Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 4 Ch. 29 - The Ideal Adult

This is so good I've begun having expectations (something I try to avoid, due to what seems to be inevitable disappointment.) Yet I'm still pleasantly surprised every time.

Dex-chan lover
@The_Blues_13 There's no need to take Frieren's casual remarks as the absolute truth. She thought her face has all died out, but was surprised when she encountered the elven monk. Chances are she's NOT the last female of her race, and if so, neither is she likely to be the oldest since her mentality and physique appears relatively young, but it really depends on how close the elves are to complete extinction. The unique narrative style of this manga opens much of the world to our interpretation, which means there's really no way to generalize what we've seen so far to the rest of their world.

Double-page supporter
I agree, this is another good chapter. However, I kinda feel like the story´s trademark melancholy character is starting to slip away. Fern and Stark´s blossoming romance will probably be cute, but it will likely be pointless, unless Frieren learns something from it about her own relationship with Himmel. So many new characters, and most of them talk way too much to make the world they live in feel empty.

Double-page supporter
I hope there doesnt come romance in to this, cos there has been none thus far. i also hope Fern and Stark's relationship remains as friends/sibling relationship instead of love. None of the others in Frierens original party had romance either and remained single or adopted kids/disciples, so i just hope this chapter develops Fern and Starks relationship to be more friendly and not romantic, i wouldnt like that at all. Just my 2 cents

@AceTheBase Heimmer clearly had a crush on Frieren though. But sadly after their journey ended Frieren went on a long trip by herself and Heimmer couldn't do anything about his feelings and remained single for the rest of his life. That was the little bit of romance this manga had

Double-page supporter
@Undorian

they are more brother and sister. Hope their relationship stays that way and doesnt turn into romance. Cuz i certainly wouldnt like that, there also no hint of romance in this manga as none of the characters (everyone connected to Frieren, like the party and Flamme) had spouses or children but only adopted kids and trained disciples

Double-page supporter
@aqran3
You are right in regards to that, but unlike "real romance stories" it wasnt made clear he loved her, it could also have just been genuine concern for her as a friend since they did spend a lot of time together. But other than that, none. And really hope Fern and Stark doesnt become a romantic relationship and i didnt get that feeling from this chapter either. They feel more like siblings to me, not only them but the whole party lol

Double-page supporter
@jouyato
I agree with you 100%. Would not like romance in this story at all! Would like Fern and Starks relationship to remain as friends/siblings. And also there has been no romance in this manga thus far and none of the character got in a relationship. Most of them adopted kids or trained disciples

Double-page supporter
This manga is amazing, but the pacing is what really makes it shine.

Dex-chan lover
@AceTheBase uh, are we reading the same manga? It's pretty obvious by now how Himmel felt about Frieren, even going by two data points only: fainting from a blown kiss and his reaction to that kid who lifted her skirt.

Double-page supporter
@danvolodar Go back and read my comment lol. I acknowledged it but said it wasnt made CLEAR as in romance stories, it was done more sublety with him helping her and looking out for her both when they adventured together but also after he died. But i agree with you that he had a crush on her, he was just good at holding his feelings in and not pursuing anything since they were on an important mission lol

Fed-Kun's army
Superb story telling as usual which is the quality that hard to find in mainstream manga.

Supporter
This was a great chapter on emotional development - I'm loving Sein's addition to the dynamic as well, and the translation felt really smooth and natural for a subject with a lot of emotional shading, great work.

Also we had a squabble and it handled in a chapter instead over a volume and didn't feel rushed, and I really appreciate that.

Users who are viewing this thread