Star ratings

Dex-chan lover
What's with the star ratings on manga? It's never anywhere near close to an average of what everyone rate it, what you'd assume it'd be. Baka updates has a weird way of weighing their average but I have seen examples here that would be impossible to generate even with that (a series having nothing but 1 star ratings archiving a 7.9 overall).
To add to that the lowest score I've ever seen something get here is a 6.5 and the highest a 9.3, this squashes everything down into a 2.8 star range instead of the advertised 10 star range and that's misleading at best. I get not using the top end of the scale because nothing is perfect but why are you manipulating the statistics to avoid giving anything a "fine" or less rating?

Solution
There are less than 20 "below average" manga on the entire site. Doesn't that seem oxymoronical to you?
Maybe, but that's not something we can do anything about. Go and try to convince ~4 million people to rate things 5 when they find it average, instead of the 8 they do. 🤷‍♂️

Also in general no it's not contradictory like you think if you give it more than 2 seconds of thought.
For the reasons people have mentioned to you above and which you ignored:
1. People don't read a random selection of manga, they read things that they think they will like from the get go
2. So on average they like what they read more than what they would find by selecting things truly randomly
3. Plenty of us won't give a 0 to a title if we try it...
Contributor
I told them way back in the day to just have ratings of 1-2, maybe 1-3 but I was overruled! smh :aquadrink:
To be honest, that'd be better when talking about manga or otaku things in general, just "yes", "no", "maybe". If I were to rate things seriously, I'd not rate them at all, but I use my biased natural 10 to counter-rate natural 1s.

Users who are viewing this thread