Starting Today, We’re Childhood Friends - Vol. 10 Ch. 91 - Childhood Friend and Chocolate

Supporter
endgame-avengers.gif

Contributor
Ugh untranslation. “obligation choco”! “obligation choco”! “obligation choco”!
What is giri chocolate
Beyond the emersiveness and simple abdication, other people being confused is another reason why I hate untranslation, translation note in the previous chapter or not. Some people won't have seen it or will have forgotten. Having things be maximally reasonably in English is always the best option. To answer your question, 義理チョコ [giri choco] is ‘obligation choco’. It's choco given out of obligation rather than romantic feelings. It sits opposed to 本命チョコ [honmei choco], which is given to the person you like/love. Translating that term is harder, tho, as explained below.
"Obligation" chocolate. Basically, chocolate that you give to classmates, friends, coworkers, etc.

The opposite is "honmei" chocolate, which means "love" chocolate. The one you give to the person you like.
Translating “honmei” as simply “love” is not quite right. It means “favorite” or “first choice”, which in a romantic context of course does mean ‘love’, but you're changing the meaning if you just go straight to “love”. It's not 愛チョコ. Unfortunately, “favorite choco” is simply too misunderstandable in English, so I think the slightly strange “first-choice choco” is probably the best translation.* It's certainly better than the standard (& wrong) “true feelings chocolate” you'll see all over, including on Wikipedia. Where does the ‘feelings’ part even come from? I don't know. If anyone thinks they have a better translation, tho, let me know.

*I think there may be an issue with this translation when it comes to polyamory, but I'm not familiar enough with Japanese culture. I don't know how that's handled. And anyway, it's not relevant to this (or most other) series (that I read at least), so not a major concern I think. But if someone knows something I don't, I'd love to be educated.
[義理チョコ] sits opposed to 本命チョコ
I say that, and it is true—those are the 2 main types of Japanese Valentines' Day chocolate—but there are others. From my understanding, the 3rd-most common choco type is 友チョコ [tomo choco]: ‘friend choco’. Rather self-evidently, it's given to friends. Not out of obligation or romance, just friendship.
There's also 逆チョコ [gyaku choco]: ‘reverse choco’. In Japan, unlike America, on Valentines' Day it's standard for only females to give out chocolate, to males—or to other females; we're living in the 21st century after all. If a male gives chocolate to a female, then that's reverse choco. I wonder if a male giving chocolate to another male would still be seen as reverse choco. I don't know.
I'm sure there are other types as well.
Did we get handholding yet or are we waiting for it as the climax/finale?
Handholding happened a while ago. Edit: Chapter 30.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
Ugh untranslation. Obligation choco! Obligation choco! Obligation choco!

Beyond the emersiveness, people being confused is another reason why I hate untranslation, translation note in the previous chapter or not. Some people won't have seen it or will have forgotten. Having things be maximally reasonably in English is always the best option. To answer your question, 義理チョコ [giri choco] is ‘obligation choco’. It's choco given out of obligation rather than romantic feelings. It sits opposed to 本命チョコ [honmei choco], which is given to the person you like/love. Translating that term is harder, tho, as explained below.

Translating “honmei” as simply “love” is not quite right. It means “favorite” or “first choice”, which in a romantic context of course does mean ‘love’, but you're changing the meaning if you just go straight to “love”. It's not 愛チョコ. Unfortunately, “favorite choco” is simply too misunderstandable in English, so I think the slightly strange “first-choice choco” is probably the best translation.* It's certainly better than the standard (& wrong) “true feelings chocolate” you'll see all over, including on Wikipedia. Where does the ‘feelings’ part even come from? I don't know. If anyone thinks they have a better translation, tho, let me know.

*I think there may be an issue with this translation when it comes to polyamory, but I'm not familiar enough with Japanese culture. I don't know how that's handled. And anyway, it's not relevant to this (or most other) series (that I read at least), so not a major concern I think. But if someone knows something I don't, I'd love to be educated.

I say that, and it is true—those are the 2 main types of Japanese Valentines' Day chocolate—but there are others. From my understanding, the 3rd-most common choco type is 友チョコ [tomo choco]: ‘friend choco’. Rather self-evidently, it's given to friends. Not out of obligation or romance, just friendship.
There's also 逆チョコ [gyaku choco]: ‘reverse choco’. In Japan, unlike America, on Valentines' Day it's standard for only females to give out chocolate, to males—or to other females; we're living in the 21st century after all. If a male gives chocolate to a female, then that's reverse choco. I wonder if a male giving chocolate to another male would still be seen as reverse choco. I don't know.
I'm sure there are other types as well.

Handholding happened a while ago. Edit: Chapter 30.
The person I replied to probably just wanted an easy to understand answer. Also, I do not speak japanese, I just tried to roughly explain the meaning of both types of chocolate.

Also, holy essay, brother...

Double-page supporter
Nope, I don't believe it. I'm wise to this comic's tricks. She's going to have some kind of mental gymnastics about how it's special childhood friend chocolate or something and therefore not obligatory, without mentioning romance at all.

Dex-chan lover
She's such a master baiter, just say you like him already. It's not like nobody knows it.:meguuusad:

Users who are viewing this thread