Style Guide

୧⍢⃝୨
Staff
Super Moderator
Would be nice to set a convention for Bookwalker links to series with multiple volumes:
Currently people set those links either

Like this
Or like this

Those two pages are really different:
  • The former features the first volume, but you will need to scroll down to see other volumes.
  • The latter displays all volumes in a horizontal list form at first, you can change the display mode into a vertical list form and sort the volumes using the provided filters on the page.

IMO the latter is better for all the features I mentioned, the former doesn't allow you to do any of that.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
Would be nice to set a convention for Bookwalker links to series with multiple volumes:

Like this

Or like this

• The former features the first volume, but you will need to scroll down to see other volumes.
  • The latter displays all volumes in a horizontal list form at first, you can change the display mode into a vertical list form and sort the volumes using the provided filters on the page.

IMO the latter is better for all the features I mentioned, the former doesn't allow you to do any of that.
Does everything on BW have a /list page, or is it only for series with multiple volumes? If everything has it we could force it.

୧⍢⃝୨
Staff
Super Moderator
Does everything on BW have a /list page
Yes, kind of.

e.g. this title has only one volume
If you scroll down a bit, after the book info, you will find this:
image.png

If you click it, it will redirect you into it's /list page

Contributor
But the former has the list of volumes along with a volume 1 preview and information like full list of creators, publisher, label, initial publication date etc.
The latter just has the volume list.

୧⍢⃝୨
Staff
Super Moderator
But the former has the list of volumes along with a volume 1 preview and information like full list of creators, publisher, label, initial publication date etc.
I'm pretty sure MangaDex could include all that info in their website. So you really won't need to open Bookwalker for specifically that.
But until then, fair point.

Power Uploader
If a chapter is split into 2 parts, but both retain the same numbering and title, how are you supposed to name them?

e.g. for a chapter titled "Syzygy"
1.1 - Syzygy
1.2 - Syzygy
or
1.1 - Syzygy 1
1.2 - Syzygy 2
or else?

Staff
Super Moderator
If a chapter is split into 2 parts, but both retain the same numbering and title, how are you supposed to name them?

e.g. for a chapter titled "Syzygy"

or

or else?
However the raws handle it.

Power Uploader
A few questions regarding the "primary title." The style guide says there should be one primary title per language, but how do you set which title is primary for each language? As I see it on the edit screen, there's only one "Title" at the top, with no way of setting which language it is, then any number of alt titles where you can set the individual languages.

So going by this guide, I assume that the singular title at the top is the Primary title, but what language should it be, the original language for that manga series (generally romanized Japanese) or English? It seems very inconsistent across titles and the style guide doesn't cover this.

Also, is there any way to set which of the alternative titles displays along with the primary title? For example, if the primary title is the official English, can you set it to display the romanized Japanese title as the undertitle (instead of another variant of the English title)? If the primary title is Japanese, how do you designate which of the many various English titles as the "official" one that displays underneath the Japanese title?

Last edited:
Power Uploader
Okay, so there is a language tag for the main title, but only mods can view/edit it?

Though I'm still unclear which language we're supposed to be using for the main title, the (romanized) original source language or English (regardless of what the hidden language tag is set to, as we're unable to see it). Looking through the titles you edited in other posts, most of them seem to be in the original source language, but it's not entirely consistent as some are in English.

Last edited:
Staff
Super Moderator
At the moment, there's only one primary title and it should either be English or the original language (romanized for JA/CN/KR) pending the title rework. This has a locale tag, but it's unused and should be ignored.

In the future, there'll be one primary title per language, and the locale tags will matter.

In both cases, there are multiple alternative titles per language.

Group Leader

Like this

Or like this

Totally agree

Staff
Super Moderator
Putting this down so I don't forget; chapter numbering conventions for bonus chapters in works that have a lot of them and numbering schemes that ignore mainline chapters.

If a series has 46 chapters and fifteen epilogue chapters, then starts again at chapter 47, is there a better way to handle that than 46.1-46.15?

Users who are viewing this thread