and those bystanding civilians in his end as if he learned something even if it wasn't what he was looking for.
He is a PETA follower among demon =))

Dex-chan lover
I was hoping this arc would end with Macht finally understanding malice and being forced to take his own life as per the command, but I think this was honestly a better way to wrap it up.
I'm fairly certain the author planted that little idea as bait, so they could surprise even the foreshadowing-savvy people with the result.

Dex-chan lover
I'm struggling whether to acknowledge this arc as my absolute favorite in the series, so far, but it's definitely up there.

I'm fairly certain the author planted that little idea as bait, so they could surprise even the foreshadowing-savvy people with the result.
I don't know that it was a surprise. This is fiction after all, we kind of know the rules of multiple ending possibilities based on the evidence. So even if an end is not the one thinks should happen or will happen, if the author did their work right, we'll still be aware of the other possibilities.

The way I look at it solitar is right, it's convergent evolution in the sense that demons and humans are operating on really different frameworks of biology, morality,and culture but ended up looking similar.

What she's not right about is that means there never can be understanding at some point, since that deems she knows where evolution is going.

But that's a a black blank canvas, no one actually knows how the future will go, much less as individuals in the midst of it, we can't realistically predict the future of our own species. Not without guarantees of powers of influence and control on the world outstripping our own lifespan by magnitudes larger. i.e. I'm talking geological ages, thats the time frame evolution works, which imo outstrips even the lifespans of the elves and the demons in the story.

Afterall soltair doesn't know the killer whales and the shark did have a common ancestor 500 millions years ago. If demons survive humans in the next 1000 or 10000 years, she's not going to know how they'll be. No one does but the author in this case.

Tldr: I think gold man demon did learn something, and from the framework of evolution on eons perspective, coexistence is not impossible, it just depends on whether the demons survive to that point or if humans exterminate them beforehand. Elves though for sure will not be in the picture (fron the MYA standpoint) since they're already dying out. Doesn't mean though we can't enjoy Frieren in between.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
macht was a really interesting character. i didn't necessarily feel sad that he died, but i also didn't have that gleeful "RIP BOZO 😹" sort of feeling i did with aura. it was a very odd and indescribable feeling, but i guess it was for the best. i can't help but feel like he learned something after all. he didn't kill his old buddy, that's got to mean something

Dex-chan lover
One minor thing that bugged me: Why did Glück instantly recognize Denken :thonk:
Otherwise, great end to Macht's story although Glück better keep his promise and follow his bro (after he's ensured political stability of Weise preferably)

Dex-chan lover
You gotta feel a little sorry for matcht. He tried so hard to reach that understanding. The tragedy is in the fact that he still didn’t understand.
Solitar and macht are my two favorite demons- period, macht Is very innocent, he doesn’t understand what he does- solitar on the other hand, is the closest thing to a demon that understands that we’ve seen in the entire series- if there was ever a demon that fits the term evil, it’d probably be solitar, and that of itself is very undemonic, her understanding makes her stand out. Macht on the other hand stands out as the closest thing to a “good” demon, and likewise is quite undemonic in a way, however in the end they both were unable to escape their nature.

Double-page supporter
One minor thing that bugged me: Why did Glück instantly recognize Denken :thonk:
Otherwise, great end to Macht's story although Glück better keep his promise and follow his bro (after he's ensured political stability of Weise preferably)
Since he was aware the he turned to gold, when the curse was lifted, he probably assumed the same thing as Denken did when Frieren freed him. Seeing someone he knows has aged, wouldn't be a surprise.

As for how he recognized Denken, it's probably the reverse as to when we see photos of our grandparents in their teenage years. He also has the benefit of seeing Denken age from a boy to a son-in law to a widower. After seeing those changes, it's probably much easier for him to recognize Denken than Frieren recognizing Himmel.

This chapter questionably confirms that Demons:
1. Understand the concept of friendship to some degree
2. Make friendships with other Demons to some degree
3. Are sad when those friends perish
Unless Solitär's words to Macht on why coexistence is a horrible idea were mistranslated or I'm simply understanding them wrong, this should shed some light on Demon society.
Another interpretation of Solitär's use of the term "friends" could also just be a generalized term for every Demon rather than any one Demon specifically. Same reason as to why she was tasked with killing Macht, because it could lead to more Demon deaths.

Users who are viewing this thread