Story of a "Jobless" Champion and a Princess Who Together Find Their Happiness - Vol. 2 Ch. 12

Dex-chan lover
That was melodramatic. The whole setting is so strange. I have forgotten many details, no doubt, but it seems so strange the gladiator life was everything for the MC despite receiving nothing but jeering and bad attitude there. He obviously wants to be a fighter, so why didn't he just leave the country and travel to a place where actual skills matter? That particular country seems to be so peaceful that nobody needs any fighting skills outside of pre-arranged bouts and matches. Since those are a form of entertainment and sports, obviously they are going to have all kinds of rules and extra strings attached. Just like in our world sports dictate no doping, equipment properties are monitored, and so on.

Now he is basically in the worst place imaginable because he's surrounded day in, day out by the very people that designed and maintain the environment that make him feel so unwelcome. Of course after hearing the princess's true aim, the dude is now a rebel guilty of high treason, so there should be a whole lot of meaningfulness in his life. One way or another.

Dex-chan lover
"I'm sure he's plotting against all of us..."
I think you're projecting here.

Playing some 4D chess there.

Grabbing a dagger like that won't hurt that much, unless his hand was sliced. If the blade doesn't move across the skin, it's just pressure, and that's not how blades cut. There might be some superficial bleeding, but nothing serious.

How can she fail to see why he'd still be devoted after seeing through her? He's been judged so much himself for such things that he wouldn't do the same against someone else, especially someone he respects.

Well, the answer to that is kind of obvious. She has trust issues.

So what's up with best maid?

The maid is the best part of this series.
Absolutely. Without her, it'd be your average bland job-based fantasy.

I don't know if I can read the series if the Korona actually leaves.
It would be weird if she did. A character like that doesn't just take her exit from the story that casually. She's giving me Diina vibes, from that Last Boss manga.

The whole setting is so strange.
I find most of this type of setting weird. There's some job or skill system that's dictating how everyone thinks and acts, but it often breaks down if you think about it. It's like the author thinks of a cool idea, but doesn't consider what that would actually do to people and the world. And in particular, how other characters would actually treat the MC who's obviously got some weird and OP powers.

Now he is basically in the worst place imaginable because he's surrounded day in, day out by the very people that designed and maintain the environment that make him feel so unwelcome.
He's got someone who believes in him. That's about it. It's enough for some people to live on. But he really does seem like he's funneled into the story with little concern for realistic options.

Dex-chan lover
I replaced every instance of the word "guest" with husband and this chapter became 169% better. :pacman:
du9eYoJ.png

:lul:

And then he proceeded to propose to her in the balcony. What a chad, dang.
What a chad, dang.

:chad:
Oh1xrNq.png

Princess: Become my husband, so you'd be the King instead.
That's why she's going to bring him to the same level, so people won't be complaining when she announces that.

As for Korona:
  • Princess just doesn't want her to keep doing stuff in the morning with him. Using the "maid" card.
  • Her job as a "maid" will be terminated and changed into someone who'll train Fuuta to become worthy as king.
  • Or maybe she'll be promoted to Fuuta's mistress/harem member.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Maybe I've forgotten stuff, but why bother "freeing people from the concept of profession"? Profession seemed to be an advantage freely given at some point your life, it's profitable and smart to just use it. When life gives you lemon, make lemonade, right? The bad thing that comes out of it is those without profession and how there's stigma against it. MC proved that you can get much better even without profession in that world, so he's like proof for people to explore beyond what profession gives you, or lack thereof.

Dex-chan lover
So, making a psychological profile of the MC here...

As far as I understood, since he lacks the "profession" system the others have and seem to use to guide their life, he was thrown aside by everyone and had been unable to develop self-worth. So he kinda hyperfocused on being the best at whatever he was hired to do... but since his "job" was a gladiator, not a fighter, he tried his best to be an entertaining fighter but was too good so things were too predictable. So he agreed to take a dive, hoping it would mean people would have more fun, which was supposed to be his job.

Thing is, his old boss only wanted the money and fame so threw him under the bus, and the other gladiators there actually wanted the fight to be the strongest, so they are now pissed at him for taking that dive andfeel betrayed, not even bothering to think about the why or even entertaining the thought that the fights did not mean the same to him as they did for them.
Which is ironic, because only now that he was kicked out he is able to enjoy them like they do.

Anyways, as he had no self-worth outside the job, which he now lost, he then got into a massive depression... until the princess that everyone both fears and wishes to manipulate because she has an OP "profession" gives him a job.
People think the job is to be her knight, a very influential position, and want to kick him out and put someone they can use to manipulate her in his place. For this, they think the fact he once rigged a match as their way in.

But the way they did it... kinda implies they did not even look at what the rig was. They act as if that made his achievements worthless, as if he had paid to win all this time, instead of losing the one and only time.

Anyway, seems like this was all part of the princess' plans, and she manipulated everything so the two of them would have more freedom...

Ok, now please could anyone explain to me what happened this chapter?

I can understand that the princess manipulated everyone. I can understand how and why she wants to rid the kingdom of the importance of "professions".

But not the main argument there. Why did the princess act like she was just found out to... having killed his family or something?
I can understand that she is a bit paranoid about being manipulated or betrayed, but what did he figure out that would make her give that response?

That was melodramatic. The whole setting is so strange. I have forgotten many details, no doubt, but it seems so strange the gladiator life was everything for the MC despite receiving nothing but jeering and bad attitude there. He obviously wants to be a fighter, so why didn't he just leave the country and travel to a place where actual skills matter? That particular country seems to be so peaceful that nobody needs any fighting skills outside of pre-arranged bouts and matches. Since those are a form of entertainment and sports, obviously they are going to have all kinds of rules and extra strings attached. Just like in our world sports dictate no doping, equipment properties are monitored, and so on.

Now he is basically in the worst place imaginable because he's surrounded day in, day out by the very people that designed and maintain the environment that make him feel so unwelcome. Of course after hearing the princess's true aim, the dude is now a rebel guilty of high treason, so there should be a whole lot of meaningfulness in his life. One way or another.
If I understood him right, he is kinda mentally ill at this point.

He was born into that system and, unlike the princess, his anomaly gives him no extra importance. So he has no self-worth outside any job that someone would give him. Being kicked out of his only job for who knows how long, he was too depressed to even consider that other places could not put as much credence on professions, or that he would be accepted in any of them if he did.

I find most of this type of setting weird. There's some job or skill system that's dictating how everyone thinks and acts, but it often breaks down if you think about it. It's like the author thinks of a cool idea, but doesn't consider what that would actually do to people and the world. And in particular, how other characters would actually treat the MC who's obviously got some weird and OP powers.
There is that story about the guy whose natural job is a guide to the hero so he was just born high-level, so when the party surpassed him with his training he just left to be an apotecary.
Then we find out that the Hero job is kinda a crapsack, slowly turning the person into an automaton whose only purpose is to defeat demons, and that the only way to go against your job is a drug that needs to be taken frequently and is kinda poisonous, especially if you take too much and your new job surpasses your old one, but the Hero just wants to be a normal person.

Maybe I've forgotten stuff, but why bother "freeing people from the concept of profession"? Profession seemed to be an advantage freely given at some point your life, it's profitable and smart to just use it. When life gives you lemon, make lemonade, right? The bad thing that comes out of it is those without profession and how there's stigma against it. MC proved that you can get much better even without profession in that world, so he's like proof for people to explore beyond what profession gives you, or lack thereof.
They seem to lead to a society where you are limited to what your profession declares you to be. You can't be a baker who uses magic if you have the "wizard" profession, for example. You were born as a wizard so you have to be just that.

Basically, these stories with people born with either an inate job or power are just... made to be deconstructed, I guess.
They are just really focused parodies of rpg systems, taken to the extreme.

Probably because, as I watched in a video just recently, the whole jrpg idea came from Ultima and Wizardry, and... due to translation issues, while the original Wizardry was a dark comedy, in Japan it was taken as a nihilistic world.
Meaning their whole basis for these rpg-based worlds comes from crapsack.

Users who are viewing this thread