Spider-Man: Fake Red - Vol. 1 Ch. 14 - Skyscraper

Dex-chan lover
@codydub03 He didn't even know her long enough, it's not like it was a lifelong crush. He realised he had no chance and so he got over it. That's what happens normally.
@Ghostdevil same as above

Fed-Kun's army
@Darklight99 I'm confused? Lol, all I was getting at was the fact on how they portrayed him as being a "loner" type and the affection he had for her didn't stop, it just shifted to a different form. A heart break led to having a literal best-friend.

Dex-chan lover
@Darklight99
Its because it was narratively important. His crush was a big fraction of his character arc, it didn't resolve well at all honestly. Realistically yes your most likely right, but in a narrative its just a crash and burn since it didn't really lead much of anywhere. The loss of his crush really wasn't going anywhere, it skipped to the end of an entire character arc instead of going through it. Thats the big problem.

Dex-chan lover
@Ghostdevil I disagree, Yuu getting a true companion over a girlfriend is better for him and the story. It wasn't too major a plot point. As much as it was Yuu getting someone close to him to begin with, and him getting over and not getting too sad about him gave him nice characterisation.

Dex-chan lover
The series actually got canned for no one buying it. Now I feel bad. A shame too since I really liked the shounen style take on the spiderman mithos. Although marvel already does kinda have a definitive younger Spiderman who adds more diversity and is loved by fans. I still feel bad though because this had such potential and partly because of book sales it flopped.

Dex-chan lover
@micahtalyor
Ya I was liking this sorta world and the changes. A real shame. I liked the new dynamics it was presenting with someone taking up the mantle not only in collage life but as his secret identity was revealed.

But something like this is just hard to sell because most comic readers won’t read manga and most manga readers won’t read comics (partly because of a generational OR geographical barrier).

Aw man, just when i start loving this manga... Hope yu become another spidey in spiderverse. Maybe he's not smart but i saw Deku in his mind even tho he's afraid...

Dex-chan lover
This is a nice send off to an axed work. It leaves you wanting more but also gave a nice closure to the entire story. Hopefully, with the growing popularity among western audiences the author would pick this up again.

I only have one complaint. As always with Marvel or DC, it always comes back to the status quo. By that I mean, where's the venom suit? Peter was able to control it and it wasn't affecting his emotions like the normal Venom in the comics. Why'd he ditch it and go back to the red suit? Kinda sucks.

If it does get picked up again by the author (I'm praying real hard for this to happen, and I'm an atheist!), hopefully Yu can clear up the misunderstanding by the public and declare that he was standing in for the real Spidey who was out of commission (say he was sick or something). He may not have powers, but hopefully he can continue being a hero. He could be trained by the other non-superpowered heroes like Daredevil. He definitely has the will to learn and pull it off.

Another hope of mine if this get picked up again is Spidey being with Silk. Because as always, MJ is a bitch. I've always preferred the other love interests of Spidey over MJ. The comics being obsessed with bringing back the status quo is killing me on that front. Whatever happened to major events having a permanent effect on the story's continuity? Gwen Stacy died but she wasn't brought back as 616 Spidey's main love interest again. It always goes back to MJ whether she dies or cucks Spidey.

Dex-chan lover
While its unfortunate that it doesn't look like this is ever going to get a continuation, I'm not going to miss the gigantic end pages. I'm all for reminding us to support the creators, crediting the translators, et cetera, but that doesn't involve triple-digit font sizes. If you make gigantic end pages, your mom's a ho.
I only have one complaint. As always with Marvel or DC, it always comes back to the status quo.
To quote Baron_Bleeke: "Peter Parker grows a few extra limbs, suffers for awhile, then they go away. He announces his identity to the world, then Mephisto makes everyone forget. He swaps bodies with Doc Ock, then swaps back, all is well. It's supposed to be a character arc, not a complete circle!"

Dex-chan lover
This is a nice send off to an axed work. It leaves you wanting more but also gave a nice closure to the entire story. Hopefully, with the growing popularity among western audiences the author would pick this up again.

Still no sign of the mangaka resuming Fake Red; since he is currently working on a manga adaptation of The Mandalorian TV series.
https://www.viz.com/read/manga/star-wars-the-mandalorian-the-manga-volume-1/product/7567

However, Marvel Comics will be serialising the runner-up entry to Spiderman Fake Red, titled Kid Venom (they were submitted to the same manga contest).
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wEOeX7R8ge8/ZZVnw-V2TCI/AAAAAAAEV74/4r7KO9pKt285JZ92O4NMB-NuZwBWsObcQCNcBGAsYHQ/h0/Kid+Venom+-+Origins+001+%282024%29+%28Digital%29+%28Walkabout-Empire%29-023.jpg
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ThzIpc-_Emw/ZZVnxK40FDI/AAAAAAAEV78/M0BsFfzK88wsLXVx1VO4nKq8DKW7p6IRACNcBGAsYHQ/h0/Kid+Venom+-+Origins+001+%282024%29+%28Digital%29+%28Walkabout-Empire%29-024.jpg

Marvel's editor in chief went as far as to commission its mangaka, Taigami, to do the story and art for them (the Americans are doing the translating, colouring and publishing).
https://twitter.com/sushi_dbc

That said, the serialisation will only be a 4-issue miniseries directly targeting Western/US comic readers (Marvel chose to bypass Japanese publication this time).
https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/kid-venom-1-taigami-new-cover

The mangaka's premise is the Symbiote meets Japanese folklore - what if Heian-era Sakata Kintoki/Kintarou was a Symbiote user?
https://comicbookclublive.com/2024/01/01/marvel-preview-kid-venom-origins-1/

Users who are viewing this thread