Spider-Man: Octopus-Girl - Ch. 18 - Obstructor

Fed-Kun's army
OOOOOOOOOOOOO
BSkxYQw.png

Dex-chan lover
I like the explanation of why Dr. Octavius stands like that in fights in the comics.

Dex-chan lover
LET'S FUCKING GO

KICK HER ASS OTOHA

... Man, how does a Spide-Man manga that doesn't even feature Spider-Man entertain me this much?

I always wondered this; what is it about Japanese-mangaka takes on US comic characters that readers find more appealing, compared to the content written by domestic US comic writers?

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I always wondered this; what is it about Japanese-mangaka takes on US comic characters that readers find more appealing, compared to the content written by domestic US comic writers?
In my opinion, it's that modern US comic writers seem to be running out of ideas, all I hear about them is just them using the same character and maybe trying to add some new quirky thing to them without much else. You can only write the same story with the same character(s) so much. Plus, modern comics think they can make the story of a pre-established character more grim and dark and it suddenly makes it cool and adult. It doesn't.
Here, it doesn't try to change a character forcibly or suddenly, it's still Doc Ock. He's arrogant and hyperfixated on his genius and destroying Spiderman. It doesn't try to make some huge change to the universe like killing a hero, or a symbiote breaking out. It doesn't force a political message down our throat but still sends us an important message. It gives us humor that we can actually laugh at and doesn't take the story so seriously that it can't crack an obvious joke, yet doesn't take itself as a full on joke to the point it's a huge action comedy. And the biggest thing I think is it gives us new stuff to think and care about. New characters to fall in love with (and they're not just rewrites of a character or a remade version of a character) and a new story done well. But listen, this is just my opinion from what I've heard on forums and chatgroups and from the few comics I've actually gotten my hands on to read.

TL;DR: imo modern comics are dry and won't introduce anything interesting to their audiences

Users who are viewing this thread