Suggestions for new tags (I will start with age gap but you can add others)

Dex-chan lover
I am creating this suggestion topic, so people can make a list of possible useful tags and maybe explain your reasoning (there are a lot of tag topics, this would be one to generate a list).
My first suggestion is age gap, my personal reason is that I don't like romcoms with an age gap when it's a minor and an adult (I don't care if it's two adults thought, like Super no Ura de Yani Sū Futari. But I don't know if it is possible to make two different tags to separate both of them) If anyone else suggests other tags, I will create a list and keep updating this topic

• Age Gap
  • Age Gap that have adult and minor (have no idea how to call it or if it's possible, but yeah)
  • Netorare
  • Childcare
  • Succubus
  • Assasins
  • Idols
  • Economics
  • False underdog
  • Journey
  • No Plot Armour
  • Female Protagonist
  • Motorsports / Automotive
  • Xianxia
  • Werewolf
  • Educative
  • One-page (mangas with one or two pages per chapter)
  • Hetero
  • Vore
  • journey / "world seeing"
  • tower / dungeon
  • western/eastern esthetics
  • possession
  • kingdom
  • enterprise
  • "Civ-Tech"
  • yandere
  • Slavery

Last edited:
Upvote 8
Supporter
The one I think are prevalent / different enough to have a tag

-childcare, that one is pretty obvious with all the """vilainess""" step mother webtoon alone
-idols, pretty surprised this one is not there but ig idols is more prevalent on the anime scene
-"1 to 4 pages / Twitter" they are very prevalent and the flow of those story (when they have one) is very different than a story that allow them self to have more space per "chapter"

Now for some "nice" to have

-journey / "world seeing" for the story where the world is it's own character and has a focus, could be a "made in abyss" or "dungeon meshi" to cite some popular but quite a lot would fall into
-economy is a niche but i do not think people would mind to have it
-motorsports same as economy from the top of my head I can think of some without ever reading anything more than initial d
-female/male protagonists, again often written differently and sometimes you want to find one instead of the other, also would eliminate the tag reverse harem as you could chose FL + harem instead and we already have the shota/loli tag for what it is worth, I will leave the discussion about the specific term of "female/women male/man as I am not a native speaker of English (in my language the former is kinda sketch to use but I have no idea about the EN community)
-tower / dungeon, I do not read story about the ever more popular koreen tower / hunter trope so correct me if I am wrong but they may deserve their own tag at this point, dungeon crawler may be wider but still validé tag
-western/eastern esthetics, self explanatory, like if you go eastern + history + military you get kingdom and western + video game you get a lot of isekai
-fashion I do not know if this is prevalent enough to have a tag but I am throwing it in
-possession a lot of isekai vilainess end up being possession, some people may be tired of reading possession story that never addresses the problems with taking control of someone body and would enjoy being able to filter them out of the vilainess tag... (yes I am talking for myself loll

Extention / change of some tags

-video game should be extended to more than being isekai in a world that is expressly said to be of a VG to any story where floating windows, xp, skill point or stuff like that exist, they have a very different way to handle character progression. Like wuxia cultivation is pretty different than more organic progression. Now I am aware that those element did come from tabletop game first but I think the tag name is not a problem
-Loli / Shota tag is probably more "charged" than necessary, like yaoi can be, we changed Yuri and Yaoi to the less charged girl's/boy's love and people can chose the level of spices they want with the content rating, so I propose the tag "Kids", what made me think of that was seeing ascendance of a bookworm part 2 being tagged lol I but not part 1 or 3, some team fear to put the tag as some people have strong feeling about the "Loli/Shota" tag when nobody would have tough twice about tagging them "Kids"

Their is a lot of other than I can think of or change / merge in the "theme" section but I do not know if the mangadex staff is trying keep the tag under a certain number or not
Also my keyboard is dead and typing on mobile is kinda a pain (sorry for not hyperlink to the Manga named)

Dex-chan lover
Extention / change of some tags

-video game should be extended to more than being isekai in a world that is expressly said to be of a VG to any story where floating windows, xp, skill point or stuff like that exist, they have a very different way to handle character progression. Like wuxia cultivation is pretty different than more organic progression. Now I am aware that those element did come from tabletop game first but I think the tag name is not a problem
-Loli / Shota tag is probably more "charged" than necessary, like yaoi can be, we changed Yuri and Yaoi to the less charged girl's/boy's love and people can chose the level of spices they want with the content rating, so I propose the tag "Kids", what made me think of that was seeing ascendance of a bookworm part 2 being tagged lol I but not part 1 or 3, some team fear to put the tag as some people have strong feeling about the "Loli/Shota" tag when nobody would have tough twice about tagging them "Kids"

Their is a lot of other than I can think of or change / merge in the "theme" section but I do not know if the mangadex staff is trying keep the tag under a certain number or not
Also my keyboard is dead and typing on mobile is kinda a pain (sorry for not hyperlink to the Manga named)
Hum... I don't know if they could control this, if I am not wrong the users that put the tags.

Dex-chan lover
You know kingdom or enterprise building need tag

The one where MC building it's territory and advancing civilization. Tagged name "Civ-Tech"

Contributor
Journey: Where the Main character or group is on a journey and travels the world, though with a bit more of a focus on the traveling part, like Kino's Journey or Bard Loen.
Too similar as adventure :/

No Plot Armour: Stories where being part of the main cast offers little to no protection against dying to a degree surpassing normal amounts of deaths (Like mentor, love interests in the early chapters, etc.) Generally ones with the anybody can die feeling.
That's just a spoiler.

A Hetero tag, the ability to filter out works which contain it would be useful. More than once I've come across a manga with the girls' love tag only for it to be mostly hetero. There should be a way to know if a manga is purely yuri/yaoi beyond researching it or just hoping for the best.
Go to dynasty scans

Tagged name "Civ-Tech"
This can work with just economy.

Dex-chan lover
Too similar as adventure :/
Would say that there is a difference, with journeys being more about experiencing the place and moving on, while adventures are way more focus on incidents and using it to reach greater heights in a more linear plot.

That's just a spoiler.
Not really, just a "Main Characters have no death protection" thing.
Also, not anymore of a spoiler than Zombies, Mecha, the more erotica+-related tags, etc. all of them tell similarly that these things will appear and usually, they have an inciting incident in the first chapter.

Contributor
Not really, just a "Main Characters have no death protection" thing.
If the tag is selected it means someone will die. Zombies it's the world being spoiled. Like wow, RE is a zombie game, surprising for the characters inside the game but for the player it was totally obvious.

I mean, only title where someone important dies will have this tag.

Supporter
I suggest there should be a new Content tag for "Slavery". I see in the forum threads that a lot of people get disgusted at a manga when yet another isekai protagonist resorts to having a slave, is forced into having a slave, etc. Having a content warning for that could help people skip out on those series.

This suggestion prompted by the sudden forced slavery plot in Isekai Walking chapter 69.

Last edited:
Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
I suggest there should be a new Content tag for "Slavery". I see in the forum threads that a lot of people get disgusted at a manga when yet another isekai protagonist resorts to having a slave, is forced into having a slave, etc. Having a content warning for that could help people skip out on those series.

This suggestion prompted by the sudden forced slavery plot in Isekai Walking chapter 69.
Already discussed to death in this thread, and IMO it doesn't warrant a tag for reasons explained in the linked post.

Dex-chan lover

Well, luckily the series ended at chapter 30 with the main characters tragic death and didn't devolve into such rubbish. :clap:

Dex-chan lover
If Parenthood is added to the list of manga Themes, stuff like Ikoku Nikki, False Child and My Girl will become much easier to find. And it'd make sense, because adults taking care of children is the principal theme of these works.

Dex-chan lover
There is a theme that exists in other sites and it is missing here which is "LGTBIQA+ topics" (or just LGBTIQA+). I find it necessary because people confuse genre and content resulting in girls love/boys love tag (a genre one) to be added to titles that are not story-wise of that category and the original publisher/author doesn't catalog them as such. Furthermore, not only it will add coherence and an accurate search of said genres but also will help relating all the non-hetero spectrum into a single label, making it easier to both find and exclude. It is a simple tag to apply and it will end discussions of whether one of the aforementioned genre tags should be added or removed, and that way it will remain faithful to the source material (which only uses genres) while helping in the title search.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread