Sweet Blue Flowers

Aggregator gang
The second half of the story is all over the place. It's just a huge mess... It's a shame, because it started out great.

The lack of hopeful comments is disturbing. Aoi Hana may have some narrative detours and an ending hard to swallow, but it's definitely a great, heartfelt manga about self-discovery. The introspective characterization is so compelling and empathetic. It's undoubtedly a flawed masterpiece.

The ending really ruined it for me. The last four chapters consisting of the hackneyed and annoying shoujo manga trope that is the 'last minute breakup for getting back together again in 10 years' at the end of what was a very inspired and original work that didn't rely on building blocks, but rather built its own narrative from scratch, felt like a ruined orgasm.

I just spent a day to reread this manga after noticing that I didnt actually have it marked as completed.

For me, the fact that the manga was able to portray such empathetic characters made the overly convoluted plot and empty ending hurt that much harder.

I think that in regards to the plot, it may have just been too much drama for me, but someone who likes an abundance of drama would appreciate that artistic choice.

But for the ending, and the earlier breakup, not getting fumi's response and getting the events cut off made them feel empty. The ending didnt do nearly enough to make for a fulfilling conclusion compared to the massive amount of heartbreak in the manga.

Whats with the grown dudes hanging over high school girls? I've seen worse since its a manga after all but its especially jarring here.

"Aoi Hana" is one of the best yuri manga, even though it suffers somewhat at the end from Shimira-sensei's unexpectedly abrupt ending of both "Aoi Hana" and "Hōrō Musuko" in the same moth without much, if any, explanation as to why that decision was taken.

This was pleasant to read but the art style made it difficult for me to differentiate the characters. The down to earth style fitted the flow of the plot perfectly though

it has many flaws; extending from confusing character designs, difficult to follow narrative, side-stories that ruin the momentum of the main one, confusing layouts, a somewhat rushed and unsatisfying ending, etc... Yet I love it.
The bitter-sweetness that this manga has to offer left a very big impression on me; and seeing this characters grow, learn and adapt was well worth the flaws that came with it.

Users who are viewing this thread