Suterare Seijo no Isekai Gohantabi - Vol. 3 Ch. 15.2

Dex-chan lover
The convenience of isekai language. Some do a translation skill, some don't even bother with that.

Fat and protein are what vegetarians and especially vegans need to consider the most. Just calories, not so much. There's plenty of staple food you get from the earth. That's always been the main source of calories outside areas where fishing is predominant.

But tomatoes being a bit sour isn't that abnormal? Depends on type and all, but still.

It's kind of weird to have a city so close to the sea, but not actually connecting to it. Especially if it's the only port city, there'd be a bustling cityscape at the docks. What's drawn there isn't a port city, but a city adjecant to some small docks.

The way she's saying it sounds like cleaning the sand is some kind of special concern.

Potations and lingonberries was the typical starvation food here back in the day. You can survive entirely on that for quite some time without any major deficiencies. Potatoes are relatively nutrient rich, and most types of berries have tons of vitamins.
Some Mangaka research their subject material, in full, some research 'some' of their material, some just make things up blindly (for convenience or otherwise). This seems to be the latter.
Still, somewhat a surprise given Japan is an island nation, but there ARE inland places away from the ocean, so theoretically it would be possible to have never seen a port. Then again, it's also easy to assume things about the distant past, such as having an entirely walled populated area with the docks outside of it...

Dex-chan lover
Bean, lentils, potatoes, yam, snip
I think the issue is that they tried a snip
Fat and protein are what vegetarians snip

I wonder if she will ever consider she is dealing with entirely different species who could have wildly different dietary needs. Oh sure it doesn't seem vegetables are actively poisonous to anyone she had fed, but not ever person on her new team needs the same vitamins, minerals, and proteins for their long term health.

Dex-chan lover
Bean, lentils, potatoes, yam, olives and probably a bunch more gives more calories than fucking shrimp, but hey Shrimp = "meat" = better vegetables because "vegetables don't give many calories"... This is stupid.
it is stupid, food industry had too many "gift" for the researcher.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter! I always look forward to this one since I love their personalities. Looking forward to learning more about the rest of the party sometime.

Dex-chan lover
Typesetting took a bit of a dip near the end, but otherwise passable work

Dex-chan lover
The man is a dragon ogre. For all we know, Dragon ogres are obligate carnivores which is why vegetables are minimal calories to him.

Group Leader
Oh shit I messed up that one sorry guys, it fixed now

btw the TS staff PC (for this series) was broken so I did it because it's been a while soo yeaa :worry:

also the TL staff seems busy too so I'll do the TL of ch 16 ig :nyoron:

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Oh shit I messed up that one sorry guys, it fixed now

btw the TS staff PC (for this series) was broken so I did it because it's been a while soo yeaa :worry:

also the TL staff seems busy too so I'll do the TL of ch 16 ig :nyoron:
Thank you very much for fixing it so quickly. It looks great now.

Dex-chan lover
The man is a dragon ogre. For all we know, Dragon ogres are obligate carnivores which is why vegetables are minimal calories to him.
IKR? She has already encountered this once when she was informed the elven dude could in fact eat meat*gasp*, so instead of just assuming, she should have sat down and had a proper discussion about dietary habits and long term needs.

Dex-chan lover
IKR? She has already encountered this once when she was informed the elven dude could in fact eat meat*gasp*, so instead of just assuming, she should have sat down and had a proper discussion about dietary habits and long term needs.

Shes only been in the world for a few days. She needs time to adjust to a complete change in profession and world. She has only ever been a home cook who cooked for herself. She's now a professional cook, cooking for 4 people.

She probably needs time to adjust to the considerations she can handle (how much food does she have to cook, where to source ingredients, adjusting to day to day meal planning for 5 people on a budget in a currency she has no familiarity with) before she can tackle the otherworldly considerations (everyone's race and how that concerns their diet, dietary requirements and preference).

Also they're adults and if there's something they can't eat, they would tell her.

Double-page supporter
We didn't do it faster because everyone from our staff was in haitus
Yeah, was being sarcastic. it's not often that split chapters get delayed like that, (except for certain sketchy groups who do so often) I'm happy it's even getting translated. Perhaps I'm a bit Jaded by all the translations for stuff out there, that never gets finished.

Dex-chan lover
Shes only been in the world for a few days. She needs time to adjust to a complete change in profession and world. She has only ever been a home cook who cooked for herself. She's now a professional cook, cooking for 4 people.

She probably needs time to adjust to the considerations she can handle (how much food does she have to cook, where to source ingredients, adjusting to day to day meal planning for 5 people on a budget in a currency she has no familiarity with) before she can tackle the otherworldly considerations (everyone's race and how that concerns their diet, dietary requirements and preference).
I can agree there will be some culture shock and an adjustment period, but as someone who has cooked privately and professionally she is going about it completely the wrong way.

Its not even that difficult or unintuitive. She hasn't asked what her clients what they want to eat, her budget, or even ammounts needed. She just assumes and clearly just pushes thrue her agenda till the end. Even the guy she took with her is mostly ignored and viewed as having a childish desire to only eat meat...
Also they're adults and if there's something they can't eat, they would tell her.
Not true at all. Their cooking skills start at inedible, unidentifiable masses of mystery objects and ends with mostly palatable simple stews and fire roasted meat. They might be able to pick out some of the more obvious offenders, but stocks, sauces, and marinades of a modern cooks repertoire would be completely mysteries. While chopped, battered and fried foods might be easier to identify after bitten into.

Just ask anyone with a peanut allergy just how insidious and ubiquitous they are.

Dex-chan lover
I can agree there will be some culture shock and an adjustment period, but as someone who has cooked privately and professionally she is going about it completely the wrong way.

Wouldn't it be lovely if everyone automatically did everything the right way despite having absolutely no training or experience? If only we were all so skilled as to never make mistakes or errors.

If Rin was automatically a competent professional at professional cooking and had no character flaws, we wouldn't have much narrative conflict or character growth. Some people learn by experience because of the mistakes they make or the difficulties they've overcome. Sometimes these difficulties are entirely their own creation, caused by the character's mistakes and character flaws.

Most people with allergies/dietary requirements in adulthood can speak up about their allergy/dietary requirements.

Dex-chan lover
Wouldn't it be lovely if everyone automatically did everything the right way despite having absolutely no training or experience? If only we were all so skilled as to never make mistakes or errors.

If Rin was automatically a competent professional at professional cooking and had no character flaws, we wouldn't have much narrative conflict or character growth. Some people learn by experience because of the mistakes they make or the difficulties they've overcome. Sometimes these difficulties are entirely their own creation, caused by the character's mistakes and character flaws.
Nah I'm not so ignorant to believe that, OTOH ignorance hardly stops authors from writing such either.
Most people with allergies/dietary requirements in adulthood can speak up about their allergy/dietary requirements.
Actually that is the crux of the problem. She hasn't listened to the people she is feeding almost from the get go. She has taken her preconceived ideals from another world, and like most isekai protagonist, forced them onto those around her. But honestly it's more the author's fault then his OC.

However none of that absolve the MC from failing to literally cater to her clients needs rather then her own misguided good intentions. But it will all turn out for the best, not because of anything the MC does, but because the ignorance of the author will just gloss over the whole issue and perpetuate the cliché like so many others.

Users who are viewing this thread