Spoiler Tags :rejected:

Dex-chan lover
Tags like "gore, sexual violence, etc." can contain heavy spoilers or tonal shifts, and it always bugged me on how these could ruin the fun of finding manga out for the first time

Obviously if you choose to backlist tags, the manga still won't appear, but having an option to hide spoiler tags that could reveal plot elements unless you specifically search for them could be nice.

The idea being, you won't see them unless you select "reveal all" under a manga or in your preferences, for example.

Contributor
sounds like a pain to make and maintain + more reports for mods...
+1

Dex-chan lover
Imagine the headaches once users who forgot they selected [HIDE SPOILERS] complain (even more than usual) about being misled by the (missing from their perspective) tags,
only for the staff to remind them (repeatedly) that there's a toggle and that they shouldn't use it if they lack the minimum two necessary braincells to rub together.

And if you think I'm not giving average MangaDex users enough credit, just ask the staff about how many times they've had to remind users about H-toggle and left/right page toggling.

+1​

Dex-chan lover
The point of those tags is to warn people about potentially triggering contents. If anything I want them larger and bolder in the series' page rather than being hidden (even with some kind of option to automatically reveal it)
-∞

Dex-chan lover
@Yatsuki
The point of those tags is to warn people about potentially triggering contents.

I couldn’t make a better case if I tried

+ ∞​

All joking aside, I deliberately mentioned that you could still blacklist those tags and still reveal them. It’s your own damn fault at that point if you see something that triggers you

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
imio, the average manga fan can't be bothered to do all of this stuff and it would end up being confusing.

Dex-chan lover
@Tamerlane
I stand my point that trigger warnings should always be visible and easily viewed.

Sure, your suggestion might help people who don't mind/don't want to see triggering tags to be more convenient, but how many people are actually bothered by those tags (like you) because they don't want to know those events are in a series? And how many people do you think can't be bothered or heck, don't even look at the tags? What percentage of MD userbase, based on this thread alone, do you think support your idea and want it implemented?

Says mods do go out of their way (which they have certainly done a lot of time) to make your requested feature, how many people do you think would actually go and set "View trigger warnings" to Off?

I think you should gather more supporters and make a poll or something, probably will make your point more clear. Personally I see this making things unnecessary complicated. But who knows, maybe mods will agree with you, after all it does improve a part of user experience.

Dex-chan lover
@Yatsuki

Pretty sure those tags don't exist because of "trigger warnings" specifically. In fact, I would avoid trigger warnings entirely because I think that they're juvenile and removes the agency or personally responsibility from people. Plus it's politically loaded, which means that only one group of people generally care.

And again, if it bothers them so much, they can just black list the tag so it doesn't show up, which is already possible, or just click a button to reveal the spoilers. It would be like the spoilers in the comments.

You talk about what percentage of Mangadex's userbase don't look at the tags, but the more pressing issue is what percentage of mangadex's userbase would give a shit about trigger warnings? I'd gather the former is much larger because whenever you click on a manga, you will always see the tags, but the other only appeals to a specific niche of people.

How I would frame it:
In preferences, you can set it so you don't SEE spoilers tags UNLESS you click a button on the manga which reveals the spoilers. Backlisted tags still won't appear in searches.

It's like how the spoiler tag operates in the comments, but for specific tags that will be revealed if they are spoiler to the plot or a plot twist.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Tags should be indicative of the work as a whole. Their entire point is to describe central tonal and plot elements.

Block the elements with adblock or whatever if you don't want to see them.

Users who are viewing this thread