Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 3 Ch. 20 - Master's Technique

@AgentKuga No it's more like the demon had the technique down to point but lacked the raw power to properly execute it, in short it's someone imitating someone else without putting in the effort to build up muscle.

Dex-chan lover
Imitating attacks is all fine and good but if you lack the physical stats to properly utilize them you're gonna get fucked up as Linie learnt. Also as someone else in the comments stated she could've gone and confirmed her kills but her arrogance, the same as her partner, just meant she disregarded Stark everytime he went down.

this is why you leave your monologues for after the battle is over, disrespecting a foe in combat will land you a quiet place in heaven

Dex-chan lover
I find it extremely satisfying how the demons couldn't keep their usual deadpan face when they were finally struck down.

Dex-chan lover
@Dr_D0G
It’s not like he’s wrong, though. Stark was strong enough to carve a giant crevice into a rock face from repeatedly striking it and could kill a dragon in one hit. Just like how he was stronger than he thought, he was also tougher than he believed he was and could just straight up tank a hit to exchange blows. It’s not like the demon girl had noodle arms, after all, she was surely quite strong too, especially since her magic is meant to copy other warriors’ techniques (meaning she is also a warrior type herself). Just remember that Eisen, the warrior of the hero’s party, said that Stark was much stronger than him, enough to make him shake in fear.

Dex-chan lover
Says I need an opening, then gives her an opening

Dex-chan lover
Awesome, brutal and to the point. I like how the fights aren't dragged out for drama for once, and also highlight the alien nature of the demons.

@cor3zone
Was explained in earlier chapters, the demons only consider Frieren a true threat. The others are mere smallfry in their eyes.
Agreed, it's like in a game where you're high level and revisit a starting area and everything is just trash, even if you can one shot it all it's not even worth the 1xp 1G or whatever to spend even 10 seconds on it. Of course, from a human point of view that doesn't really make sense here, they should have been evaluated as at least a thread, and if demons can grow humans can too. But maybe that sense of disjunction in thinking, that the demons are a bit "off" is itself good because of course they're Not Human, that's the point. And they apparently mostly practice one magic, "perfect it", then just stop. Their mindset is truly alien. Maybe for demons if one demon is stronger then another that's it forever, there is never a time when a weak one will someday beat a strong one, so once you prove your superiority it's logical to just stop.

Just like in nature when predators face off, they almost never "fight to the death" because that's stupid and self-destructive. In fact they rarely fight at all, they roar and puff up and gesture and all that, and usually can determine who is the bigger more powerful one and the other just gives up. Because without modern medicine and treatment like people have even small wounds that get infected can prove fatal. If you already know the likely winner why bother (there are a very few exceptions like mating)? If we think of demons as evolved from predators/monsters it makes for a very interesting cultural take, some of their actions are have a superficial similarity to humans sense both can think but their whole foundation and thus details of thinking/instinct is all different.

@Dr_D0G
No it's more like the demon had the technique down to point but lacked the raw power to properly execute it, in short it's someone imitating someone else without putting in the effort to build up muscle.
Yeah that's how I read it, she imitates the movement and threat feeling perfectly. But she said she mimicked the mana movement, but a warrior is a warrior, their moves may have some magic component but it's heavily about the STR/DEX.

0ps

👌 Love how deadpan both Frieren and Fern are.

Dex-chan lover
It really does seem to just say "bloodery" or "bleedery" or maybe even a noun that could refer to the act of bleeding about a bunch. All three would be homonyms... if they were actual German words.

Fim

For a demon it really makes no sense to beat someone down and then not finish them off.
The only explanation I have is the skill she used, copying someone else. Eisen never attacked someone laying on the ground, so maybe that's why she couldn't.
It's not a perfect explanation, far from it, but I'll still go with that since the only other explanation is overconfidence, and I find that a bit boring.

Dex-chan lover
"Baruterie"/Braruterie sounds a bit like a new synonym for "Pommesbude", but I could be wrong there.

I'm curious about the Japman name of Lügner, for which "Lügner" temporary stands in. Maybe we can help.

Users who are viewing this thread