Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 5 Ch. 42 - Reason for Fighting

@ikevinz77

That gif of Fern eating a borgar is just the thing that I need. Many thanks.

Still, this is one hell a dumbass way to test someone’s skills.

Power Uploader
Well, I must say the battles and the tournament are not strong points of this manga. Every single character is so deadpan you hardly feel the tension even though these are supposed to life and death situations. I'd rather it goes back the melancholic road journey this series is good at.

Double-page supporter
Can't wait for the frieren's party show down. I feel like they would lose though, purely because she surrenders after her two team members are unable to go on, but we'll see.

hehe love those last pages of flamme teaching frieren how to show her womanly charms and I bet fern was low key awake way before stark woke up.

I love her little suitcase. I half expect to see a Pan American World Airways tag attached to it, one of these chapters. Fern would ask what does it say and she would respond, I have no idea.

@reen112 the girl he loved clearly had parents with her at the time and he said they were originally from his home. Not frieren. Fern, maybe

Dex-chan lover
@Escheron
Its not Fern either, unless Fern is supposed to be like 30+ years old, Wirbel is talking an event that happened 29 years ago. I forgot how old Fern actually is right now either around 18 or 19 or 20.

Fed-Kun's army
Imo its not just luck, the stilles are mana-sensitive, and more so than other birds has a heightened flight instinct when met with hostile/killing aura. I dont think it's purely luck that the stille appeared before wirbel and co after they were done in and calmed down. It probably felt safe enough to not flee the area after sensing those three.

Dex-chan lover
it's not so much the format or the battles for me, but I think this arc is definitely highlighting a deficiency in either the original script, or the translation. Despite some attempts to add some flavor, everyone speaks with the same "voice". It's all extremely matter-of-fact, which is fine when it's just a few characters wandering around and reminiscing about the past, but falls flat when you introduce a half-dozen new characters and they all speak in the same tone.

even Wribel, who I think is *supposed* to sound like a punk, falls into the same mold. "You out of mana? lame." comes back-to-back with lines like "I'm sure it was a match you could've won" and "Why must I do something like this..." I won't claim to be a professional translator, but alternate takes like "I know you coulda won that one" and "Man, why do I always gotta..." respectively would go a long way towards making his speech feel different.

Of course, it's possible it was all so flat in the original text as well. Again, I'm no pro myself and I'm sure Kirei Cake is doing their best. But I'm looking forward to the official translation later this year, to see if they handle it any differently.

Dex-chan lover
@pdonk Right-on! I liked it at the beginning as it was different from the things you hear from anime and manga characters for the 102394th time, but now all characters seem the same and speak in the same tone.

Aggregator gang
@pdonk
i definitely think its just kireicake over complicating their translations. Like "she ceased to be", should have been "i killed her", but KC try to sound "smart with their translations. But then again, Kirei have said that Frieren is a diffucult series to translate

@pdonk

It's a whole bunch of mages fighting... and you think they'll sound like a bunch of punks?

Go read some shounen jump stuff bruh. Real mages talks like bored mofos.

Users who are viewing this thread