Souzai Saishuka no Isekai Ryokouki - Ch. 50

Dex-chan lover
I can't understand why translators use word king when it is female or unknown gender? Why not just 'monarch'? A gender neutral word.
Maybe it was spelled out as king in katakana? That would've implied a deliberate choice of the word "King" on author's part.

Dex-chan lover
I can't understand why translators use word king when it is female or unknown gender? Why not just 'monarch'? A gender neutral word.
It could be in reference to cultures in which the ruler is always called King, irregardless of the ruler's sex.

Dex-chan lover
From the MC's expression, I think it's the word king in Japanese. According to the logic Mom <=> King = weird. Though some female rulers proclaimed themselves as King and emphasizing the musculine side, generally they'd still use queen or empress as you understood.

Dex-chan lover
So it is one of those societies where they demean the female gendered title as less than the male gendered title, leading to misgendering someone just because the woman baring the title has a higher position of power than their gender would be permitted otherwise. Not a comfortable stance to have with regards to titles and their relation to gendered terms.
No, it was that both of those were elected officials and no one had even bothered to run for Queen in over a thousand years.

From the MC's expression, I think it's the word king in Japanese. According to the logic Mom <=> King = weird. Though some female rulers proclaimed themselves as King and emphasizing the musculine side, generally they'd still use queen or empress as you understood.
It was 国王(kokuou) which is king but can be also be a gender neutral word for monarch afaik.
I'm guessing it was translated as king because they didn't use 女王(jouou) which specifically means queen.

Dex-chan lover
Its either they have problem with inbreeding or they need someone to manage the flow of mana (like dragon vein/leylines) or they need a sacrifice.

There's also a probability that a minor god resides there and it needs high elfs as a host to continue their work of purifying mana or something.

Dex-chan lover
"Meet my Mother, the King of the Elves." Shouldn't that be "Queen," since "King" is referring to the male counterpart, which would change "Mother" to "Father."
Seems like either the translator is throwing genders around or elves in this manga are piccolos.

Users who are viewing this thread