Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 4 Ch. 37 - First Class Exam

Dex-chan lover
@kinosseur for Japanese this way of naming is common but on the other hand having meaning to names is a method used as introduction in literary works just describe them with their names instead of giving a lot of pages for their introduction kind of thing.

@BasilD even she said she wasn't skillful or fast, and all she has going for her is her amount of mana (which she limits) and her versatility, that is like you said, mostly utilitarian spells like de-rusting teapots and shit.

Double-page supporter
@ Kampfarsch

I agree, but at the same time I think it's funny how you post this while naming yourself "Kampfarsch". No offense though 😂

Dex-chan lover
@RolandMayfield @tremor3258 @Fredthefishlord
Yeah, being a mage in this setting seems to be a fairly rarified task. It takes not just inborn talent but a ton of effort, finding good teachers, gaining experience without dying in the process, and then tons and tons of constant work. And there doesn't seem to be any magic dungeon stuff where people can just go find tons of treasure, which means going to all the work of being a top class combat mage doesn't necessarily mean rolling in riches presumably. In times of trouble the government may pay them well, but not in times of peace. Might be different if society advanced to some sort of magic-industrial level.

But yeah will be fun to see where this goes.

Dex-chan lover
Also as far as people not remembering Frieren, or her getting beaten, have to remember that we learned during the flashbacks that her entire modus operandi was to keep a low profile and make no mark on history until defeating the Demon King. She is completely focused on beating demons and deceiving them about her strength is a core part of that, not trying to gain temporary fame/fortune amongst humans. It's better if nobody except her trusted companions have any idea about what she can truly do.

I'm German myelf and I do have to admit those German names look a bit out of place. But I actually like it. As I fully understand them, I immediately can associate some context to each of these names.
Having that said, all of the names are actually suitable.
I was actually laughing when I read the name Genau (Precise/Accurate). You immediatly know this proctor is properly suited for his job 😀

Also Übel and her omnipresent (and somewhat creepy) smirking is a very promising character. I'm really looking forward to her.

@SirBecks
Here are some more:
Äußerst - extremely, but in this case (the town) most external make more sense
Granat - garnet
Strahl - radiancy, beam, ray

Group Leader
in every manga there's an exam arc and i always look forward to those the most

Fed-Kun's army
I get the feeling Frieren is going to be all "I have fifty kinds of magic to grow flowers" and everyone's going to think she's useless because they know one combat magic they're think makes them hot shit or something.

Users who are viewing this thread