Support for webp image format :rejected:

Power Uploader
It would be convenient if Mangadex supported webp format along with png and jpg, webp allows for much smaller file size without compromising image quality.

Power Uploader
@josephgomes619

https://caniuse.com/#feat=webp

It doesn't have widespread support yet. Encouraging scanlators to publish in webp would ostracize the unsupported browsers. For MangaDex to support those browsers, they would have to convert webp to png/jpg. Since they're already experiencing image issues, adding image conversion would only increase the problem.

It would also mess with my ripper so let's not :)

Power Uploader
How would that be encourage/ostracize anybody? I am just talking about having support for it, nobody has to convert images between the formats. Sorry das, I do not agree with you.

Power Uploader
@josephgomes619

Did you look at the link? IE, Firefox, and Safari all don't support it currently. So people who use those browsers couldn't read chapters published in webp format.

If MangaDex does choose to support webp, they would have to convert the webp images to pngs/jpgs as a fallback for unsupported browsers.

It's not a matter of opinion. It's just fact.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
das is right, the lack of proper support on basically everything except Chrome means there's no good reason to allow it. We'd be drowning in broken image reports.

Users who are viewing this thread